From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> I thought the 4CX1000K was "neat" to say the least. It even looked
>> cool.
>> If I remember correctly it was a 1KW ceramic tetrode transmitter tube
>> with copper fins for
>> forced air cooling for up to 120MHz (?).

| I worked for a time at the Naval Radio Transmitting Facility in Dixon
| Ca. - next door was the Voice Of America transmitter site. My roommate
| (the one I helped with his Altair) and I went for a tour there. This was
| using some very old (eyecatching) mercury rectifier tubes to supply a
| walk-in FPA stage. 250 kilowatts into a 17db gain curtain antenna.

| I'm sure that you would have enjoyed such a trip. :o)

DEFINITELY. :-)

Would have loved to see that.

Its a good thing you didn't play with the Siemens laser transmitter tube. Probably would
have burned down the house :-)

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message

>> Do you remember the "Magic Eye" tubes used in AV hardware to show
>> signal
>> levels (like recording levels)?

| Both the eye wedge style (on tuners for signal strength) and the linear
| (mostly on magnetic tape recorders for audio level).

| Okay, I've seen some awesome indicator tubes - some of my first computer
| experiences involved "Nixie tubes", and I worked for years replacing
| display tubes on high-end tuners (Sansui). Displays have come a long
| way. I guess you notice that sort of thing more when you start out
| interacting with a computer via an IBM teletype.

:-)

--
Dave

From: Gufus on
From: David H. Lipman---? To: gufus
Subj: Re: bad virusSun, 21 Mar 2010 19:05:42 -0400

Hello, David!

You wrote on Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:05:42 -0400:

DHL> :-)

Check your mailbox eh.

Gufus

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:info(a)gypsy-designs.com
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

From: Xray on
Xray <pl(a)yer.com> wrote in news:ho1dpi0296p(a)news3.newsguy.com:

> So any advice to get rid of this thing ?
> Edit - Did it again, all of those problems above, spybot is unable to
> get rid of.
> Oh, and tried system restore, virus has got that covered too.
> Only 1 restore point, and thats today - Got this virus about 3am this
> morning.
>
> Edit - Booted into safe mode sucessfully, spybot found the infections
> again, and deleted all but 1, which was apparently running.
> 1 is in a folder c/windows/system32/lowsec
> I could see the actul files in safe mode, tried to manually delete them
> but I couldn't.
> In normal mode they aren't visible.

Update - Had to wipe the drive clean and reinsall OS.
Virus - 1
Me - 0
From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Xray wrote:

> Update - Had to wipe the drive clean and reinsall OS.

Did you pick one that isn't susceptible to such problems?

> Virus - 1
> Me - 0

<g>

--