From: John Larkin on
I spent most of the day building this.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Front.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Back.jpg

which is a fixture to help test/cal a new VME module. It's powered by
a 48-volt wall wart. Those old-fashioned teevee type terminal strips,
and rotary switches, are pretty cool. This really deserves a more
macho knob, but that's all I could find around the place without
stealing one from something in the antique collection.

The thing it connects to has 13 ARM processors and one FPGA on the
board. Time warp.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_top.jpg

John

From: Grant on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:29:11 -0700, John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>I spent most of the day building this.
>
>ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Front.jpg
>
>ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Back.jpg
>
>which is a fixture to help test/cal a new VME module. It's powered by
>a 48-volt wall wart. Those old-fashioned teevee type terminal strips,
>and rotary switches, are pretty cool. This really deserves a more
>macho knob, but that's all I could find around the place without
>stealing one from something in the antique collection.
>
>The thing it connects to has 13 ARM processors and one FPGA on the
>board. Time warp.
>
>ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_top.jpg

One thing I don't miss are the tag strips ;) Would've glued a bit
of blank PCB behind the panel and buzzed a pattern with diamond bit
for those few components. No screws in front panel then ;')

Bet you're glad to be moving those new V220 whatsits out the door?

Grant.
From: Joerg on
John Larkin wrote:
> I spent most of the day building this.
>
> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Front.jpg
>
> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Back.jpg
>
> which is a fixture to help test/cal a new VME module. It's powered by
> a 48-volt wall wart. Those old-fashioned teevee type terminal strips,
> and rotary switches, are pretty cool. This really deserves a more
> macho knob, but that's all I could find around the place without
> stealing one from something in the antique collection.
>
> The thing it connects to has 13 ARM processors and one FPGA on the
> board. Time warp.
>
> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_top.jpg

Do I see three tantalums on the bottom right? Oh-oh ... :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: krw on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 14:39:46 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>John Larkin wrote:
>> I spent most of the day building this.
>>
>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Front.jpg
>>
>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Back.jpg
>>
>> which is a fixture to help test/cal a new VME module. It's powered by
>> a 48-volt wall wart. Those old-fashioned teevee type terminal strips,
>> and rotary switches, are pretty cool. This really deserves a more
>> macho knob, but that's all I could find around the place without
>> stealing one from something in the antique collection.
>>
>> The thing it connects to has 13 ARM processors and one FPGA on the
>> board. Time warp.
>>
>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_top.jpg
>>

>Do I see three tantalums on the bottom right? Oh-oh ... :-)

Your replacement is?
From: John Larkin on
wrote:

>John Larkin wrote:
>> I spent most of the day building this.
>>
>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Front.jpg
>>
>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_Test_Back.jpg
>>
>> which is a fixture to help test/cal a new VME module. It's powered by
>> a 48-volt wall wart. Those old-fashioned teevee type terminal strips,
>> and rotary switches, are pretty cool. This really deserves a more
>> macho knob, but that's all I could find around the place without
>> stealing one from something in the antique collection.
>>
>> The thing it connects to has 13 ARM processors and one FPGA on the
>> board. Time warp.
>>
>> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V220_top.jpg
>>

>Do I see three tantalums on the bottom right? Oh-oh ... :-)

Yes. LM1117's like tantalums on their outputs; the ESR is just right,
and will hold up at -20C. They are all 22u, 10v, 11 cents each, on the
outputs of 3.3, 2.5, and 1.25 volt regulators. That should be safe.

Why make rules if you can't break them once in a while?

The 1.25 is FPGA core voltage; that's an LM1117 with its adj pin
grounded. The 2.5 is FPGA VCCaux, another LM1117 with its adj pin tied
to the 1.25 rail. I would happily show the programming resistor
values, except there aren't any.

John