From: Sven Joachim on
On 2010-08-08 09:39 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:

> Alexander Samad:
>>
>> I am looking at how to build 2.6.35 the debian way so I end up with
>> deb packages.
>
> The easiest way to get a kernel deb is to fetch vanilla sources from
> kernel.org, unpack them and run 'make && make deb-pkg'. I am not sure
> whether such packages create an initramfs on installation by default,
> nowadays.

They run the scripts in /etc/kernel/postinst.d in the postinst, and with
initramfs-tools 0.94 or newer this is sufficient to generate an
initramfs.

Sven

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Alexander Samad <alex(a)samad.com.au> wrote:

> I am looking at how to build 2.6.35 the debian way so I end up with
> deb packages. the current situation is 2.6.35 is avail in experimental
> (>?!) with out a linux-kbuild packages - last time I asked about this
> it was because they only wanted people who understood how to build to
> play with the new linux-image.  what ever the reason thats cool. I
> would like to install and play with the new kernel and I need headers.
> So I have had a look here
> http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage,
> there is a section on building linux-kbuild - but guess what the svn
> co downloads the 2.6.34 version :(

If you don't want to wait for 2.6.35 to be available from a Debian
source, you can get the 2.6.35 source from kernel.org and build a
kernel the Debian way. You could also be really lazy while waiting for
Debian to make 2.6.35 available and download a 2.6.35 deb from a
Ubuntu repository...

> I found this http://www.linuxconfig.org/building-kernels-the-debian-way
> - the comment down the bottom with the script - looks promising. going
> to give this a try.

If you do use that script, you should remove the embedded sudos from
it. If you do use the script as is, you might want to increase sudo's
" timestamp_timeout" value.

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
is a good guide to building a kernel the Debian way. It is written by
d-u regular and is included in the kernel-package documentation as
/usr/share/kernel-package/docs/Kernel.htm

* Alexander Samad [100808 12:45 +1000]:
> Hi
>
> I am looking at how to build 2.6.35 the debian way so I end up with
> deb packages.

http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html

Elimar

--
>what IMHO then?
IMHO - Inhalation of a Multi-leafed Herbal Opiate ;)
--posting from alex in debian-user--

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Bob Proulx <bob(a)proulx.com> wrote:
> Alexander Samad wrote:
>
>> sudo CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image
>
> You shouldn't compile using root permissions.  You don't need to use
> sudo there and it is not desired.

>From the kernel-package documentation:

4% $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
(Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
sudo are examples that come to mind).

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 03:10:10 -0400 (EDT), Angus Hedger wrote:

> I have been fumbling my way though building custom kernels on debian
> using this guide http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
>
> Though, I have been using the .config from the stock 2.6.32 kernel and
> customising it to fit, as when I tried to make my own from scratch it
> didn’t boot.

That is not recommended unless you are building a custom version of
a 2.6.32 kernel. There are 2.6.35 stock kernel images available
in experimental. For example: linux-image-2.6.35-rc6-686 or
linux-image-2.6.35-rc6-amd64. If one of them will not do, you should
at least use the config file from one of those as your starting
point for configuration of your 2.6.35 source rather than using a
2.6.32 config file. A Debian source package for 2.6.35 is also
available in experimental: linux-source-2.6.35.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :