From: Tobias Brox on
[Lee Sau Dan]
> notbob> irreplaceable in certain applications. How can a keyboard
> notbob> easily create a diagonal line? It can't.

> It can! A command like: draw_line (0,0)-(20,10) draws a line inclined
> at 30 degrees w.r.t. the x-axis. Much easier and _more precise_ than
> having to aim at the exact coordinates with a mouse.

Turtle graphics is also a nice one, like turtle.py or the old logos
programming language. Drawings are made by commands; like, to draw a
6-fold star one could do things like:

repeat 2:
repeat 3:
forward 160
right 120 degrees
left 30 degrees
pen up
forward 80
pen down
right 90 degrees

(find one error)

Now, using python and i.e. turtle.py almost anyone can start making
complicated drawings and user-defined subroutines.

For some applications the programmatic approach can work out just
beutiful, regardless if it's using the turtle graphics or absolute
position graphics. I.e. stars of different sizes, flowers, spirals -
just some few lines of code, and that's it.

However, in most contexts - if one is to make some drawings or
diagram, _most people_ would do much better with a good drawing
program using a mouse (or other pointing device). I have tried to
make simple drawings using turtle graphics, even though I consider
myself to be a command line guru and gui-basher, it was a really
time-consuming effort compared to pointing and clicking with a mouse.
Ok, I must admit, for me it's also time-consuming to make drawings in
a drawing program - but not that extreme.

As for exactness, the very most drawing programs supports "snap to
grid", and that's usually sufficient for me (not that I make many
drawings anyway).

--
This signature has been virus scanned, and is probably safe to read
Tobias Brox, 69?42'N, 18?57'E
From: Tobias Brox on
[Lee Sau Dan]
> It's not hard to come up with a front-end to 'find'. e.g.

> Command: [find ]
> Arg 1: [/home/foo ]
> Arg 2: [-name ]
> Arg 3: [*.txt ]
> [Add More Args] [Go]

> But I bet you'll prefer the CLI to such a GUI, won't you?

I could do better than that.

First of all, we already have simple command-line completion. It can
also be extended to "smart" command-line completion, i.e. you write
"find /home/foo -n<tab>" and the command line completer would suggest
"-name".

Secondly, a [gt]ui/cli-tool that are aware of find, would of course have
find as a menu option, it would allow the user to chose what
directories to search, and it would have a pull-down-menu of all the
possible parameters to find, complete with help text and boxes for
filling out arguments.

This would help immensely for people who need to use find, but which
does not remember the syntax/commands, and/or doesn't have the
patience to RTFM.

Now, what would be lost out is the more complex stuff - like, piping
the output from find to another program (i.e. xargs), and building
advanced expressions with operators:
( EXPR ) ! EXPR -not EXPR EXPR1 -a EXPR2 EXPR1 -and EXPR2
EXPR1 -o EXPR2 EXPR1 -or EXPR2 EXPR1 , EXPR2
A good [gt]ui would solve this by generating and showing the command
line for the user and allowing the user to hand-edit it before
execution - plus, showing the relevant man-pages at the right places.

Piping could also be solved through a GUI, I think.

But why bother, people who are smart enough to see the use of piping
are usually also smart enough to get around in the CLI ;-)

From: Keith Keller on
On 2005-11-18, Tobias Brox <tobias(a)stud.cs.uit.no> wrote:

> First of all, we already have simple command-line completion. It can
> also be extended to "smart" command-line completion, i.e. you write
> "find /home/foo -n<tab>" and the command line completer would suggest
> "-name".

zsh already supports option-completion. :)

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: notbob on
On 2005-11-17, Lee Sau Dan <danlee(a)informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> It can! A command like: draw_line (0,0)-(20,10) draws a line inclined
> at 30 degrees w.r.t. the x-axis. Much easier and _more precise_ than
> having to aim at the exact coordinates with a mouse.

You are correct, of course, but very few programs don't have some sort
of snap capability. I once used a early computer graphics program
where all lines were done with coordinates. What a nightmare! This
was made even worse by the fact each line's x,y, and z coord had it's
own entry box in the gui and required hitting tab and arrow keys move
from one to the other. Very tedious and slow.

nb
From: Bradley K. Sherman on

When Google buys Microsoft, the command line will have triumphed
over the thin, thin candy shell of the GUI.

--bks