From: Joerg on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:24:29 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:39:23 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Actually that's surprising... DC motors have low-speed torque out the
>>> kazoo.
>>>
>>> As electric vehicles get tweaked-up I expect them to beat
>>> gasoline-powered... at least off-the-line.
>>>
>> The torque is just the problem. AFAIK some electric vehicles had to be
>> throttled down a bit. Even the Tesla supposedly "ate" transmissions
>> early on.
>>
>> I guess delivering the juice to the motor also has its limits.
>>

>>> I don't know if any of you recognize the name, Glen Madland? He
>>> founded ICE (Integrated Circuit Engineering) along with Howard Dicken.
>>> I was the ghost writer of all the training courses (at night, daytime
>>> at Moto).
>>>
>>> Glen and his son used to make dragsters using around 100V worth of
>>> lead acid and starter motors ;-)
>>>
>>> So fast off-the-line they had to use helmet straps to prevent broken
>>> necks ;-)
>>>
>> Even the builders of electric vehicles aren't immune to the acceleration
>> surprise, see 2nd half:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o15EALghp0
>
> Glen and son replaced starter motors after each "sprint" :-)

What for is a starter motor in an electric vehicle? Or did they use
those as the main motor?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Joerg on
krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:14:54 -0700, John Larkin
> <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:15:18 -0500, "krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
>> <krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

>>> Send it to my wife. She wants one just like that. Well, a charcoal interior
>>> and top would be better.
>> No, get her a *real* car
>>
>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/A3a.jpg
>>
>> 4wd, 150+ MPH, room in the back for the dog, and just as red.
>
> I'll get her what she wants. It *won't* be an Audi.

How about a Dodge Challenger, as long as they can be had with a HEMI?

From: Jim Thompson on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:39:29 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:24:29 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> The torque is just the problem. AFAIK some electric vehicles had to be
>>> throttled down a bit. Even the Tesla supposedly "ate" transmissions
>>> early on.
>>>
>>> I guess delivering the juice to the motor also has its limits.

>>> Even the builders of electric vehicles aren't immune to the acceleration
>>> surprise, see 2nd half:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o15EALghp0
>>
>> Glen and son replaced starter motors after each "sprint" :-)
>>

>What for is a starter motor in an electric vehicle? Or did they use
>those as the main motor?

Main motor :-)

They even built an Audi killer... one motor on each wheel :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: Jim Thompson on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:40:35 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

[snip extraneous and useless input]

>How about a Dodge Challenger, as long as they can be had with a HEMI?

Dodge Trucks can get me salivating.

Once-upon-a-time, I rented a Ford 11-passenger van to move Girl Scouts
to camp.

One of the (female) parents came separately in a Dodge Ram pick 'em up
truck.

Because of a forest fire advisory, it was decided to leave the van at
the camp (for maximum evacuation capability), and I'd drive the Dodge
Ram back to Phoenix and return 3-days later.

Wow! Drives comfortably like my Q45 but with maybe 50% more power!

Drool :-)

...Jim Thompson

From: krw on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:40:35 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:14:54 -0700, John Larkin
>> <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>>> No, get her a *real* car
>>>
>>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/A3a.jpg
>>>
>>> 4wd, 150+ MPH, room in the back for the dog, and just as red.
>>
>> I'll get her what she wants. It *won't* be an Audi.
>>

>How about a Dodge Challenger, as long as they can be had with a HEMI?

No more Chryslers, either. Gack! We actually were looking at an Audi *many*
moons ago, but found their reliability to be really poor and their
engineering/marketing suspect, at best.