From: LOL! on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:15:02 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
<ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote:

>SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>> On 03/07/10 3:33 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>
>>> zoom P&S, just to prove your "fast lens" argument. Remember,
>>> adapters don't count: you can mount them to DSLR lenses just as
>>> well (and they work just as well).
>
>> Actually that's not true. All the experts agree that lens adapters on
>> P&S cameras work especially poorly, while adapters on D-SLR lenses work
>> fairly well.
>
>I stand corrected.
>
>-Wolfgang

Role-playing trolls correcting other role-playing trolls?

LOL!

From: Chris Malcolm on
SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
> On 03/07/10 3:33 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

>> So your decent at 800 and a fast lens comes to ISO 1600 in a
>> DSLR --- according to you --- and is beaten hands down. Oh,
>> you show me a 300mm f/2 lens or a 1200mm f/4 lens on a super
>> zoom P&S, just to prove your "fast lens" argument. Remember,
>> adapters don't count: you can mount them to DSLR lenses just as
>> well (and they work just as well).

> Actually that's not true. All the experts agree that lens adapters on
> P&S cameras work especially poorly, while adapters on D-SLR lenses work
> fairly well.

There's "experts" for you!

The rather large and rather expensive wide angle adapter for my rather
large P&S worked very well. Since the P&S had an APS-C 1.5 crop
sensor, and a zoom lens of similar characteristics to the general zoom
on my DSLR, I tried it out on my DSLR. It worked just as well on the
DSLR as on the P&S. I happily used it on the DSLR plus general zoom
until I got a wide angle zoom lens which went a lot wider and was a
lot smaller.

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.
From: David J Taylor on
> That's backwards, in my estimation. I think small-sensor models
> are jacks of all trades, and masters of some. Conversely, DSLR
> cameras may be better suited to specialized tasks.
>
> For example, my own Pentax K100D ("entry level" DSLR) would be
> perfect, if mounted on a copy stand. Its resolution is only 6
> megapixels; but, in terms of speed and coverage area, it would
> clearly beat the hell, out of any flatbed scanner.
>
> --
> Cordially,
> John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>

I would not expect everyone to share the same view, as different people
will have different aims and expectations. Considering that the price is
now similar, for what I do the DSLR as a general-purpose camera is the
better choice for me. I use the compact camera where I need something
light to carry or where being able to poke its lens through wire netting
may get a better photo. Your DSLR would also likely take portraits with
less distracting backgrounds, and at a lower light level.

Cheers,
David