From: Jaibaba Bholanath on
I am wanting to know if I should stay with my XP or change to 7. Can
anyone kindly provide me with cost-benefit analysis and suggest what I
should do? All my other programs that were working with XP will work
with 7 Ultimate? Thanks in advance from me Jaibaba ...
From: Daave on
Jaibaba Bholanath wrote:
> I am wanting to know if I should stay with my XP or change to 7. Can
> anyone kindly provide me with cost-benefit analysis and suggest what I
> should do? All my other programs that were working with XP will work
> with 7 Ultimate? Thanks in advance from me Jaibaba ...

What are the specs of your current PC? If the specs aren't that
impressive, then the cost will be greater than the benefit.

From: Shenan Stanley on
Jaibaba Bholanath wrote:
> I am wanting to know if I should stay with my XP or change to 7. Can
> anyone kindly provide me with cost-benefit analysis and suggest
> what I should do? All my other programs that were working with XP
> will work with 7 Ultimate? Thanks in advance from me Jaibaba ...

No one can direct you with any certainty with what you have given.

I can say this...

If I had a machine with 2+GB memory, dual(or more) core 2+Ghz processor and
100+GB hard disk drive and 256+MB video card (not shared memory) - I would
likely upgrade it if it was running any Windows OS less than Windows 7.

However I already know (have checked with software vendor sites for those
who made my software and/or tried it on other Windows 7 machines; have
verified driver compatibility for Windows 7 from hardware vendors, etc) it
will work when I do so.

So - my advice to you, answer these questions, act on your own answers:

1) Does your system meet the sparse hardware specs I gave? Exceed them?
2) Have you checked with the software vendors of the software you have
installed (version included) via their web pages/FAQs/calling them to see if
it will run on Windows 7?
3) Have you checked with the hardware manufacturers of the hardware in your
machine/attached to your machine/occassionally connected to your machine to
verify they have drivers for/support their hardware under Windows 7?
4) Do you have current backups of all your important data (documents,
spreadsheets, images, music, contacts, emails, databases, serial numbers,
installation media, product keys, bookmarks/internet favorites, etc)?
5) Do you have copies of all the installation media (operating system,
office suites, media editing applications, other software you have
downloaded, installed, etc and use) for all of your software and the serial
numbers/product keys for said software stored separately (away from) the
computer in case of catastrophic failure?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: JD on
Jaibaba Bholanath wrote:
> I am wanting to know if I should stay with my XP or change to 7. Can
> anyone kindly provide me with cost-benefit analysis and suggest what I
> should do? All my other programs that were working with XP will work
> with 7 Ultimate? Thanks in advance from me Jaibaba ...

Out here in west Texas, they say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Why do you think you need to change to 7?

--
JD..
From: axmukher on
On Dec 21, 11:02 pm, "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Jaibaba Bholanath wrote:
> > I am wanting to know if I should stay with my XP or change to 7. Can
> > anyone kindly provide me with cost-benefit analysis and suggest
> > what I should do? All my other programs that were working with XP
> > will work with 7 Ultimate? Thanks in advance from me Jaibaba ...
>
> No one can direct you with any certainty with what you have given.
>
> I can say this...
>
> If I had a machine with 2+GB memory, dual(or more) core 2+Ghz processor and
> 100+GB hard disk drive and 256+MB video card (not shared memory) - I would
> likely upgrade it if it was running any Windows OS less than Windows 7.
>
> However I already know (have checked with software vendor sites for those
> who made my software and/or tried it on other Windows 7 machines; have
> verified driver compatibility for Windows 7 from hardware vendors, etc) it
> will work when I do so.
>
> So - my advice to you, answer these questions, act on your own answers:
>
> 1) Does your system meet the sparse hardware specs I gave?  Exceed them?
> 2) Have you checked with the software vendors of the software you have
> installed (version included) via their web pages/FAQs/calling them to see if
> it will run on Windows 7?
> 3) Have you checked with the hardware manufacturers of the hardware in your
> machine/attached to your machine/occassionally connected to your machine to
> verify they have drivers for/support their hardware under Windows 7?
> 4) Do you have current backups of all your important data (documents,
> spreadsheets, images, music, contacts, emails, databases, serial numbers,
> installation media, product keys, bookmarks/internet favorites, etc)?
> 5) Do you have copies of all the installation media (operating system,
> office suites, media editing applications, other software you have
> downloaded, installed, etc and use) for all of your software and the serial
> numbers/product keys for said software stored separately (away from) the
> computer in case of catastrophic failure?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>      MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Thanks, for your detailed replies. Really appreciated.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Need MS Activation Phone Number
Next: defragmentation