From: Cronos on
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Sure. But the web server is still Apache.

But I wasn't talking about a web server. I was talking about the X GUI.
From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Cronos wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Sure. But the web server is still Apache.
>
> But I wasn't talking about a web server. I was talking about the X GUI.

But you responded to a post where I was talking about a web server. (as
was David)

--
-bts
From: Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries on
Cronos wrote:
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> Sure. But the web server is still Apache.
>>
> But I wasn't talking about a web server. I was talking about the
> X GUI.

Egad.

My head hurts.

Anyway, you drifted. The discussion was about a web server, not about the X
GUI:

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to
be taken seriously. Hubert H. Humphrey

From: Cronos on
thang ornithorhynchus wrote:

> AV, anti spyware, whatever. The web is full of derogatory commentary
> on this product, and its a fact that if one doesn't run Firefox as is,
> that is, if one uses torbutton with privoxy, noscript, etc etc, then
> it trumps IE. Most people using IE are noobs and/or don't care less,
> and if security is run at default its mighty unsafe. Now I haven't
> read Schneier on this comparison, assuming he has evaluated both, but
> I betcha he comes up with the same conclusion.

I've read test reports and out of the box IE is more secure than FF.
There's a reason you get so many updates to FF, because it has more
holes. IE is recommended for noobs for that reason. The most secure is
Opera so if security was your sole criteria then that is the browser I
recommend to noobs.
From: David Kaye on
thang ornithorhynchus <thang(a)spitzola.com.org.net> wrote:

>Its one of the most important criteria for me, but I'll stick with IE
>8 thanks its fancier than the opposition and there are other things I
>do for security. About the only thing I can say for Firefox is that
>its really easy to use Tor/Privoxy (its butt ugly).

One curious side-effect of IE is that it won't work when a proxy server is set
up, whereas Firefox, Opera, and others will. Spyware usually sets up a proxy
server, but many of the anti-malware tools do not turn it off, and it's not
something a malware hunter looks for unless there are connectivity issues.
Thus, if IE runs well, I can pretty much bet that all is right with the world.