From: ynotssor on
<news(a)absamail.co.za> wrote in message

> If I'm doing an important/fascinating pencil & paper drawing,
> [computing task] I don't want to be distracted by the details
> to pencil-sharpening [the 'find' comand sysntax].

Any artist is so intimately involved with the tools of their expression that
the pencil shaping ("sharpening" is for writers) is an important, loving
component of same.

Ones "computing task" will be as limited by the GUI programmer as ones own
refusal to learn the find syntax.

From: Alan Connor on
On comp.os.linux.misc, in <M4ydnR00v5Qwv-HeRVn-hA(a)is.co.za>, "news(a)absamail.co.za" wrote:

This posts says Re: on the Subject line but has no References:
header.

Add that to the fact that they don't have a name in their From
header and I think I'll just leave the article on the server, and
the same for any responses to it.

+ +
+ TROLLS: Ignorant, motor-mouthed, and cowardly +
+ punks (often mentally ill) that run around +
+ the Usenet posting (usually abusive) garbage +
+ under multiple aliases. Usenet vermin. +
+ +
+ +

AC

--
http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html
URLs of possible interest in my headers.
From: Guy Macon on

news(a)absamail.co.za wrote:

>Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>
>>silicono2(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>Can we get the best of both worlds with an interface using
>>charts/fields of text?
>>
>>There have been other attempts to do this, but there are good
>>reasons they didn't catch on.
>>
>What are those "good reasons" ?!

Look here:
http://www.spack.org/wiki/InTheBeginningWasTheCommandLine

From: Lee Sau Dan on

silicono2> I've had a Unix-using acquaintance tell me that he much
silicono2> preferred command lines over GUI, even when using
silicono2> Windows.

Well... yes, when you give me a bash under Cygwin. No No No when you
give me the dumb COMMAND.COM or CMD.EXE.

silicono2> For all the advantages of GUI I agree that it's much
silicono2> easier to issue a series of commands in a command line
silicono2> or do something like "copy *.* a:" as well. Can we get
silicono2> the best of both worlds with an interface using
silicono2> charts/fields of text? The only example I can think of
silicono2> is BIOS config (also DOSshell a while ago), obviously
silicono2> it hasn't caught on.

There used to be such things on the PC. PCTools R5.1 was one of my
favourites. This file manager is a TUI (text user interface), where
you can do many things my a single keypress. It lists the files in a
directory, and highlights one of them at any time. Press the hot key
for delete, and it deletes that file. If you want to delete multiple
files, you can first TAG (or MARK) those lines, and then press the hot
key for delete to delete them all at once --- much easier and faster
to operate than those confusing Shift-click or Ctrl-click.

And there was Borland's text-based IDE for Turbo C/C++, Turbo Pascal,
Turbo Prolog, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Even nowadays, there are many, on Linux. Emacs's dir-ed resembles
PCTools 5.1 in the mode of operation, but just more powerful and
flexible. (e.g. it's allows different types of MARKS to exist a once,
with some operations operating only on certain marks.) Emacs's Gnus
news reader is also a very efficient TUI. And Emacs's PCL-CVS as well
as psvn packages provide TUI frontends to CVS and SVN, repectively.

Outside Emacs, there is 'aptitude' -- a TUI frontend for Debian's apt
utility. If I remember correctly, Pine also has a menu-based TUI.

silicono2> Of course you can argue that a fields/charts interface
silicono2> is in fact a GUI, with "true" graphics simply replaced
silicono2> by ASCII graphics?

Then main difference of the CLI from TUI/GUI is that CLI accepts
"sentences" conforming to certain grammar rules. The grammar is
usually relatively (w.r.t. human languages) simple. But the
vocabulary is very rich. This gives the richness of CLI's. That the
grammar is recursive also generates lots of possibilities.

TUI is much weaker in expressiveness. The vocabulary is only the set
of keys available on the keyboard. (Of course, you can extend it
using multi-keypress sequences.) This is more limited, but still
suitable for a restricted number of tasks. And it is still pretty
productive. A drawback is that the semantics of this vocabulary
varies from context (screen) to context. Key "j" in this screen can
perform a very different operation than key "j" in the next screen.
(A good and consistent design should avoid this, like those in Emacs.
But given the limited vocabulary, this is not an easy task.)

GUI? The vocabulary is even smaller: point and click (and
double-click, drag). So, this vocabulary is even more
context-dependent than TUI, and is even harder to get it consistent.
If you click the mouse button 1 pixel off the desired GUI buttons, you
may be performing a very different operation. This is very difficult
to learn and use efficiently.

Of course, the above are about the expressive power of the input (from
human to computer). In terms of output expressiveness, GUI is richer
and more compact (when done appropriate -- which is seldom the case
nowadays) than TUI, which is in turn richer and more compact than CLI.
But CLI has its power by harnessing the fruits of the shell text utils
-- making automation easier to program.

So, all in all, I think CLI is the best, if you want power and you
want to shift the tedious and repetitive work to the computer, leaving
yourself more time for interesting matters.

--
Lee Sau Dan §õ¦u´° ~{@nJX6X~}

E-mail: danlee(a)informatik.uni-freiburg.de
From: Lee Sau Dan on

Chris> In order to be a viable alternative to the command line,
Chris> a menu system would have to be huge and unwieldly. Imagine
Chris> writing a front-end to a command such as find without
Chris> emasculating it.

It's not hard to come up with a front-end to 'find'. e.g.

Command: [find ]
Arg 1: [/home/foo ]
Arg 2: [-name ]
Arg 3: [*.txt ]
[Add More Args] [Go]

But I bet you'll prefer the CLI to such a GUI, won't you?

Designing a *usable* GUI for 'find' without castrating the power and
expressiveness of it IS a big challenge. Similarly, a GUI for
clicking up a C program, instead of an editor for typing in the C
program, would be either more difficult and inefficient to use than an
editor, or be very restrictive (such as giving you a menu of 100 most
frequently wanted C programs, which are hard-coded into the GUI).