From: Peter on
"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
> On 08/06/10 11:28 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Tele works just fine on my Nikon camera and lenses. In situations where
>> phase-detect hunts before lock, contrast-detect will likely fail
>> completely.
>
> In the cases where contrast-detect fails completely there is too little
> light to take the picture anyway. The flash is too weak and the pixels too
> small on P&S camera with a tiny sensor. Also there probably is no optical
> viewfinder to frame the photo in the low light. The failure of contrast
> detection in those circumstances is doing the user a favor.
>
> Now if it's a ZLR or something like the G11 with an external flash, where
> you probably could take the picture if you could focus, you could always
> try manual focus.
>
> The bottom line is to not try to use contrast-detect AF in very low light.
> Even if you can focus, the results will still suck.

Uhm! Smoke and fog often cause contrast AF to fail, but there is plenty of
light for shooting.

--
Peter

From: Alfred Molon on
In article <4c0eaa88$0$1652$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS says...
> In the cases where contrast-detect fails completely there is too little
> light to take the picture anyway. The flash is too weak and the pixels
> too small on P&S camera with a tiny sensor.

Do you know that tripods exist and that long exposures are possible also
for compact cameras?
--

Alfred Molon
LOL! wrote:
> "spurt"

What species of moth you think we got here?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/4686441922/sizes/l/
From: Vance on
On Jun 9, 2:08 pm, Paul Furman <pa...@-edgehill.net> wrote:
> LOL! wrote:
> > "spurt"
>
> What species of moth you think we got here?http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/4686441922/sizes/l/

Nice job, Paul. I like the translucency you captured and the blue is
a very good compliment to the warm tones of the moth.

Vance
From: LOL! on
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:49:29 -0700 (PDT), Vance <vance.lear(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jun 9, 2:08�pm, Paul Furman <pa...@-edgehill.net> wrote:
>> LOL! wrote:
>> > "spurt"
>>
>> What species of moth you think we got here?http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/4686441922/sizes/l/
>
>Nice job, Paul. I like the translucency you captured and the blue is
>a very good compliment to the warm tones of the moth.
>
>Vance

Yes, someone with your even lamer skills WOULD think that.

LOL!