From: Stephen Powell on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 07:48:48 -0400 (EDT), Tom H wrote:

> http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
> is a good guide to building a kernel the Debian way. It is written by
> d-u regular and is included in the kernel-package documentation as
> /usr/share/kernel-package/docs/Kernel.htm

Unfortunately, the version included with kernel-package is out of date,
especially "Customizing the Kernel Installation Environment". I
recommend reading the online web version.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 03:10:10 -0400 (EDT), Angus Hedger wrote:
>>
>> I have been fumbling my way though building custom kernels on debian
>> using this guide http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
>>
>> Though, I have been using the .config from the stock 2.6.32 kernel and
>> customising it to fit, as when I tried to make my own from scratch it
>> didn’t boot.
>
> That is not recommended unless you are building a custom version of
> a 2.6.32 kernel.  There are 2.6.35 stock kernel images available
> in experimental.  For example: linux-image-2.6.35-rc6-686 or
> linux-image-2.6.35-rc6-amd64.  If one of them will not do, you should
> at least use the config file from one of those as your starting
> point for configuration of your 2.6.35 source rather than using a
> 2.6.32 config file.  A Debian source package for 2.6.35 is also
> available in experimental: linux-source-2.6.35.
>
> --
>  .''`.     Stephen Powell
>  : :'  :
>  `. `'`
>   `-

Oooh, I didnt know there was a 2.6.35 package, Ill go extract the
..config and rebase mine on that now, thanks a lot!

Angus

ps, cheers for your work on the guide, its been invaluable

Tom H wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Alexander Samad wrote:
> >> sudo CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image
> >
> > You shouldn't compile using root permissions. You don't need to use
> > sudo there and it is not desired.
>
> >From the kernel-package documentation:
>
> 4% $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
> (Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
> sudo are examples that come to mind).

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should do it.
You shouldn't be using root to build packages.

Bob
From: Alexander Samad on
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 03:10:10 -0400 (EDT), Angus Hedger wrote:
>>
>> I have been fumbling my way though building custom kernels on debian
>> using this guide http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
>>
>> Though, I have been using the .config from the stock 2.6.32 kernel and
>> customising it to fit, as when I tried to make my own from scratch it
>> didn’t boot.
>
> That is not recommended unless you are building a custom version of
> a 2.6.32 kernel.  There are 2.6.35 stock kernel images available
> in experimental.  For example: linux-image-2.6.35-rc6-686 or
> linux-image-2.6.35-rc6-amd64.  If one of them will not do, you should
> at least use the config file from one of those as your starting

I did trying using the packages for 2.6.35, but you can't install the
headers because the linux-kbuild-2.6.35 is there

> point for configuration of your 2.6.35 source rather than using a
> 2.6.32 config file.  A Debian source package for 2.6.35 is also
> available in experimental: linux-source-2.6.35.

can I use make-kpkg against this ?

my reason for doing this is I have a problem with my screen - there is
a bug open at freedesktop.org. and I need to get the lastest git from
drm-intel....

Alex

Tom H wrote:
> 4% $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
> (Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
> sudo are examples that come to mind).

>From the fakeroot man page:

DESCRIPTION

fakeroot runs a command in an environment wherein it appears to
have root privileges for file manipulation. This is useful for
allowing users to create archives (tar, ar, .deb etc.) with files
in them with root permissions/ownership. Without fakeroot one
would need to have root privileges to create the constituent
files of the archives with the correct permissions and ownership,
and then pack them up, or one would have to construct the
archives directly, without using the archiver.

--
John Hasler