From: titus12 on
I am building a new Computer and I plan to do a clean install of Windows 7
onto it. Can I buy the upgrade copy of Windows7 or do I have to buy the
full copy? I have the retail Windows XP CD.

Thank you,

From: orc on
From previous post there doesn't seem to be a direct upgrade from XP to 7
without going to vista first so I think you'll have to do an install of 7
from a new full retail version.

From: Touch Base on

"titus12" <titus12(a)msn.com> wrote in message
I am building a new Computer and I plan to do a clean install of Windows 7
onto it. Can I buy the upgrade copy of Windows7 or do I have to buy the
full copy? I have the retail Windows XP CD.

Thank you,

Fully install Windows 7 from the upgrade disc

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/091112

--
Regards,
Touch Base

From: Daave on
titus12 wrote:
> I am building a new Computer and I plan to do a clean install of
> Windows 7 onto it. Can I buy the upgrade copy of Windows7 or do I
> have to buy the full copy? I have the retail Windows XP CD.

Since you already have a qualifying OS (the Retail version of Windows
XP), you may certainly use an Upgrade rather than a Full version CD of
Windows 7.

Furthermore, even though the usual method of installing Windows 7 (using
the Upgrade CD) involves already having XP *installed* on your PC
(ridiculous, IMO), it is certainly possible to use your Windows 7
Upgrade CD to perform a Clean Install onto a bare hard drive:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

(And since you have the qualifying Retail version of the Windows XP
installation CD, you need not lose any sleep over ripping off Microsoft.
:-) )

From: peter on
wrong..
you can upgrade XP to W7 its just a clean install.
no need to install XP..then Vista...Then W7

pk

or disruptive,please ignore it.