From: Joerg on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:40:35 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> [snip extraneous and useless input]
>> How about a Dodge Challenger, as long as they can be had with a HEMI?
>
> Dodge Trucks can get me salivating.
>
> Once-upon-a-time, I rented a Ford 11-passenger van to move Girl Scouts
> to camp.
>
> One of the (female) parents came separately in a Dodge Ram pick 'em up
> truck.
>
> Because of a forest fire advisory, it was decided to leave the van at
> the camp (for maximum evacuation capability), and I'd drive the Dodge
> Ram back to Phoenix and return 3-days later.
>
> Wow! Drives comfortably like my Q45 but with maybe 50% more power!
>
> Drool :-)

Especially if it had a Cummins Turbo-Diesel. But you have to wear a
Stetson, Jeans and boots (with spurs) when driving one of those :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Joerg on
krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:40:35 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

>>> I'll get her what she wants. It *won't* be an Audi.
>>>
>> How about a Dodge Challenger, as long as they can be had with a HEMI?
>
> No more Chryslers, either. Gack! ...

Yeah, same here. But a Challenger, man, that's a different story ...

> ... We actually were looking at an Audi *many*
> moons ago, but found their reliability to be really poor and their
> engineering/marketing suspect, at best.

I was very happy with my big fat 1987 Audi station wagon, no major
repairs, ever. Former neighbor has it now, still runs as on day one and
he really puts the long-haul miles on it. Asked him if he had any major
repairs in the last 13 years. "Nope". Ok, one fender and a big dent in
the back when others hit the parked Audi. But that ain't Audi's fault
and was paid for by the other drivers' insurance.

I miss that car.

From: John Larkin on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:39:23 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>John Larkin wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:15:18 -0500, "krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
>> <krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

>>> Send it to my wife. She wants one just like that. Well, a charcoal interior
>>> and top would be better.
>>
>> No, get her a *real* car
>>
>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/A3a.jpg
>>
>> 4wd, 150+ MPH, room in the back for the dog, and just as red.
>>

>This ought to be _the_ real car, and I believe they make or plan to make
>an electric one:
>
>http://www.examiner.com/x-29213-Honda-and-Acura-Examiner~y2010m3d15-The-upcoming-Mercedes-AMG-SLS-GullWing-Coupe-is-a-unique-return-to-form
>
>AFAIK the electric one takes 4sec from 0-60mph while the gasoline
>version is a couple hundred msec zippier.

I am so sick of grey, white, black, silver, and repulsive
pearl-colored cars. You can drive for blocks around here and see
nothing but asphalt-colored cars. When I saw that true-red Audi for
sale, I had to have it.

That Mercedes is a decent shade of red, sort of arterial blood color.
I've started to see a few new cars on the street that are actual
colors, not just midnight blue or mud red, but *colors*. Maybe things
are turning around.

Those Germans sure know how to make cars. 0-60 in 3.7 seconds isn't
bad at all. That's 0.75 Gs, if I did the math right.

John

From: John Larkin on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:24:29 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:39:23 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> This ought to be _the_ real car, and I believe they make or plan to make
>>> an electric one:
>>>
>>> http://www.examiner.com/x-29213-Honda-and-Acura-Examiner~y2010m3d15-The-upcoming-Mercedes-AMG-SLS-GullWing-Coupe-is-a-unique-return-to-form
>>>
>>> AFAIK the electric one takes 4sec from 0-60mph while the gasoline
>>> version is a couple hundred msec zippier.
>>
>> Actually that's surprising... DC motors have low-speed torque out the
>> kazoo.
>>
>> As electric vehicles get tweaked-up I expect them to beat
>> gasoline-powered... at least off-the-line.
>>

>The torque is just the problem. AFAIK some electric vehicles had to be
>throttled down a bit. Even the Tesla supposedly "ate" transmissions
>early on.
>
>I guess delivering the juice to the motor also has its limits.
>

>> I don't know if any of you recognize the name, Glen Madland? He
>> founded ICE (Integrated Circuit Engineering) along with Howard Dicken.
>> I was the ghost writer of all the training courses (at night, daytime
>> at Moto).
>>
>> Glen and his son used to make dragsters using around 100V worth of
>> lead acid and starter motors ;-)
>>
>> So fast off-the-line they had to use helmet straps to prevent broken
>> necks ;-)
>>

>Even the builders of electric vehicles aren't immune to the acceleration
>surprise, see 2nd half:
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o15EALghp0

Idiot, showing off without a helmet.

I did that once, jammed a motorcycle into the wheel well of a car that
ran a stop sign in front of me. I flew over her hood, somersaulted on
the ground a few times, and came up OK. She screamed. Not showing off,
had helmet. Forks were seriously bent.

John

From: John Larkin on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:51:53 -0500, "krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
<krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:40:35 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

>>> I'll get her what she wants. It *won't* be an Audi.
>>>

>>How about a Dodge Challenger, as long as they can be had with a HEMI?
>
>No more Chryslers, either. Gack! We actually were looking at an Audi *many*
>moons ago, but found their reliability to be really poor and their
>engineering/marketing suspect, at best.

The A3 is superb to drive, especially in the mountains, or in snow or
wet. It just doesn't break loose. The mechanics are wonderful and the
electronics is annoying. No problems so far; if it breaks, I'll just
have it fixed. If all I wanted was reliable, I'd drive a Toyota or
some other little-old-lady car.

Chrysler has sure cornered the ugly-car market.

John