From: John Navas on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:14:58 +0100, in
<i0g53j$1p4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>"John Navas" <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>[]
>> You haven't used my equipment by your own admission. Regardless, that
>> doesn't mean your limitations and judgments apply to me or anybody else
>> who knows how to use it without such difficulties. That it doesn't work
>> well for you doesn't mean it won't work well for others.
>>
>> I say my compact digital works better for me than any dSLR i've tried.
>> You say your dSLR works better for you than any compact digital you've
>> tried. Both are equally valid statements. Neither is any sort of
>> universal truth.

>I haven't used your precise model of camera, no, but I have used two
>models the same class of equipment from the same manufacturer to be aware
>of its limitations. I'm not talking about "trying", I'm talking about
>using as main camera for extended periods of time.

Sorry, but no -- since you haven't used my model camera, you're just
guessing -- there can be and *are* considerable differences between
similar models from the same manufacturer. I know because, unlike you,
I've used so many of them.

>BTW: I did not make the statement you wish to attribute to me - I use both
>DSLR and compact, choosing according to my needs at the time. Each have
>their own advantages, but fast operation and excellent low-light
>capabilities and not amongst the advantages of the small-sensor,
>contrast-detection auto-focus cameras.

For you. I have no such issues. Again: I say my compact digital works

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: David J Taylor on
"John Navas" <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
[]
> Imaging Resource agrees with me
> <http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ28/FZ28A.HTM>:
>
> The Lumix FZ28's zoom is quiet, smooth, and fast. It also has quite a
> few steps to choose from along its zoom range, while a great many
> cameras just zoom in large blocks that make framing your image
> precisely very difficult. NOT A PROBLEM WITH THE FZ28.
> [emphasis added]
>
> --
> Best regards,
> John

In its class, John, it may well be very good, but having a stepped rather
than a continuous zoom, and having to push a lever forwards and backwards
to frame an image, is a much slower process than the twist of a
mechanically coupled zoom.

Cheers,
David

From: David J Taylor on
"John Navas" <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
[]
> For you. I have no such issues. Again: I say my compact digital works
> better for me than any dSLR i've tried. You say your dSLR works better
> for you than any compact digital you've tried. Both are equally valid
> statements. Neither is any sort of universal truth.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> John

Again: I have not "tried" compacts, I have used them in both the bridge
(ZLR) and compact formats. Several models from the Panasonic range. Not
"tried" as looked at in a shop once, but "used" as in being the main
camera for several years.

Again: I still use both DSLR and compacts, according to my needs at the
time. I have not chosen one over the other.

I accept that both have different advantages, do you?

Cheers,
David

From: SMS on
On 01/07/10 1:29 AM, David J Taylor wrote:

> In its class, John, it may well be very good, but having a stepped
> rather than a continuous zoom, and having to push a lever forwards and
> backwards to frame an image, is a much slower process than the twist of
> a mechanically coupled zoom.

It's not impossible to have a mechanical zoom ring on a super-zoom, i.e.
the Sony R1 had it, as did a couple of others. It's just an expense that
manufacturers could no longer afford in their race to the bottom in
terms of prices for P&S cameras.

It's a shame that Sony decided not to continue the R1 product line,
you'd think there'd have been a market for a premium super-zoom with an
APS-C sensor and a mechanical zoom, but the decline in SLR prices hurt
it. There's now no super-zoom on the market that can give you anything
close to the low noise levels, depth of field, and high-ISO performance
anything remotely close to that of a D-SLR (forget about fast AF
focusing, that's just not going to happen with contrast-detection). It's
like none of the major players want to produce a high-end super-zoom for
fear of hurting their D-SLR sales, instead you see stuff like 4:3, Micro
4:3, and NEX, systems that will likely join film formats like APS, Disc,
126, and 110.

Some day I'd like to see a review of a Panasonic camera that didn't have
a statement about how the images are "good enough" despite the noise.
I.e. the Imaging Resource review of the FZ28 states, "Though there is an
ongoing problem with sensor noise at even the lowest ISOs, optical
quality and overall image quality are good enough that most buyers
ignore it and persist in blissful satisfaction with their faithful
little image makers." Every other review of this product line, including
the newer FZ35, prominently notes the noise issue.
From: John Navas on
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:33:59 +0100, in
<i0hjto$98f$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>"John Navas" <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>[]
>> For you. I have no such issues. Again: I say my compact digital works
>> better for me than any dSLR i've tried. You say your dSLR works better
>> for you than any compact digital you've tried. Both are equally valid
>> statements. Neither is any sort of universal truth.

>Again: I have not "tried" compacts, I have used them in both the bridge
>(ZLR) and compact formats. Several models from the Panasonic range. Not
>"tried" as looked at in a shop once, but "used" as in being the main
>camera for several years.

You have not used my model camera. You're making assumptions from other
earlier cameras. Will you admit that?

>Again: I still use both DSLR and compacts, according to my needs at the
>time. I have not chosen one over the other.
>
>I accept that both have different advantages, do you?

Of course. And I accept that different people will see different
advantages based on their own capabilities and needs, do you?