From: Daave on
I would imagine most MVPs can figure out how to make XP just as secure
as Windows 7.

From: Richard Urban on
Yea! But for people who want to use the computer as if it were a T.V.
remote, Windows 7 is better - though not perfect. Going to a certain channel
is not going to infect the remote, or the T.V..

I have a brother a thousand miles away that is likely sending YOU spam -
because his computer is so infected. And guess what? He doesn't care as long
as he can still get on the internet. I suspect that 90% of computer users
can identify with my brother.

I still boot up occasionally in WinXP - just to do video editing. My
favorite editing program is useless under Windows XP Mode. When I do I am
off-line completely, cat-5 cable unplugged!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

From: Twayne on
In news:eaSBvmOhKHA.2780(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
Unknown <unknown(a)unknown.kom> typed:
> Download a file. Then right click on it. Select properties, Lower
> right hand corner of general tab is 'unblock'.

Nope; it's not there. I download a lot of files, actually. The only time
I've seen that is with .chm files. But I got the feeling that wasn't what
the OP was talking about; then again ... .

Twayne

We've already reached
tomorrow's yesterday
but we're still far away from
yesterday's tomorrow.

From: Twayne on
Undoubtedly; IMO it's already as secure as 7 and pretty stable now too, just
like 98 was when they finally squeezed it out to make people buy another new
OS.
I see the first bug for win7 has been distributed already. That didn't
take long. Wonder when SP1 will come out? It's gotta be like starting all
over again - updates, fixes, repairs, bugs waiting to be found, etc..

In news:%23e2fGdRhKHA.1236(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Daave <daave(a)example.com> typed:

From: Twayne on
In news:uq3cDQVhKHA.2780(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
Richard Urban <richardurbanREMOVETHIS(a)hotmail.com> typed:
> Yea! But for people who want to use the computer as if it were a T.V.
> remote, Windows 7 is better - though not perfect. Going to a certain
> channel is not going to infect the remote, or the T.V..
>
> I have a brother a thousand miles away that is likely sending YOU
> spam - because his computer is so infected. And guess what? He
> doesn't care as long as he can still get on the internet. I suspect
> that 90% of computer users can identify with my brother.

Probably, and they'll continue to too, when the ISP catches on and kills his
accounts. It'll happen sooner or later, whenever they have gotten rid of
the ones worse than him. If he's that lax about security, it's a wonder his
machine even still runs.

> I still boot up occasionally in WinXP - just to do video editing. My
> favorite editing program is useless under Windows XP Mode. When I do
> I am off-line completely, cat-5 cable unplugged!

I put a power center under my monitor and whenever I'm not sitting in front
of it I kill the router/modem by hitting the switch for it. It only takes
seconds for it to resync, so no problem.
I'd be worried about plugging/unplugging the RJ line too often; the gold
coatings on those pins will only stand for a low number of
insertions/removals. I'd put it on a power bar if it were me.

Regards,

Twayne

> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> I would imagine most MVPs can figure out how to make XP just as
>> secure as Windows 7.
>>
>> Richard Urban wrote:
>>> How about much better security as compared to Windows XP?
>>>
>>> That is reason enough for me!
>>>

>>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

We've already reached
tomorrow's yesterday
but we're still far away from
yesterday's tomorrow.