From: David J Taylor on
"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
[]
> The real question is if there will be any more P&S cameras that include
> contrast detect AF. I only know of one (a Ricoh model) that ever
> existed.
[]

A typo, I guess?

From: Pete on
On 2010-06-07 13:28:42 +0100, whisky-dave said:

> "GMAN" <Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org> wrote in message
>> In article
>> <7055b134-9c54-4649-b6d4-cb3b3edf4826(a)q36g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
>> Twibil <nowayjose6(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Jun 6, 1:04=A0pm, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Will phase focusing go the way of the dinosaur?"
>>>
>>> You mean "will phase focusing eventually evolve into birds and remain
>>> very much on the scene for the forseeable future?"
>>>
>>> Seems unlikely.
>> There wasn't any T Rex's left after the great extinction to evolve into the
>> chicken!!!
>
> So how did KFC evolve from KFT.Rex ?

The only records we have that may shed some light on these mysteries is
The Flinstones.

--
Pete

From: LOL! on
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 04:16:59 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>The real question is if there will be any more P&S cameras that include
>contrast detect AF. I only know of one (a Ricoh model) that ever existed.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

There you have it folks. A perfect example of the sum-total of knowledge of
this pretend-photographer SMS troll.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

From: SMS on
On 07/06/10 6:46 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
> "SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
> []
>> The real question is if there will be any more P&S cameras that
>> include contrast detect AF. I only know of one (a Ricoh model) that
>> ever existed.
> []
>
> A typo, I guess?

Oops, sorry. Yes, s.b. "The real question is if there will be any more
P&S cameras that include phase detect AF. I only know of one (a Ricoh
model) that ever existed."
From: Ray Fischer on
James Nagler <jnagler(a)spamproofed.net> wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
>>"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Forget for the moment the benefits of going away from phase focusing,
>>> such as much lower cost going to contrast focusing. Phase's main
>>> important claim to fame is speed. But that is diminishing, or
>>> contrast is improving. The main problem with phase focusing is the
>>> constant problems with back or front focusing with various lenses,
>>> doesn't matter what brand of camera. This is a pain, one that
>>> contrast focusing apparently does not have or if it does, the
>>> incidence is very small. Most decent DSLR's now come with
>>> compensation features for this, but who wants to have to go though the
>>> elimination process for each lens they own and how often has this
>>> compensation not even been enough, or consistent?
>>
>>You appear to forget that phase-focusing provides an instantaneous and
>>continuous measurement not only of the direction of the focus error, but
>>its magnitude as well, so that the camera knows which direction to move
>>the lens, and by exactly how much to move it. One lens move. Focus done.
>>
>>Contrast focus, by comparison, takes time to evaluate how much in focus an
>>image is, moves the lens in an arbitrary direction, evaluates the focus
>>once again, has a 50% chance of finding the focus is worse so has to move
>>the lens in the other direction, has to evaluate the focus again, move the
>>lens, etc. etc., until the focus is worse again, so it's moved past the
>>point of best focus, and finally has to move the lens back to /about/ the
>>correct focus.
>
>You appear to forget that some contrast focusing cameras are just as fast
>as phase focusing cameras today.

Now you're just resorting to stupid lies out of desperation.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net