From: Joerg on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 14:39:46 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> John Larkin wrote:
>>> I spent most of the day building this.
>>>
>>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Front.jpg
>>>
>>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Back.jpg
>>>
>>> which is a fixture to help test/cal a new VME module. It's powered by
>>> a 48-volt wall wart. Those old-fashioned teevee type terminal strips,
>>> and rotary switches, are pretty cool. This really deserves a more
>>> macho knob, but that's all I could find around the place without
>>> stealing one from something in the antique collection.
>>>
>>> The thing it connects to has 13 ARM processors and one FPGA on the
>>> board. Time warp.
>>>
>>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_top.jpg
>>>
>> Do I see three tantalums on the bottom right? Oh-oh ... :-)
>
> Yes. LM1117's like tantalums on their outputs; the ESR is just right,
> and will hold up at -20C. They are all 22u, 10v, 11 cents each, on the
> outputs of 3.3, 2.5, and 1.25 volt regulators. That should be safe.
>
> Why make rules if you can't break them once in a while?
>
> The 1.25 is FPGA core voltage; that's an LM1117 with its adj pin
> grounded. The 2.5 is FPGA VCCaux, another LM1117 with its adj pin tied
> to the 1.25 rail. I would happily show the programming resistor
> values, except there aren't any.

Well, if you have good experience with the LM1117 maybe it works. I just
don't trust LDOs anymore, too much grief. Only one was my own design and
only because the client absolutely insisted on a particular LDO to be
used. Then, sure enough ... *PHOOF* ... *POP*

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Joerg on
krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 14:39:46 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> John Larkin wrote:
>>> I spent most of the day building this.
>>>
>>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Front.jpg
>>>
>>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Back.jpg
>>>
>>> which is a fixture to help test/cal a new VME module. It's powered by
>>> a 48-volt wall wart. Those old-fashioned teevee type terminal strips,
>>> and rotary switches, are pretty cool. This really deserves a more
>>> macho knob, but that's all I could find around the place without
>>> stealing one from something in the antique collection.
>>>
>>> The thing it connects to has 13 ARM processors and one FPGA on the
>>> board. Time warp.
>>>
>>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_top.jpg
>>>
>> Do I see three tantalums on the bottom right? Oh-oh ... :-)
>
> Your replacement is?

Ceramics. Cheap. If an LDO is used (I always recommend not to do that)
and it requires a particular ESR range you can place resistors in
series. At least then you can be sure what the ESR is.

From: John Larkin on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:08:52 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>John Larkin wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 14:39:46 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Do I see three tantalums on the bottom right? Oh-oh ... :-)
>>
>> Yes. LM1117's like tantalums on their outputs; the ESR is just right,
>> and will hold up at -20C. They are all 22u, 10v, 11 cents each, on the
>> outputs of 3.3, 2.5, and 1.25 volt regulators. That should be safe.
>>
>> Why make rules if you can't break them once in a while?
>>
>> The 1.25 is FPGA core voltage; that's an LM1117 with its adj pin
>> grounded. The 2.5 is FPGA VCCaux, another LM1117 with its adj pin tied
>> to the 1.25 rail. I would happily show the programming resistor
>> values, except there aren't any.
>>

>Well, if you have good experience with the LM1117 maybe it works. I just
>don't trust LDOs anymore, too much grief. Only one was my own design and
>only because the client absolutely insisted on a particular LDO to be
>used. Then, sure enough ... *PHOOF* ... *POP*

The 1117 is basically an LM317 architecture with a little less
dropout. The final pass transistor is an NPN, so the open-loop output
impedance is relatively low. They are rugged, cheap, and stable if you
put a tantalum or aluminum on their output.

I use them as power amps, too, driving the adj pin with an opamp.

John

From: Jim Thompson on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:54:57 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:08:52 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>John Larkin wrote:

>>> Yes. LM1117's like tantalums on their outputs; the ESR is just right,
>>> and will hold up at -20C. They are all 22u, 10v, 11 cents each, on the
>>> outputs of 3.3, 2.5, and 1.25 volt regulators. That should be safe.
>>>
>>> Why make rules if you can't break them once in a while?
>>>
>>> The 1.25 is FPGA core voltage; that's an LM1117 with its adj pin
>>> grounded. The 2.5 is FPGA VCCaux, another LM1117 with its adj pin tied
>>> to the 1.25 rail. I would happily show the programming resistor
>>> values, except there aren't any.
>>>

>>Well, if you have good experience with the LM1117 maybe it works. I just
>>don't trust LDOs anymore, too much grief. Only one was my own design and
>>only because the client absolutely insisted on a particular LDO to be
>>used. Then, sure enough ... *PHOOF* ... *POP*
>
>The 1117 is basically an LM317 architecture with a little less
>dropout. The final pass transistor is an NPN, so the open-loop output
>impedance is relatively low. They are rugged, cheap, and stable if you
>put a tantalum or aluminum on their output.
>
>I use them as power amps, too, driving the adj pin with an opamp.
>
>John

Yep, 1.2V is not exactly low drop-out.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: Joerg on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:08:52 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> John Larkin wrote:

>>> Yes. LM1117's like tantalums on their outputs; the ESR is just right,
>>> and will hold up at -20C. They are all 22u, 10v, 11 cents each, on the
>>> outputs of 3.3, 2.5, and 1.25 volt regulators. That should be safe.
>>>
>>> Why make rules if you can't break them once in a while?
>>>
>>> The 1.25 is FPGA core voltage; that's an LM1117 with its adj pin
>>> grounded. The 2.5 is FPGA VCCaux, another LM1117 with its adj pin tied
>>> to the 1.25 rail. I would happily show the programming resistor
>>> values, except there aren't any.
>>>
>> Well, if you have good experience with the LM1117 maybe it works. I just
>> don't trust LDOs anymore, too much grief. Only one was my own design and
>> only because the client absolutely insisted on a particular LDO to be
>> used. Then, sure enough ... *PHOOF* ... *POP*
>
> The 1117 is basically an LM317 architecture with a little less
> dropout. The final pass transistor is an NPN, so the open-loop output
> impedance is relatively low. They are rugged, cheap, and stable if you
> put a tantalum or aluminum on their output.

At least they state a range from 0.3ohms to 22ohms for this one instead
of some obscure graph. I'd still prefer ceramics plus resistor but
that's more real estate which in your case often matters a lot.

> I use them as power amps, too, driving the adj pin with an opamp.

I have done that with the LM317, using it as a modulator. It doesn't get
much cheaper than that because the transmit stage needed a regulator
anyhow. So it was essentially a free modulator.