From: Buffalo on

Xray wrote:
[snip]
> Well, the virus hosed Avast, seemed like an option worth trying,
> since the alternative is basically to reinstall the OS.
> Kaspersky detected the problem, was unable for whatever reason to do
> anything about it, so I moved on.
> At this point, since I've nothing left to lose, I'm going to unistall
> Avast [again] and try AVG.

Have you tried running MalwareBytes as Lipman suggested. (renaming,etc)?
Have you tried installing and running SuperAntiSpyware (free version)? You
may have to rename the superantispyware.exe to something like xray.exe or
xray.com.
Buffalo

From: Xray on
"Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid> wrote in news:ho43ou$b9d$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

> Xray wrote:
> [snip]
>> Well, the virus hosed Avast, seemed like an option worth trying,
>> since the alternative is basically to reinstall the OS.
>> Kaspersky detected the problem, was unable for whatever reason to do
>> anything about it, so I moved on.
>> At this point, since I've nothing left to lose, I'm going to unistall
>> Avast [again] and try AVG.
>
> Have you tried running MalwareBytes as Lipman suggested. (renaming,etc)?
> Have you tried installing and running SuperAntiSpyware (free version)?
You
> may have to rename the superantispyware.exe to something like xray.exe or
> xray.com.
> Buffalo

malwarebytes refuses to run, I even tried running it from an entirely
different drive - If I try to name it something.com, it won't run unless
its an exe extension.
I can change it to donaldduck.exe or whatever, doesn't seem to do any good.
This infection seems geared to stop most programs, either by corrupting the
install or not letting them run.

Super did run, found and cleaned a few infections, ran it again and it came
back with nothing.
Rebooted, ran it once more, and still nothing.
Ran spybot and it found a bunch of infections that super didn't find - Then
when I installed Kaspersky, it uninstalled super, so its no longer on my
system.

I'm trying "clamwin" antivirus now, it installed and runs with the dormant
avast still installed. Don't have high hopes for it, its been running over
an hour and so far has detected a few tracking cookies and thats it.
I think I'm screwed, I'm basically in experimental mode right now.

Computer functions Ok, but god knows whats going on behind the scenes.
My ISP already stopped my ability to send email, it detected the virus like
behavior. Can still receive at least.
Can't connect to google, it also detected the shenanigans of the virus.
Pressing ctrl/alt/delete doesn't bring up the process box anymore, other
than that things seem normal.

From: Lil' Abner on
Xray <pl(a)yer.com> wrote in news:ho48u611ar6(a)news3.newsguy.com:

> "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid> wrote in
> news:ho43ou$b9d$1(a)news.eternal- september.org:
>

>> Xray wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Well, the virus hosed Avast, seemed like an option worth trying,
>>> since the alternative is basically to reinstall the OS.
>>> Kaspersky detected the problem, was unable for whatever reason to do
>>> anything about it, so I moved on.
>>> At this point, since I've nothing left to lose, I'm going to
>>> unistall Avast [again] and try AVG.
>>
>> Have you tried running MalwareBytes as Lipman suggested.
>> (renaming,etc)? Have you tried installing and running
>> SuperAntiSpyware (free version)?
> You
>> may have to rename the superantispyware.exe to something like
>> xray.exe or xray.com.
>> Buffalo
>
> malwarebytes refuses to run, I even tried running it from an entirely
> different drive - If I try to name it something.com, it won't run
> unless its an exe extension.
> I can change it to donaldduck.exe or whatever, doesn't seem to do any
> good. This infection seems geared to stop most programs, either by
> corrupting the install or not letting them run.
>
> Super did run, found and cleaned a few infections, ran it again and it
> came back with nothing.
> Rebooted, ran it once more, and still nothing.
> Ran spybot and it found a bunch of infections that super didn't find -
> Then when I installed Kaspersky, it uninstalled super, so its no
> longer on my system.
>
> I'm trying "clamwin" antivirus now, it installed and runs with the
> dormant avast still installed. Don't have high hopes for it, its been
> running over an hour and so far has detected a few tracking cookies
> and thats it. I think I'm screwed, I'm basically in experimental mode
> right now.
>
> Computer functions Ok, but god knows whats going on behind the scenes.
> My ISP already stopped my ability to send email, it detected the virus
> like behavior. Can still receive at least.
> Can't connect to google, it also detected the shenanigans of the
> virus. Pressing ctrl/alt/delete doesn't bring up the process box
> anymore, other than that things seem normal.

You don't give up easy, do you? :-)
I'm guessing I can clone a drive, wipe it out and reninstall XP, get the
updates, reinstall the software, import all the documents, email,
favorites, etc. back from the drive I cloned to in about 5 hours. Some
would say I'm slow but I'm trying not to exaggerate. There's lots of
variables there, of course. Especially if you don't have the install CD's
for everything.
It sounds like you've spent way more time than that trying to clean it
up. Even if you get all the junk out of it, you will still have a
crippled system.

--
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
From: Xray on
"Lil' Abner" <blvstk(a)dogpatch.com> wrote in

> Xray <pl(a)yer.com> wrote in news:ho48u611ar6(a)news3.newsguy.com:
>
>> "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid> wrote in
>> news:ho43ou$b9d$1(a)news.eternal- september.org:
>>

>>> Xray wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Have you tried running MalwareBytes as Lipman suggested.
>>> (renaming,etc)? Have you tried installing and running
>>> SuperAntiSpyware (free version)?
>> You
>>> may have to rename the superantispyware.exe to something like
>>> xray.exe or xray.com.
>>> Buffalo
>>
>> malwarebytes refuses to run, I even tried running it from an entirely
>> different drive - If I try to name it something.com, it won't run
>> unless its an exe extension.
>> I can change it to donaldduck.exe or whatever, doesn't seem to do any
>> good. This infection seems geared to stop most programs, either by
>> corrupting the install or not letting them run.
>>
>> Super did run, found and cleaned a few infections, ran it again and it
>> came back with nothing.
>> Rebooted, ran it once more, and still nothing.
>> Ran spybot and it found a bunch of infections that super didn't find -
>> Then when I installed Kaspersky, it uninstalled super, so its no
>> longer on my system.
>>
>> I'm trying "clamwin" antivirus now, it installed and runs with the
>> dormant avast still installed. Don't have high hopes for it, its been
>> running over an hour and so far has detected a few tracking cookies
>> and thats it. I think I'm screwed, I'm basically in experimental mode
>> right now.
>>
>> Computer functions Ok, but god knows whats going on behind the scenes.
>> My ISP already stopped my ability to send email, it detected the virus
>> like behavior. Can still receive at least.
>> Can't connect to google, it also detected the shenanigans of the
>> virus. Pressing ctrl/alt/delete doesn't bring up the process box
>> anymore, other than that things seem normal.
>
> You don't give up easy, do you? :-)
> I'm guessing I can clone a drive, wipe it out and reninstall XP, get the
> updates, reinstall the software, import all the documents, email,
> favorites, etc. back from the drive I cloned to in about 5 hours. Some
> would say I'm slow but I'm trying not to exaggerate. There's lots of
> variables there, of course. Especially if you don't have the install CD's
> for everything.
> It sounds like you've spent way more time than that trying to clean it
> up. Even if you get all the junk out of it, you will still have a
> crippled system.

Haven't spent much time at all, just downloading programs, clicking buttons
to run them and rebooting now and then.
Sit around, playing my guitar and watching my kids, I'd be doing that
anyhow.
Its a matter of debate how crippled my system is, that may or may not be
the case, and nothing you or I know would allow a definitive statement in
that regards - I'm not trying to "clean it up", per se.
I am trying to get rid of malicious infections, then I can go to the
cleaning stage.

Fresh install, firstly have to download the 100's of security updates &
service packs from microsoft, install video card/sound card/printer/scanner
drivers, all of the dozens or 100's of apps & programs.

IF I had a cloned drive from a month back or so, then yeah piece of cake.
I don't.

From: FromTheRafters on
"Xray" <pl(a)yer.com> wrote in message

> But I must say, ignoring the warning of anti virus software,
> disabling it, then clicking on the exe file, crosses the line
> from risk taking into another realm.
>
> Suffice it to say that I won't do that again.

You can also look at it this way. You have a problem with a program that
you downloaded and executed, contact the person that you got the program
from for help. If you cannot contact that person, you shouldn't have
trusted the file. Continuing to operate in this manner, it is only a
matter of time before you get something that the AV won't even
recognize.

Don't beat yourself up over ignoring the AV's warning - beat yourself up
over even allowing your AV to scan that program.