From: Stephen Powell on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:55:40 -0400 (EDT), Sven Joachim wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I do know about groups, but I don't necessarily know the intended
>> purpose of all of the pre-defined groups in a Linux system. Where
>> can I find documentation for that?
>
> For Debian, there is some information in the /usr/share/doc/base-passwd/
> directory.

Thanks, Sven! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:34:34 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:

> says! I suppose the most secure method would be to create an id just
> for kernel building which is a member of group src and its login
> group, and that's it.

How about copying the source to an unprivileged location, assuming you
have the space?

Celejar

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:11:33 -0400 (EDT), Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:34:34 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I suppose the most secure method would be to create an id just
>> for kernel building which is a member of group src and its login
>> group, and that's it.
>
> How about copying the source to an unprivileged location, assuming you
> have the space?

Yes, that is an option also; but it too has drawbacks, especially if
you are building out-of-kernel-source-tree module packages in addition
to your kernel package. Here's an excerpt from one of my previous posts
on this thread:

(3) If I am using out-of-kernel-source-tree module source packages,
I have to copy them too. By default, the source code installs to
/usr/src/modules, I think. All the same issues arise here. And
then I have to use the $MODULE_LOC environment variable to tell
make-kpkg where to find the module source code. More overrides.
It's just simpler to be root and do everything in its default location.

Then of course there are disk space requirements, if the source is
copied instead of moved. "Every solution breeds more problems."
(author unknown)

The latest version of my kernel building web page, revised yesterday
(http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm), recommends unpacking,
configuring, and compiling the kernel from its default location
as a non-root user which is a member of group src. It can be the
system administrator's non-superuser self or an id created
specifically for kernel building that is enrolled in group src,
at the administrator's discretion. I have tested the procedure,
and it works. That's my current recommendation. Obviously, you
are entitled to disagree if you like.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

> The latest version of my kernel building web page, revised yesterday
> (http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm), recommends unpacking,
> configuring, and compiling the kernel from its default location
> as a non-root user which is a member of group src.  It can be the
> system administrator's non-superuser self or an id created
> specifically for kernel building that is enrolled in group src,
> at the administrator's discretion.  I have tested the procedure,
> and it works.  That's my current recommendation.  Obviously, you
> are entitled to disagree if you like.

It's a pretty great document Stephen, and I don't think I mentioned
earlier that it was my first and authoritative reference when first
starting to build kernels, for exactly the reason you noted, much
documentation is out-of-date or not debian specific. So thanks for
that, belatedly.

One thing I think is missing, that I had to discover myself, and
perhaps is related to the OPs question, is that sometimes you need the
headers and even the source for the custom kernels, e.g., Virtualbox
from upstream. In which case, adding kernel_headers and/or
kernel_source to the make-kpkg build line is a noteworthy item, since
it will build debs' and take care of installing them correctly without
linking back to the build directory when searching for source.

Best,
AM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:27:50 -0400 (EDT), Arthur Machlas wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> The latest version of my kernel building web page, revised yesterday
>> (http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm), recommends unpacking,
>> configuring, and compiling the kernel from its default location
>> as a non-root user which is a member of group src.  It can be the
>> system administrator's non-superuser self or an id created
>> specifically for kernel building that is enrolled in group src,
>> at the administrator's discretion.  I have tested the procedure,
>> and it works.  That's my current recommendation.  Obviously, you
>> are entitled to disagree if you like.
>
> It's a pretty great document Stephen, and I don't think I mentioned
> earlier that it was my first and authoritative reference when first
> starting to build kernels, for exactly the reason you noted, much
> documentation is out-of-date or not debian specific. So thanks for
> that, belatedly.
>
> One thing I think is missing, that I had to discover myself, and
> perhaps is related to the OPs question, is that sometimes you need the
> headers and even the source for the custom kernels, e.g., Virtualbox
> from upstream. In which case, adding kernel_headers and/or
> kernel_source to the make-kpkg build line is a noteworthy item, since
> it will build debs' and take care of installing them correctly without
> linking back to the build directory when searching for source.

That is valuable real-world feedback from a real-world user, Arthur.
I will see what I can do to improve the document in this respect.
I haven't done anything like that myself; so if you have some suggested
wording that you would like to see added, tell me what and where, and
we'll go from there.

I would also like to add an out-of-kernel-source-tree modules example.
It has been a long time since I did anything with
out-of-kernel-source-tree stuff. The last time I did something like
that was back in the days when the pcmcia drivers and the alsa drivers
were not yet integrated into the main kernel source tree. And that
was about ten years ago, I think. Much has changed in the world of
kernel building since then. But we now have things like the proprietary
nvidia kernel module and proprietary kernel modules for win-modems
that can be used as examples. I have occasion to use both of those
examples with my current hardware.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :