From: carlysle on
"Robert Heller" <heller(a)deepsoft.com> wrote in message

> The only sort of 'unifying' interface is going to be an *intelligent*
> voice-recognition / natural-language type of interface, ala Star Trek.

I downloaded and installed the Star Trek voice recognition software from
sourceforge.net, but it indicates a fatal error with "The ship's gonna blow
in aboot 5 minutes."

From: Richard Steiner on
Here in comp.os.linux.misc,
"Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> spake unto us, saying:

> There have been other attempts to do this, but there are good
> reasons they didn't catch on.

It's true that old-school *NIX folks seem quite resistent to the idea
of putting anything between the user or administrator and the good old
command line, but the concept was quite common in MS-DOS, and dozens of
different "filemanager" and "menu system" implementations were created
for DOS over the years, some of them relatively sophisticated.

I've seen both types of applications under different *nix environments
as well. My current ISP provides a little point-and-shoot menu system
called MSH for users as an optional initial shell on their Solaris shell
server, which is very helpful for novice shell users, and mc (Midnight
Commander) is relatively popular among Linux users (being a clone and
functional superset of the old DOS-based Norton Commander filemanager).

The idea of each is to suppliment the command line, not to replace it,
and tools like mc do a very good job of coexisting with a standard
shell while providing capabilities that are awkward if one is limited
to only using standard shell scripts, aliases, etc.

> I just read about two of them in an old (1988) book, Understanding
> UNIX, A Conceptual Guide. It mentions ASSIST, "a menu-driven.
> forms-based utility that helps the user construct Unix commands",
> and Visual Shell in XENIX, "a menu-driven user interface patterned
> after the MultiPlan spreadsheet".

Heh. I'm afraid a *LOT* has happened in the world of text-based user
interfaces since 1988. :-)

> In order to be a viable alternative to the command line, a menu
> system would have to be huge and unwieldly. Imagine writing a
> front-end to a command such as find without emasculating it.

Not really. It just has to serve its defined purpose while allowing
authorized users to bypass it and use the real shell for more complex
tasks.

I generally create a sizable selection of shell scripts and aliases on
any platform that I use (on the Unisys mainframe environment I work in,
I have so many aliases that I had to create my own help system in order
to keep them straight!), but there are still times when I find that a
visual menu system or a filemanager-type application comes in handy.

The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
From: Richard Steiner on
Here in comp.os.linux.misc,
Bill Marcum <bmarcum(a)iglou.com> spake unto us, saying:

>If you like DOSShell or Norton Commander, try mc.

Another approach is the one used by UnixTree (an XTree clone):

http://www.unixtree.org/

The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
From: Richard Steiner on
Here in comp.os.linux.misc,
John Hasler <john(a)dhh.gt.org> spake unto us, saying:

>Seb writes:
>
>> Can we get the best of both worlds with an interface using charts/fields
>> of text?
>
>No.

If he's talking about a tool like Midnight Commander, than I strongly
disagree. Such tools can greatly enhance a user's (or adminstrator's)
productivity, and they provide/combine both CLI and GUI elements.

See sites such as

http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/

or

http://www.XTreeFanPage.org/

for more information.

The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
From: Richard Steiner on
Here in comp.os.linux.misc, silicono2(a)yahoo.com spake unto us, saying:

>I've had a Unix-using acquaintance tell me that he much preferred
>command lines over GUI, even when using Windows. For all the advantages
>of GUI I agree that it's much easier to issue a series of commands in a
>command line or do something like "copy *.* a:" as well. Can we get the
>best of both worlds with an interface using charts/fields of text?

Depends on what you mean. Something like Midnight Commander, as one
example, provides a command line plus a number of GUI elements in text
mode (mouse support, pull-down menus, point-and-shoot operations, etc)
and might fit your definition.

>Of course you can argue that a fields/charts interface is in fact a
>GUI, with "true" graphics simply replaced by ASCII graphics?

You're referring to something like a curses interface (test-mode but
with pull-down menus, resizable windows, etc?

Yes, one could argue that it's a GUI. It uses graphical elements to
define a user interface.

The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.