From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:00:42 -0800 (PST), Jaibaba Bholanath
<jaibaba.bholanath(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I am wanting to know if I should stay with my XP or change to 7. Can
> anyone kindly provide me with cost-benefit analysis and suggest what I
> should do?

My view is that you're going about this backward. A change of
operating system should be driven by need, not just because there is a
new version available. Are you having a problem with Windows XP that
you expect Windows 7 to solve? Do you have or expect to get new
hardware or software that is supported in Windows 7, but not in XP? Is
there some new feature in Windows 7 that you need or yearn for? Does
your job require you have skills in Windows 7? Are you a computer
hobbyist who enjoys playing with whatever is newest?

If the answer to one or more of those questions is yes (and your
hardware is adequate for Windows 7), then you should get Windows 7.
Otherwise most people should stick with what they have. There is
*always* a learning curve and a potential for problems when you take a
step as big as this one, regardless of how wonderful whatever you're
contemplating moving to is. Sooner or later you'll have to upgrade (to
Windows 7 or its successor) because you'll want support for hardware
or software that you can't get in XP, but don't rush it.

I say all the above despite the fact that I'm a big Windows 7 fan. I
think it's the best and most stable of all versions of Windows.

> All my other programs that were working with XP will work
> with 7 Ultimate?

That depends on what programs you are running in XP. Most programs
will work in Windows 7, but not all.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Jim on
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:49:18 -0800, "Don Schmidt" <Don
Engineer(a)PNB.Retired_1987> wrote:

>No on the "unblock".
>
>Just ran the install and now the Add/Remove Software won't allow the
>uninstall.

Suggestion - "unblock" , reinstall over the top , then try uninstall .
From: Twayne on
In news:9df9c37d-4bfb-4515-a4a9-30ad5883520b(a)o9g2000prg.googlegroups.com,
Jaibaba Bholanath <jaibaba.bholanath(a)gmail.com> typed:
> I am wanting to know if I should stay with my XP or change to 7.

That's mostly a personal opinion. BTW, win7 is a reworked Vista in reality,
changed a tad to try to make it more palatable to more people.
It's up to you to decide whether 7 has any features or functions that you
need and don't have now, IMO. If it doesn't provide anything you don't have
now, why upgrade? XP will continue to be viable for some years to come.
You'll need a LOT more RAM than XP (like 4 to 6 Gig) and likely more disk
space unless you already have plenty. So if you're wondering about 7 on your
current hardware, be certain you check your hardware compatability for win7.
Win 7 wants a FAST processor.

I'd suggest you research on Google for win7 requirements and installation
articles before you invest in it. Personally I've seen nothing in 7 that
turns me on compared to XP.
XP is also pretty stable and reliable at this point in time. It's pretty
much a given that 7 is going to be riddled with holes & problems so from
that view it's like staring all over again with constant updates and fixes,
as happened with ever single other release of windows. Even if I wanted 7,
I wouldn't touch it until the SP1 or equivalent has been released and I can
see what sort of problems it may have. I know Vista had a lot of problems;
I'd hope most were fixed in 7, but ... I've never seen it said anywhere.

My opinion anyway,

Twayne`

Can
> anyone kindly provide me with cost-benefit analysis and suggest what I

Only you could do that; no one else will have the needed data.

> should do? All my other programs that were working with XP will work
> with 7 Ultimate?

NO. Although the majority will, others will not. e.g. I just installed
PaintShop Pro not too long ago and the web site hype indicates that it is
not win7 compatible and will not run on win7. You'd have to check out each
program you use on a case by case basis to be sure, IMO.

Thanks in advance from me Jaibaba ...

Live in the moment;
be open to the possibilities
that life has to offer.

From: "Don Schmidt" Don on
Jim,

'Don't know how to unblock. The only place I can find the Windows 7 Upgrade
Advisor is in the Add/Remove list.
'Made a few attempts to reinstall over the existing listing comes up with a
failure.

A few months ago, when I ran the 7 Advisor it listed several non
compatibilities with software and firmware.

My computer has an ASUS 5B Premium MB, 10K RPM hard drives in a Raid 1
configuration, a HP 8200 Scanner, Radeon X1900 Graphics card, HP 8000
printer and Windows XP SP3.

I remember the Advisor didn't like the Radeon card and I think the scanner;
plus some of my software.

W7 probably wouldn't like Parsons Address Book, a '95/'98 program. 'Need
this one for 'haven't found anything that comes close to being as good,
including Outlook 7, which I also have running in order to keep my Imagio
cell phone contacts up to date.

I've come to live with the Add/Remove W7 Advisor listing; until some day
when all needs to be reinstalled.

Thanks for chatting.

--
Don - Windows XP Pro� SP 3
Vancouver, USA

From: Jim on

Don , did you d/l and then run , or did you run and install from the
website ?

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 14:59:08 -0800, "Don Schmidt" <Don
Engineer(a)PNB.Retired_1987> wrote:

>Jim,
>
>'Don't know how to unblock. The only place I can find the Windows 7 Upgrade
>Advisor is in the Add/Remove list.
>'Made a few attempts to reinstall over the existing listing comes up with a
>failure.
>
>A few months ago, when I ran the 7 Advisor it listed several non
>compatibilities with software and firmware.
>
>My computer has an ASUS 5B Premium MB, 10K RPM hard drives in a Raid 1
>configuration, a HP 8200 Scanner, Radeon X1900 Graphics card, HP 8000
>printer and Windows XP SP3.
>
>I remember the Advisor didn't like the Radeon card and I think the scanner;
>plus some of my software.
>
>W7 probably wouldn't like Parsons Address Book, a '95/'98 program. 'Need
>this one for 'haven't found anything that comes close to being as good,
>including Outlook 7, which I also have running in order to keep my Imagio
>cell phone contacts up to date.
>
>I've come to live with the Add/Remove W7 Advisor listing; until some day
>when all needs to be reinstalled.
>
>Thanks for chatting.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5