From: JBJ (4920) on
"mjt" <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> skrev i meddelelsen
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 11:38:12 +0200
> "JBJ \(4920\)" <thunder(a)spoergmig.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Thanx to Ann Knight in another group this one is what I looked for
>>
>> http://www.ylmf.org/en/index.html
>
> Good luck interacting with their community :)
> (unless of course, you read/write/speak Han)
>
> http://www.ylmf.net/thread.php?fid=323
>

> This was one of my talking points in my first reply
>
> --
> Nothing recedes like success. - Walter Winchell
> <<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

Well, Ni-hao=hello si-yen=goodbye zhe-zhe=thank you bu-zhe-zhe=no thank
you

--

Mvh / with kind regards

JBJ (4920)

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Aragorn:

> [...]
> computers that send out spam and distribute viruses on a daily basis
> without that their owners know about it.
>
>> Most of the available pc's, around in internet cafés, are with windows,
>> and its only within the last 4 years the children have had a chance to
>> learn IT in school, because its just been made available. For them its
>> not just to jump from Windows to Linux.
>
> For the kind of tasks a person visits an internet café for, GNU/Linux
> will be just as easy or difficult as Windows. People who visit internet
> café's go there to surf and read e-mail, and perhaps do some chatting on
> IRC. All of that is equally possible with GNU/Linux, and perhaps even
> more so than with Windows, because Windows might require that additional
> software be installed, while GNU/Linux is a complete system.
>
>> But in the big cities the universities is starting to teach Linux,
>> therefore my idea was to ease them into it - so they would have an
>> advantage in the future - with a linux version that was so similair to
>> windows as it could get.
>
> That is your mistake. If you cater to their Windows habits, then all
> they're going to ever want is Windows. It's like an addiction. Once
> exposed to Windows long enough for one to adopt it, one becomes
> *adapted" to it, and one tends to start thinking of computers in terms
> of the properties of Windows, instead of the properties of the computer
> itself.
>
>> Then they can start to experiment after they have learned the basic's.
>
> They can learn those basics on GNU/Linux just as well, and more too.
> Windows doens't teach anyone anything, it *conditions* people. There's
> a difference there. A computer is supposed to serve humanity, not the
> other way around.
>
>> But its not only for the children, but also for the parents who never
>> used a pc before and didn't grew up with it.
>
> All the more reason as to why you would want to expose them to GNU/Linux
> and its configurability and customizability, so that they don't think of
> a computer the way Microsoft presents it to the user.
>
>> All resumés and applications these days, has to be written on either
>> typewriter or pc and printed out - that is if you want the job. These
>> people earn about 7$ a day, you think they can afford a pc with a legal
>> windows license - no and therefore there is allot of virus floating
>> around. But Linux is free and not easy to get virus on.
>
> And it's versatile, and educational, and stable, and portable, and
> robust, and more logical.
>
>> I can scrape together really cheap pc's by using surplus components,
>> and they will work and the idea is then to put linux on these. But as I
>> have stated it has to be so similair to windows as possible, because
>> the children are learning windows in school.
>
> That is a mistake. Even if they learn about Windows in school, you
> should not expose them to Microsoft conditioning and indoctrination.
> Keep their minds open. You'd be doing them a big favor.

Damn fine post. I second it.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 07:55:30 -0400, JBJ (4920) <thunder(a)spoergmig.invalid> wrote:

> For Linux, well liveCD works but when installed sound and video have
> problems.

Boot the live cd and copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the hard drive, and
use lsmod to find out which module is being used for sound (just
use lsmod>somefile.txt on the hard drive, and compare the loaded
modules, to what's running when booted from the installed version.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: billconner on
On Jul 2, 1:39 pm, philo <ph...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 10:54 AM, JBJ (4920) wrote:
>
> > Hello, I know that this might enrage allot of linux fans, but have to ask
> > anyway:) Which Linux version looks and feels most like windows so that the
> > user wont really feel that much different using linux?
>
> > I hope getting allot of response and some links and screenshoots:)
>
> > Thanx in advance:)
>
> There is no version of Linux that has any similarity to Microsoft Windows
>
> however there are numerous windows managers that anyone who can use Windows
> should have no trouble adapting to.
>
> Just for example, I use Gnome
>
> and when guests to my house need computer access and I let them use my
> machine
>
> not once has anyone ever said:
>
> "Hey, this is different, how do I use it?"

If you run a virtual machine you can have some version of MS-Windows
running in a Linux environment. Then load the Windows apps you want
using the virtual machine's virtual CD. I use Sun's virtualbox on
Fedora 11 and installed XP. This way you have all the virtues of Linux
and still have Windows for those who want it. You need enough RAM to
give the VM a Gig and the host a Gig, minimum. You'll need the extra
disk space for the VM.

Gnome can be configured to look a lot like Windows and the point and
click stuff will be the same. This at least makes the transition to
Linux pretty painless.

Bill
From: mjt on
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
billconner <freon96(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > and when guests to my house need computer access and I let them use
> > my machine
> > not once has anyone ever said:
> > "Hey, this is different, how do I use it?"

> If you run a virtual machine you can have some version of MS-Windows
> running in a Linux environment. Then load the Windows apps you want
> using the virtual machine's virtual CD. I use Sun's virtualbox on
> Fedora 11 and installed XP. This way you have all the virtues of Linux
> and still have Windows for those who want it. You need enough RAM to
> give the VM a Gig and the host a Gig, minimum. You'll need the extra
> disk space for the VM.

And of course there are those people (like me) who do
not own any Windows OS or have a legal CD of said OS.

The OP is in the same boat - did you read the original
post? They don't want to pay licensing fees, so your
idea, though valid for other reasons, doesn't apply here.

--
n = ((n >> 1) & 0x55555555) | ((n << 1) & 0xaaaaaaaa);
n = ((n >> 2) & 0x33333333) | ((n << 2) & 0xcccccccc);