From: Xray on
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Xray"<pl(a)yer.com>
>

> | You seem to have contradicted yourself.
> | You said you'd start by turning off email, and if its still spewing mass
> | mailing worms 24 hrs later, the connection is terminated.
>
> | How is it going to be spewing mass mailing worms if the ability to send
> | email is terminated ?
> | How is anyone else in danger of being infected, since this machine can't
> | email ?
>
> If it has its own email engine and connects to a third party SMTP server.

Well, all I can say is I use my connection basically to dl apps trying
to get rid of this thing, and post here.
I then pull the plug.
Looks like my NNTP connection was terminated, Xnews no longer works.

Sucks too, I was just about to send in my tax return via turbotax, I
think I should put that off until I get this cleared up
From: Xray on
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Xray wrote:
>
>> Dustin Cook<bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Several years ago when I worked for an ISP, I'd start by turning your
>>> email off, and then I'd give you 24 hours. If your machine was still
>>> spewing trojans and mass mailing worms; your connection was
>>> terminated until you cleaned up your mess or took your business to a
>>> less responsible ISP.
>>
>> You seem to have contradicted yourself.
>
> Not at all.
>
>> You said you'd start by turning off email, and if its still spewing
>> mass mailing worms 24 hrs later, the connection is terminated.
>
> If 'twas me, I'd not even wait the 24 hours, 'cause ya know it's not
> going to stop until something drastic is done.
>
>> How is it going to be spewing mass mailing worms if the ability to
>> send email is terminated ? How is anyone else in danger of being
>> infected, since this machine can't email ?
>
> You're showing your lack of knowledge on how these things work. Mass
> mailers have their own SMTP engine and do not use your email client. And
> it doesn't even need email (that's what the spammers do though). Your
> trojan could also be pinging sequential IP addresses, looking for PCs
> without firewalls.

Well, If I had such great knowledge of how these things work, I guess I
wouldn't be posting here, now would I ?
From: FromTheRafters on
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>>> From: "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>>> <DLipman~nospam~@verizon.net>

>>> The most I have ever done is warm water and dish detergent.
>
> | I have successfully used steel wool.
>

> ROFLOL

I worked on optical media players for years (Laserdisc, CD) and
sometimes a scratch or scratches in the right direction prevents wild
swings in the "tracking" signal from causing skips. Information is
sometimes not lost behind the scratch because of Cross Interleaved
Reed-Solomon code (CIRC) and other error tolerance schemes providing
placement diversity.

Sometimes test discs with natural flaws (like cleaning them with steel
wool) work even better than the ones with the intentionally fabricated
flaws especially when troubleshooting sled or lens (tracking and focus
signal) problems.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

>> | I have successfully used steel wool.

>> ROFLOL

| I worked on optical media players for years (Laserdisc, CD) and
| sometimes a scratch or scratches in the right direction prevents wild
| swings in the "tracking" signal from causing skips. Information is
| sometimes not lost behind the scratch because of Cross Interleaved
| Reed-Solomon code (CIRC) and other error tolerance schemes providing
| placement diversity.

| Sometimes test discs with natural flaws (like cleaning them with steel
| wool) work even better than the ones with the intentionally fabricated
| flaws especially when troubleshooting sled or lens (tracking and focus
| signal) problems.

You mean -- You weren't joking ?

ROFLOL ^2

--
Dave

From: Dustin Cook on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in news:ho6hv6$tpj$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

>> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>>
>> | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

>> | I have successfully used steel wool.
>>

>> ROFLOL
>
> I worked on optical media players for years (Laserdisc, CD) and
> sometimes a scratch or scratches in the right direction prevents wild
> swings in the "tracking" signal from causing skips. Information is
> sometimes not lost behind the scratch because of Cross Interleaved
> Reed-Solomon code (CIRC) and other error tolerance schemes providing
> placement diversity.
>
> Sometimes test discs with natural flaws (like cleaning them with steel
> wool) work even better than the ones with the intentionally fabricated
> flaws especially when troubleshooting sled or lens (tracking and focus
> signal) problems.

I knew it! You *are* an electronics geek!

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior