From: Buffalo on

David Kaye wrote:
> "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps WinPatrol was trying to warn you about something. Most
>> likely a trusted program you were using and all it needed was
>> permission to accept it.
>
> First, there was no warning, just the flickering which appeared to be
> due to the repeated selection of programs/processes. On the desktop,
> the icons that flickered referred to QuickBooks, Avast, VisData (an
> Access database writer/reader put out by Microsoft), Google Earth,
> and the Recycle Bin.
>
> When I opened the Task Manager, WinPatrol kept highlighting
> (selecting) various processes in rapid succession. I don't recall
> what processes they were, but I'm running a very lean machine with
> only 34 processes, either Windows, Google, or iTunes-related
> processes.
>
> WinPatrol did not inform me about anything.

Thanks for the update.
It does seem that WinPatrol is conflicting with another program on your
computer. I run Win2000Pro SP4 and so far, so good.
I use SpywareBlaster, Script Sentry,Free Avira, Free MBAM and the paid
version of SuperAntiSpyware (running in realtime) for protection, besides
WinPatrolPlus, and so far, so good,
Buffalo
Buffalo
Buffalo

From: David Kaye on
FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:

>You start using WinPatrol on your PC and you have a "problem".
>Of course your PC is in much better condition than millions of other
>people's PC, so it "must" be the fault of WinPatrol.

Considering that I have been removing malware from computers fulltime for 8
years and have been running Windows since it first came out, and spent 12
years fulltime as a software developer writing medical and banking software, I
think I know my way around PCs fairly well. Among the software I've worked on
was Charles Schwab's Street Smart stock trading software and Teleresults'
TeleResults, software for kidney, liver, lung, and heart transplants. I was
chief software architect at Teleresults.

>And how did you "know" is must be poor programming?
>Did you read the source?

I'm a software developer. So, I probably have a deeper programming background
than most of the people here.

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
David Kaye wrote:

> I'm a software developer. So, I probably have a deeper programming
> background than most of the people here.

...yet you believe that a Linux/Apache web host allowing a web site to
serve a Windows-infecting PDF file is a Linux problem. [other recent
thread] :-)

--
-bts
-retired programmer, Procter & Gamble and other national companies
From: Buffalo on

David Kaye wrote:
> FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:
>
>> You start using WinPatrol on your PC and you have a "problem".
>> Of course your PC is in much better condition than millions of other
>> people's PC, so it "must" be the fault of WinPatrol.
>
> Considering that I have been removing malware from computers fulltime
> for 8 years and have been running Windows since it first came out,
> and spent 12 years fulltime as a software developer writing medical
> and banking software, I think I know my way around PCs fairly well.
> Among the software I've worked on was Charles Schwab's Street Smart
> stock trading software and Teleresults' TeleResults, software for
> kidney, liver, lung, and heart transplants. I was chief software
> architect at Teleresults.
>
>> And how did you "know" is must be poor programming?
>> Did you read the source?
>
> I'm a software developer. So, I probably have a deeper programming
> background than most of the people here.

So any ideas why Winpatrol is acting up on your computer and not many others
(AFAIK)?
I'm sure you have a lot better idea than I ever will and I would appreciate
any input you have besides 'poor programing'.
What is your OS and what program are you running that WinPatrol seems to be
conflicting with?
Thanks,
Always willing to learn more.
Buffalo

From: Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries on
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> David Kaye wrote:
>
>> I'm a software developer. So, I probably have a deeper
>> programming background than most of the people here.
>
> ..yet you believe that a Linux/Apache web host allowing a web
> site to serve a Windows-infecting PDF file is a Linux problem.
> [other recent thread] :-)

I'm just positively gleeful that I still have the ability to start a pissing
contest with a single, innocuous post. ;)

Seriously, if I'd known this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bothered.
Egad.

(And I still don't know whether WinPatrol is of any use or not.)

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to
be taken seriously. Hubert H. Humphrey