From: mjt on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 11:38:12 +0200
"JBJ \(4920\)" <thunder(a)spoergmig.invalid> wrote:

> Thanx to Ann Knight in another group this one is what I looked for
>
> http://www.ylmf.org/en/index.html

Good luck interacting with their community :)
(unless of course, you read/write/speak Han)

http://www.ylmf.net/thread.php?fid=323

This was one of my talking points in my first reply

--
Nothing recedes like success. - Walter Winchell
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: J G Miller on
On Saturday, July 3rd, 2010 at 08:39:13 -0500, Mjt pondered:

> If they've never used a PC before, how is it familiarity with Windows
> will be beneficial?

Because what it is probably all about is that the issue of the
systems being Window like has actually nothing to do with the
people using them, but the person who is installing and maintaining
them.

After all the person who has been asking for advice on which
GNU/Linux distribution to use, does not even use GNU/Linux himself.

QUOTE

for what I saw Mepis has more the look I'm looking for

UNQUOTE

Nothing mentioned about asking the people who are going to be
using the systems what they would like to use.

Consider

QUOTE
in the big cities the universities is starting to teach Linux,
therefore my idea was to ease them into it - so they would have
an advantage in the future - with a linux version that was so
similair to windows as it could get.
UNQUOTE

Why would learning a version of Linux which looks and behaves like
Windoze be an advantage to somebody who is going to learn what
a real GNU/Linux system looks and behaves like?
From: mjt on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 13:51:17 +0000 (UTC)
J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:

> Why would learning a version of Linux which looks and behaves like
> Windoze be an advantage to somebody who is going to learn what
> a real GNU/Linux system looks and behaves like?

Exactly.

And a Chinese distro is going to make it much more difficult
in the long run. But that's not a consideration for the short
term ... but they'll learn the hard way when they hit a snag
or, potentially, if "ylmf" decides to deep-six the distro.

--
Consultants are mystical people who ask a company
for a number and then give it back to them.

From: J G Miller on
On Saturday, July 3rd, 2010 at 10:01:48h -0500, Mjt wrote:

> And a Chinese distro is going to make it much more difficult in the long
> run.

Yes, they are not going to get much of a response if they post in English
in the Ymlf support forum.
From: Aragorn on
On Saturday 03 July 2010 11:15 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
JBJ (4920) wrote...

> "JBJ (4920)" <thunder(a)spoergmig.invalid> skrev i meddelelsen
>
>> Hello, I know that this might enrage allot of linux fans, but have to
>> ask anyway:) Which Linux version looks and feels most like windows so
>> that the user wont really feel that much different using linux?
>>
>> I hope getting allot of response and some links and screenshoots:)
>
> To all of you who presume that these people just can addapt, you can
> because you have experience with computers and used either windows or
> Mac before, but these live in the Philippines on an island and most of
> them don't have a pc - I mean to change that -

I'm afraid you are making a (classic) error of judgment. People who
have never used a computer before will be more likely to adopt
GNU/Linux than people who had previously been using Windows or a
MacIntosh, because the latter two present what a computer is, what a
computer can do and what the user can do onto the user in a skewed way.

People who have never worked with a computer before therefore don't have
their minds corrupted about what a computer is and what it should
behave like. It is much easier to teach those people to use a
GNU/Linux system than someone who has been using Windows before,
because the ex-Windows user only wants to turn GNU/Linux into Windows.

> A friend of mine is running a wellfare organisation that brings pc's
> to the schools there and I repair and set up the HW.

Good. Set them up with GNU/Linux, so that these people will learn
something about what computers *really* can do, while at the same time
they will be spared from becoming part of the big pool of botnet
computers that send out spam and distribute viruses on a daily basis
without that their owners know about it.

> Most of the available pc's, around in internet cafés, are with
> windows, and its only within the last 4 years the children have had a
> chance to learn IT in school, because its just been made available.
> For them its not just to jump from Windows to Linux.

For the kind of tasks a person visits an internet café for, GNU/Linux
will be just as easy or difficult as Windows. People who visit
internet café's go there to surf and read e-mail, and perhaps do some
chatting on IRC. All of that is equally possible with GNU/Linux, and
perhaps even more so than with Windows, because Windows might require
that additional software be installed, while GNU/Linux is a complete
system.

> But in the big cities the universities is starting to teach Linux,
> therefore my idea was to ease them into it - so they would have an
> advantage in the future - with a linux version that was so similair to
> windows as it could get.

That is your mistake. If you cater to their Windows habits, then all
they're going to ever want is Windows. It's like an addiction. Once
exposed to Windows long enough for one to adopt it, one becomes
*adapted" to it, and one tends to start thinking of computers in terms
of the properties of Windows, instead of the properties of the computer
itself.

> Then they can start to experiment after they have learned
> the basic's.

They can learn those basics on GNU/Linux just as well, and more too.
Windows doens't teach anyone anything, it *conditions* people. There's
a difference there. A computer is supposed to serve humanity, not the
other way around.

> But its not only for the children, but also for the parents who never
> used a pc before and didn't grew up with it.

All the more reason as to why you would want to expose them to GNU/Linux
and its configurability and customizability, so that they don't think
of a computer the way Microsoft presents it to the user.

> All resumés and applications these days, has to be written on either
> typewriter or pc and printed out - that is if you want the job. These
> people earn about 7$ a day, you think they can afford a pc with a
> legal windows license - no and therefore there is allot of virus
> floating around. But Linux is free and not easy to get virus on.

And it's versatile, and educational, and stable, and portable, and
robust, and more logical.

> I can scrape together really cheap pc's by using surplus components,
> and they will work and the idea is then to put linux on these. But as
> I have stated it has to be so similair to windows as possible, because
> the children are learning windows in school.

That is a mistake. Even if they learn about Windows in school, you
should not expose them to Microsoft conditioning and indoctrination.
Keep their minds open. You'd be doing them a big favor.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)