From: Jim Thompson on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 04:24:42 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>John Larkin wrote:
>>
>> I was shocked when I moved to CA. The only vehicle inspection is smog,
>> and new cars get a few years off for free. In Louisiana, we had a
>> "brake inspection" every six months! In a place so flat you barely
>> need brakes.
>

> Till the brake pedal goes to the floor, and the emergency brake does
>nothing. I've had it happen on three different brands over the last 40
>years. Blown brake line, blown master cylinder, and a Toyota Corona
>that would eject the rear brake pads with as little as 1/8" wear when
>you had to made a hard stop in reverse. No rear pads meant to emergency
>break. :(
>
> Others had the steel cable break, and one had the linkage come apart
>when I pulled the handle.

But you live in the rust belt. I've never had a brake failure...
knock on wood.

Most modern vehicles have redundant systems.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: Joerg on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 04:24:42 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
> <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> John Larkin wrote:
>>> I was shocked when I moved to CA. The only vehicle inspection is smog,
>>> and new cars get a few years off for free. In Louisiana, we had a
>>> "brake inspection" every six months! In a place so flat you barely
>>> need brakes.
>>
>> Till the brake pedal goes to the floor, and the emergency brake does
>> nothing. I've had it happen on three different brands over the last 40
>> years. Blown brake line, blown master cylinder, and a Toyota Corona
>> that would eject the rear brake pads with as little as 1/8" wear when
>> you had to made a hard stop in reverse. No rear pads meant to emergency
>> break. :(
>>
>> Others had the steel cable break, and one had the linkage come apart
>> when I pulled the handle.
>
> But you live in the rust belt. I've never had a brake failure...
> knock on wood.
>
> Most modern vehicles have redundant systems.

Except when the master cylinder goes. I had that happen. Weekend visit
to our families while in the army, Volkswagen Rabbit, fully loaded with
people and some gear, I was driving. Approached an older exit, the ones
that have very short deceleration lanes and sharp turns, pressed brake,
felt really sluggish. Shifted down hard, engine screaming, used the
parking brake at help, made the turn with screeching tires. The owner
(carefully) drove it to a repair shop on Saturday and they found that
the master cylinder had a big crack in it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Jim Thompson on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 09:19:18 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 04:24:42 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
>> <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> Till the brake pedal goes to the floor, and the emergency brake does
>>> nothing. I've had it happen on three different brands over the last 40
>>> years. Blown brake line, blown master cylinder, and a Toyota Corona
>>> that would eject the rear brake pads with as little as 1/8" wear when
>>> you had to made a hard stop in reverse. No rear pads meant to emergency
>>> break. :(
>>>
>>> Others had the steel cable break, and one had the linkage come apart
>>> when I pulled the handle.
>>
>> But you live in the rust belt. I've never had a brake failure...
>> knock on wood.
>>
>> Most modern vehicles have redundant systems.
>>

>Except when the master cylinder goes. I had that happen. Weekend visit
>to our families while in the army, Volkswagen Rabbit, fully loaded with
>people and some gear, I was driving. Approached an older exit, the ones
>that have very short deceleration lanes and sharp turns, pressed brake,
>felt really sluggish. Shifted down hard, engine screaming, used the
>parking brake at help, made the turn with screeching tires. The owner
>(carefully) drove it to a repair shop on Saturday and they found that
>the master cylinder had a big crack in it.

Most _modern_ vehicles have dual master and wheel cylinders.

Even in times of old :-) I've not had a cylinder crack... sounds like
poor maintenance, over or under torquing. I've had the rubber parts
start to deteriorate so that you had to "pump 'em up".

Had a clutch master cylinder (280Z) rubber go like that while I was
away from the house taking my boys to their soccer matches. Stopped
at the foreign car parts place and bought a kit (even came with a hone
:-), changed it out at the soccer match parking lot :-)

Tested the anti-skid braking and automatic seat-belt tightening
yesterday, a car pulled across in front of me while I was doing around
45 :-(

...Jim Thompson

From: Michael A. Terrell on

Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 04:24:42 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
> <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> >John Larkin wrote:
> >>
> >> I was shocked when I moved to CA. The only vehicle inspection is smog,
> >> and new cars get a few years off for free. In Louisiana, we had a
> >> "brake inspection" every six months! In a place so flat you barely
> >> need brakes.
> >

> > Till the brake pedal goes to the floor, and the emergency brake does
> >nothing. I've had it happen on three different brands over the last 40
> >years. Blown brake line, blown master cylinder, and a Toyota Corona
> >that would eject the rear brake pads with as little as 1/8" wear when
> >you had to made a hard stop in reverse. No rear pads meant to emergency
> >break. :(
> >
> > Others had the steel cable break, and one had the linkage come apart
> >when I pulled the handle.
>
> But you live in the rust belt. I've never had a brake failure...
> knock on wood.
>
> Most modern vehicles have redundant systems.

So? They still fail. I didn't mention the Opel Cadet that had the
hood latch fail. The hood blew up, into the windshield at 55 MPH, and
on it's way it ripped the reservoir off the master cylinder, and cut the
steel tubing. All the modern designs do is make you cocky, then you
die.