From: David W. Hodgins on
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:18:30 -0400, David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@verizon.net> wrote:

> From: "Xray" <pl(a)yer.com>

> | Yeah, I have a top of the line cd polished, motor driven.
> | No joy, if it had worked this never would have happened.

> Does it ever work ?

Yes, although it can take several days of polishing, when
done by hand.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:18:30 -0400, David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@verizon.net>
| wrote:

>> From: "Xray" <pl(a)yer.com>

>> | Yeah, I have a top of the line cd polished, motor driven.
>> | No joy, if it had worked this never would have happened.

>> Does it ever work ?

| Yes, although it can take several days of polishing, when
| done by hand.

The most I have ever done is warm water and dish detergent.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Xray" <pl(a)yer.com>

| You seem to have contradicted yourself.
| You said you'd start by turning off email, and if its still spewing mass
| mailing worms 24 hrs later, the connection is terminated.

| How is it going to be spewing mass mailing worms if the ability to send
| email is terminated ?
| How is anyone else in danger of being infected, since this machine can't
| email ?

If it has its own email engine and connects to a third party SMTP server.

--
Dave

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Xray wrote:

> Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Several years ago when I worked for an ISP, I'd start by turning your
>> email off, and then I'd give you 24 hours. If your machine was still
>> spewing trojans and mass mailing worms; your connection was
>> terminated until you cleaned up your mess or took your business to a
>> less responsible ISP.
>
> You seem to have contradicted yourself.

Not at all.

> You said you'd start by turning off email, and if its still spewing
> mass mailing worms 24 hrs later, the connection is terminated.

If 'twas me, I'd not even wait the 24 hours, 'cause ya know it's not
going to stop until something drastic is done.

> How is it going to be spewing mass mailing worms if the ability to
> send email is terminated ? How is anyone else in danger of being
> infected, since this machine can't email ?

You're showing your lack of knowledge on how these things work. Mass
mailers have their own SMTP engine and do not use your email client. And
it doesn't even need email (that's what the spammers do though). Your
trojan could also be pinging sequential IP addresses, looking for PCs
without firewalls.

--
-bts
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca>

| From: gufus
| Subj: Re: bad virusSun, 21 Mar 2010 14:45:27 -0600

| From: David H. Lipman---? To: Xray
| Subj: Re: bad virusSat, 20 Mar 2010 22:25:56 -0400

| Hello, David!

| You wrote on Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:25:56 -0400:

??||> Looks like I'm looking at a fresh OS reinstall about now, this thing
??||> is insidious and is always one step ahead.

DHL>> ** At this point, my advice is now to WIPE and RE-INSTALL the OS.

| Can you suggest a /good/ wipe app?

If you are jsut re-installing the OS from scratch, the OIS distribution disk will allowyou
to remove any/all partitions and recreate the partitions and perform a FULL Format (rather
than a quick format).

The followg is comprehensive. ESPECIALLY if you want to dispose of a hard disk and you
are worried about the data on it.

If you have Norton or Symantec Ghost, the GDisk & GDisk32 utilities
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2002112213111525?Open

{ DoD NISPOM compliant }

--
Dave