From: Tom H on
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Bob Proulx <bob(a)proulx.com> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>> >
>> > You shouldn't compile using root permissions.  You don't need to use
>> > sudo there and it is not desired.
>>
>> >From the kernel-package documentation:
>>
>>  4% $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
>>       (Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
>>       sudo are examples that come to mind).
>
> Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should do it.
> You shouldn't be using root to build packages.

I wasn't saying that you should use sudo. I was pointing out that you
were wrong in saying that "shouldn't compile using root permissions".

The kernel-package documentation is clear; you need "$Get_Root".

Whether you choose fakeroot, sudo, su, or log on as root, is a
religious-type discussion that you can have with someone who cares
about such things.

See http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/08/msg00455.html

Tom H writes:
> I wasn't saying that you should use sudo. I was pointing out that you
> were wrong in saying that "shouldn't compile using root permissions".

No he wasn't.

> Whether you choose fakeroot, sudo, su, or log on as root, is a
> religious-type discussion that you can have with someone who cares
> about such things.

Read the fakeroot man page. Fakroot does _not_ "get root". It does not
give you any additional powers: that is why it exists.
--
John Hasler

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 19:38:48 -0400
Tom H <tomh0665(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Whether you choose fakeroot, sudo, su, or log on as root, is a
> religious-type discussion that you can have with someone who cares
> about such things.

As others have pointed out, the difference between fakeroot and the
other choices is significant indeed; the latter run code as root, while
the former does not.

Celejar

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 19:01:50 -0400 (EDT), Alexander Samad wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 03:10:10 -0400 (EDT), Angus Hedger wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been fumbling my way though building custom kernels on debian
>>> using this guide http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
>>>
>>> Though, I have been using the .config from the stock 2.6.32 kernel and
>>> customising it to fit, as when I tried to make my own from scratch it
>>> didn’t boot.
>>
>> That is not recommended unless you are building a custom version of
>> a 2.6.32 kernel.  There are 2.6.35 stock kernel images available
>> in experimental.  For example: linux-image-2.6.35-rc6-686 or
>> linux-image-2.6.35-rc6-amd64.  If one of them will not do, you should
>> at least use the config file from one of those as your starting
>> point for configuration of your 2.6.35 source rather than using a
>> 2.6.32 config file.
>
> I did trying using the packages for 2.6.35, but you can't install the
> headers because the linux-kbuild-2.6.35 is there

Why do you want to install the headers if you already have the whole
kernel source code? What are you trying to accomplish besides
building a custom kernel?

>> A Debian source package for 2.6.35 is also
>> available in experimental: linux-source-2.6.35.
>
> can I use make-kpkg against this ?

I haven't tried that specific source package, but I don't know of
any reason why it wouldn't work.

> my reason for doing this is I have a problem with my screen - there is
> a bug open at freedesktop.org. and I need to get the lastest git from
> drm-intel....

So does this video driver use an out-of-kernel-source-tree kernel
module, like the proprietary nvidia driver does? Are you trying to
use module-assistant? Is that why you need the headers (or why you
think you need the headers)?

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :