From: Cronos on
Buffalo wrote:

> Thanks for the heads-up.
> I have never used it but I am going to research it.
> Buffalo

You don't need it if you have MS Defender already.
From: Buffalo on

Cronos wrote:
> Buffalo wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the heads-up.
>> I have never used it but I am going to research it.
>> Buffalo
>>

> You don't need it if you have MS Defender already.

I don't have MS Defender. I use Win2000ProSP4, Free Avira and the full
version of SAS.
Thanks,
Buffalo

From: Ron on
On Jan 29, 6:06 am, Cronos <cro...(a)sphere.invalid> wrote:
> Buffalo wrote:
> > Thanks for the heads-up.
> > I have never used it but I am going to research it.
> > Buffalo
>
> You don't need it if you have MS Defender already.

Windows Defender SUCKS. When I got hit really hard one time by several
rouge antivirus / anti spyware programs it was totally worthless. It
said that my computer was running normally after a scan.
From: David Kaye on
Based on the info here I installed WinPatrol yesterday. I didn't think
anything of it. I shut down the computer and turned it on later in the day.
I couldn't figure out why some of the icons on the desktop were shimmering.
It seems they were being highlighted over and over in succession. I looked at
the task manager. I noticed that various programs were being highlighted over
and over again, too.

I immediately killed WinPatrol and the problem went away.

Looks to me like WinPatrol is not ready for prime time.

From: David Kaye on
FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:

>I use and have used WinPatrol for many years.
>I never had such problems as you describe.
>There is nothing wrong with WinPatrol.

Sure there is. I have an XP Pro in pristine condition. It is my main
machine. There are no special drivers or add-ons. WinPatrol did exactly the
situation I described, and when I shut it down the activation (flickering) of
icons went away. I restarted the computer and the flickering came back. I
shut down WinPatrol once again and the problem went away. I uninstalled
WinPatrol and everything is fine.

I have spent over 10 years writing software. One thing I learned is that only
20% of a developer's time needs to be spent writing code. 80% of the time is
debugging the code to make sure it works on various kinds of machines.

Clearly, there is something wrong with WinPatrol's implementation on XP Pro
SP3. So, I'm not going to recommend it to my customers for now.