From: Cimjet on
Hi Laurel
> Do you know the origin of the name "eternal-september?"
Sorry don't know.
Glad to see you running.
Regards
Cimjet

From: Ulrich Korndoerfer on
Hi Laurel,

Laurel schrieb:
> Thanks. I'm all set now. Seeing all the old favorites in eternal-september
> via OE.
>
> Do you know the origin of the name "eternal-september?"

The name refers to an old Newsgroups insider joke. Once upon a time (it
was in a month following september) several popular ISPs (AFAIR AOL was
among them) set up their own newsservers and such made the usenet
publicly available to the masses. Since then, the joke ? goes, that
Usenet went down, at least in quality of the posts there, because those
people had no idea of how Usenet works and how the rules are. It would
have been better, if the preceeding september would have lasted for ever
(which implies that it would have been better not to open the Usenet to
the masses).

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.prosource.de/Downloads/
MS Newsgruppen Alternativen -> http://www.prosource.de/ms-ng-umzug.html
From: Ulrich Korndoerfer on
PS

If you look closely at the home page of www.external-september.org, you
will see that there the current time is counted from origin september 1993.

Currently we are at Thu Sep 6127 23:48:22 +02:00 1993, which seems to be
the 6127th day after 1st of september 1993. :-)

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Laurel wrote:
> Do you know the origin of the name "eternal-september?"

Eternal September (also September that never ended)[1] is a Usenet
slang expression, coined by Dave Fischer, for the period beginning
September 1993.[2] The expression encapsulates the belief that an
endless influx of new users (newbies) since that date has continuously
degraded standards of discourse and behavior on Usenet and the wider
Internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: C. Kevin Provance on

"Laurel" <FakeMail(a)Hotmail.com> wrote in message
: Thanks, but what I need is "newuser" for both. Or "general."
:

Good luck with that. More efforts on MSFT's part to FUD you into their
collective. Web boards should take care of that since they have no logicla
order to them. Or purpose.

You also need an official MSFT ID collar and allow access for MSFT's
outsourced ad server(s) to access your computer.

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk! Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!