From: Alexander Samad on
Hi

I am looking at how to build 2.6.35 the debian way so I end up with
deb packages. the current situation is 2.6.35 is avail in experimental
(>?!) with out a linux-kbuild packages - last time I asked about this
it was because they only wanted people who understood how to build to
play with the new linux-image. what ever the reason thats cool. I
would like to install and play with the new kernel and I need headers.
So

I have had a look here
http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage,
there is a section on building linux-kbuild - but guess what the svn
co downloads the 2.6.34 version :(

I found this http://www.linuxconfig.org/building-kernels-the-debian-way
- the comment down the bottom with the script - looks promising. going
to give this a try.

sudo CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image
kernel_headers modules_image <- this seems todo most of the work

So my thoughts were to start out with .config from 2.6.34 make
olconfig it and then customise it from there.

I seem to remember you could some how get the src package for
linux-kbuild of experimental and thus just build it from there

Any help comments would be appreciated

Alex

Alexander Samad wrote:
> I have had a look here
> http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage,
> there is a section on building linux-kbuild - but guess what the svn
> co downloads the 2.6.34 version :(
>
> I found this http://www.linuxconfig.org/building-kernels-the-debian-way
> - the comment down the bottom with the script - looks promising. going
> to give this a try.

See also the old newbiedoc too.

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

> sudo CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image

You shouldn't compile using root permissions. You don't need to use
sudo there and it is not desired.

> kernel_headers modules_image <- this seems todo most of the work
>
> So my thoughts were to start out with .config from 2.6.34 make
> olconfig it and then customise it from there.

Yes. Start out using the previous config and then build the new
kernel using that as a starting point. I have previously built
kernels using a command line like this (where "-2" is the second
custom build):

$ fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -2-686-custom modules_image

If you want to set the concurrency level then the right shell syntax
is to put that first on the command line.

$ CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -3-686-custom modules_image

Bob
From: Bob Proulx on
I should also say that I have the following in my ~/.devscripts file
so as to always customize dpkg-buildpackage.

DEBUILD_DPKG_BUILDPACKAGE_OPTS="-uc -us"

That avoids signing the source or changes files. Which IMNHO really
shouldn't be done as part of the build but only later when you are
ready to sign off on the package. You can use debsign when ready.

Bob
From: Angus Hedger on
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Alexander Samad <alex(a)samad.com.au> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking at how to build 2.6.35 the debian way so I end up with
> deb packages. the current situation is 2.6.35 is avail in experimental
> (>?!) with out a linux-kbuild packages - last time I asked about this
> it was because they only wanted people who understood how to build to
> play with the new linux-image.  what ever the reason thats cool. I
> would like to install and play with the new kernel and I need headers.
> So
>
> I have had a look here
> http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage,
> there is a section on building linux-kbuild - but guess what the svn
> co downloads the 2.6.34 version :(
>
> I found this http://www.linuxconfig.org/building-kernels-the-debian-way
> - the comment down the bottom with the script - looks promising. going
> to give this a try.
>
> sudo CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image
> kernel_headers modules_image <- this seems todo most of the work
>
> So my thoughts were to start out with .config from 2.6.34 make
> olconfig it and then customise it from there.
>

> I seem to remember you could some how get the src package for
> linux-kbuild of experimental and thus just build it from there
>
> Any help comments would be appreciated
>
> Alex

I have been fumbling my way though building custom kernels on debian
using this guide http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.

Though, I have been using the .config from the stock 2.6.32 kernel and
customising it to fit, as when I tried to make my own from scratch it
didn’t boot.

Regards,

Angus

ps, I have been having a weird bug with make-kpkg where, after
building kernel headers and installing them as well as the image, the
/lib/modules/<kernel version name>/build symlink has been pointing to
the linux src dir that I used to build the kernel rather than the
headers dir in /usr/src/linux-headers-<kernel version name>, just a
heads up to watch out for that, I havent bug reported it yet as im not
sure what the bug is with, as it worked fine to start with!

Alexander Samad:

> I am looking at how to build 2.6.35 the debian way so I end up with
> deb packages.

The easiest way to get a kernel deb is to fetch vanilla sources from
kernel.org, unpack them and run 'make && make deb-pkg'. I am not sure
whether such packages create an initramfs on installation by default,
nowadays.

J.
--
In idle moments I remember former lovers with sentimental tenderness.
[Agree] [Disagree]