From: Buffalo on

David Kaye wrote:
> Based on the info here I installed WinPatrol yesterday. I didn't
> think anything of it. I shut down the computer and turned it on
> later in the day. I couldn't figure out why some of the icons on the
> desktop were shimmering. It seems they were being highlighted over
> and over in succession. I looked at the task manager. I noticed
> that various programs were being highlighted over and over again, too.
>
> I immediately killed WinPatrol and the problem went away.
>
> Looks to me like WinPatrol is not ready for prime time.

I just installed WinPatrol and when I tried to get online to play
Quake3Arena, the screen started flickering or shimmering.
The reason was that WinPatrol didn't recognize the program and was warning
me. I exited Q3Arena and then the WinPatrol screen was visible. I gave
Q3Arena permission and then everything was fine.
Perhaps WinPatrol was trying to warn you about something. Most likely a
trusted program you were using and all it needed was permission to accept
it.
Since you are software knowledgeable, I think you should be able to figure
out the problem.
Buffalo

From: Cronos on
Buffalo wrote:

> I just installed WinPatrol and when I tried to get online to play
> Quake3Arena, the screen started flickering or shimmering.
> The reason was that WinPatrol didn't recognize the program and was warning
> me. I exited Q3Arena and then the WinPatrol screen was visible. I gave
> Q3Arena permission and then everything was fine.
> Perhaps WinPatrol was trying to warn you about something. Most likely a
> trusted program you were using and all it needed was permission to accept
> it.
> Since you are software knowledgeable, I think you should be able to figure
> out the problem.
> Buffalo

So, Winpatrol is just more nag-ware that I don't need or want.
From: Buffalo on

Cronos wrote:
> Buffalo wrote:
>
>> I just installed WinPatrol and when I tried to get online to play
>> Quake3Arena, the screen started flickering or shimmering.
>> The reason was that WinPatrol didn't recognize the program and was
>> warning me. I exited Q3Arena and then the WinPatrol screen was
>> visible. I gave Q3Arena permission and then everything was fine.
>> Perhaps WinPatrol was trying to warn you about something. Most
>> likely a trusted program you were using and all it needed was
>> permission to accept it.
>> Since you are software knowledgeable, I think you should be able to
>> figure out the problem.
>> Buffalo
>>

> So, Winpatrol is just more nag-ware that I don't need or want.

If it becomes a pain, I will get rid of it.
I will give it a fair chance.
Buffalo

From: David Kaye on
FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:

>There is nothing wrong with WinPatrol.
>You are the very first person I ever saw complaining about WinPatrol.

Once again, I got the problems when I ran WinPatrol (twice) and the problems
stopped when I turned it off (twice). It's not the fault of my system; it's
the fault of poor programming practices by the author(s) of WinPatrol.

From: David Kaye on
"Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid> wrote:

>Perhaps WinPatrol was trying to warn you about something. Most likely a
>trusted program you were using and all it needed was permission to accept
>it.

First, there was no warning, just the flickering which appeared to be due to
the repeated selection of programs/processes. On the desktop, the icons that
flickered referred to QuickBooks, Avast, VisData (an Access database
writer/reader put out by Microsoft), Google Earth, and the Recycle Bin.

When I opened the Task Manager, WinPatrol kept highlighting (selecting)
various processes in rapid succession. I don't recall what processes they
were, but I'm running a very lean machine with only 34 processes, either
Windows, Google, or iTunes-related processes.

WinPatrol did not inform me about anything.