From: ehsjr on
John Larkin wrote:
> I spent most of the day building this.
>
> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Front.jpg

What did you use for the labels?

Ed

From: Fred Bartoli on
Joerg a �crit :
> John Larkin wrote:
>> I spent most of the day building this.
>>
>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Front.jpg
>>
>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Back.jpg
>>
>> which is a fixture to help test/cal a new VME module. It's powered by
>> a 48-volt wall wart. Those old-fashioned teevee type terminal strips,
>> and rotary switches, are pretty cool. This really deserves a more
>> macho knob, but that's all I could find around the place without
>> stealing one from something in the antique collection.
>>
>> The thing it connects to has 13 ARM processors and one FPGA on the
>> board. Time warp.
>>
>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_top.jpg
>>

> Do I see three tantalums on the bottom right? Oh-oh ... :-)

Hmmm, he said "Blast from the past" ;-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.
From: Joerg on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:19:23 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> John Larkin wrote:

>>> The 1117 is basically an LM317 architecture with a little less
>>> dropout. The final pass transistor is an NPN, so the open-loop output
>>> impedance is relatively low. They are rugged, cheap, and stable if you
>>> put a tantalum or aluminum on their output.
>>>
>> At least they state a range from 0.3ohms to 22ohms for this one instead
>> of some obscure graph. I'd still prefer ceramics plus resistor but
>> that's more real estate which in your case often matters a lot.
>>

>>> I use them as power amps, too, driving the adj pin with an opamp.
>>>
>> I have done that with the LM317, using it as a modulator. It doesn't get
>> much cheaper than that because the transmit stage needed a regulator
>> anyhow. So it was essentially a free modulator.
>
> And you get thermal limiting and current limiting for free.

But it doesn't dispense Guinness :-)

I was amazed how many Irish pubs there are in Mountain View. Wish I
could have come up and see you but we were on a tightly scheduled
round-trip through the west.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Joerg on
Fred Bartoli wrote:
> Joerg a �crit :
>> John Larkin wrote:
>>> I spent most of the day building this.
>>>
>>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Front.jpg
>>>
>>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Back.jpg
>>>
>>> which is a fixture to help test/cal a new VME module. It's powered by
>>> a 48-volt wall wart. Those old-fashioned teevee type terminal strips,
>>> and rotary switches, are pretty cool. This really deserves a more
>>> macho knob, but that's all I could find around the place without
>>> stealing one from something in the antique collection.
>>>
>>> The thing it connects to has 13 ARM processors and one FPGA on the
>>> board. Time warp.
>>>
>>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_top.jpg
>>>

>> Do I see three tantalums on the bottom right? Oh-oh ... :-)
>>

> Hmmm, he said "Blast from the past" ;-)

Good one :-)

From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:33:06 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>John Larkin wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:19:23 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> At least they state a range from 0.3ohms to 22ohms for this one instead
>>> of some obscure graph. I'd still prefer ceramics plus resistor but
>>> that's more real estate which in your case often matters a lot.

>>> I have done that with the LM317, using it as a modulator. It doesn't get
>>> much cheaper than that because the transmit stage needed a regulator
>>> anyhow. So it was essentially a free modulator.
>>
>> And you get thermal limiting and current limiting for free.
>>

>But it doesn't dispense Guinness :-)
>
>I was amazed how many Irish pubs there are in Mountain View. Wish I
>could have come up and see you but we were on a tightly scheduled
>round-trip through the west.

If you go to a Giants game at PacBell Park, you can actually get a
hand-made draft Black&Tan for the price of a regular beer. Of course,
that's $9.

Drop in anytime.

John