From: Joerg on
krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:29:43 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Joel Koltner wrote:
>>> "John Larkin" <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in
>>> message news:lthr4610pin79ldpnflqu3kd23p3g7lqgp(a)4ax.com...
>>> If you spray some clear acrylic over it it'll last for years... that's
>>> what we did back at university, and there was some really nicely done
>>> equipment there that was probably well over a decade old, holding up
>>> well. (...although there were plenty of hacked-up boxes with Sharpie
>>> marker lettering on them too...)
>>>
>> That's what I did as a kid, for my home-made ham radio gear. However, I
>> found it would only hold up to daily abuse if the aluminim was brushed a
>> bit and usually I also heated it before spraying, to the point where the
>> lettering just barely did not begin to shrivel. On non-brushed anodized
>> aluminum it all flaked off in due course. The lettering I used was from
>> a company called "Letra-Set", not sure if available in the US. It was
>> the professional stuff, otherwise used for shopping displays or
>> advertising material.
>
> Never had trouble with anodizing flaking off. Maybe you got E. German
> aluminum. ;-) I think I still have my transmitter and last time I checked
> (when we moved - '08) the panel was still in good shape. I used Letra-Set on
> that, too, with DataKote (?) sprayed over it. I built the transmitter in '66.

It wasn't the anodizing that flaked off but the spray coating lifting
from the anodized surface. Worst case where a letter or number was.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: krw on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:33:48 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

>>> That's what I did as a kid, for my home-made ham radio gear. However, I
>>> found it would only hold up to daily abuse if the aluminim was brushed a
>>> bit and usually I also heated it before spraying, to the point where the
>>> lettering just barely did not begin to shrivel. On non-brushed anodized
>>> aluminum it all flaked off in due course. The lettering I used was from
>>> a company called "Letra-Set", not sure if available in the US. It was
>>> the professional stuff, otherwise used for shopping displays or
>>> advertising material.
>>
>> Never had trouble with anodizing flaking off. Maybe you got E. German
>> aluminum. ;-) I think I still have my transmitter and last time I checked
>> (when we moved - '08) the panel was still in good shape. I used Letra-Set on
>> that, too, with DataKote (?) sprayed over it. I built the transmitter in '66.
>

>It wasn't the anodizing that flaked off but the spray coating lifting
>from the anodized surface. Worst case where a letter or number was.

Never had that problem with DataKote, unless it was damaged (scratched).
From: Joel Koltner on
"Joerg" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> And under no circumstances would I dip into the brewsky
> budget, ever.

How does one determine the brewsky budget? Is it a fixed amount per week, a
certain percentage of income...?

Could the brewsky budget be raided for, e.g., dinner dates with attractive
women? :-) (I recall a couple of times I was raided funds fully intended for
something else because some girl said, 'yes...')

Just curious... :-)

From: Joerg on
Joel Koltner wrote:
> "Joerg" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> And under no circumstances would I dip into the brewsky
>> budget, ever.
>
> How does one determine the brewsky budget? Is it a fixed amount per
> week, a certain percentage of income...?

I don't remember what the average lifetime of a crate was but the kitty
was replenished every time it went below 10 bottles or so.

> Could the brewsky budget be raided for, e.g., dinner dates with
> attractive women? :-) (I recall a couple of times I was raided funds
> fully intended for something else because some girl said, 'yes...')

Ahm, guilty :-)

[...]

From: Joerg on
krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:33:48 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

>>> Never had trouble with anodizing flaking off. Maybe you got E. German
>>> aluminum. ;-) I think I still have my transmitter and last time I checked
>>> (when we moved - '08) the panel was still in good shape. I used Letra-Set on
>>> that, too, with DataKote (?) sprayed over it. I built the transmitter in '66.
>>
>> It wasn't the anodizing that flaked off but the spray coating lifting
>>from the anodized surface. Worst case where a letter or number was.
>
> Never had that problem with DataKote, unless it was damaged (scratched).

In Europe there was no DataKote, and I think it's been discontinued here
as well. So I had to make do with whatever was in the budget. And that
wasn't always much. I remember that I applied the clear coat on my regen
receiver from a bottle, using a brush. Afterwards I was a bit
disappointed but got used to the uneven look, actually started liking
it. Nowadays it's all the rage and called faux painting :-)