From: ynotssor on
"Richard Steiner" <rsteiner(a)visi.com> wrote in message

> It's true that old-school *NIX folks seem quite resistent to the idea
> of putting anything between the user or administrator and the good old
> command line, ...

Mostly because they don't want to be limited to the choices offered by the
GUI programmer. Redirection and pipes allow complete solution creativity.

From: Longfellow on
On 2005-11-16, silicono2(a)yahoo.com <silicono2(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've had a Unix-using acquaintance tell me that he much preferred
> command lines over GUI, even when using Windows. For all the advantages
> of GUI I agree that it's much easier to issue a series of commands in a
> command line or do something like "copy *.* a:" as well. Can we get the
> best of both worlds with an interface using charts/fields of text? The
> only example I can think of is BIOS config (also DOSshell a while ago),
> obviously it hasn't caught on.
> Of course you can argue that a fields/charts interface is in fact a
> GUI, with "true" graphics simply replaced by ASCII graphics?
>
> Seb

Like many of us, I've run most everything from JCL machines to palmtops,
and have run through all sorts of different presentation fads; green
screens to over-the-top Enlightenment eye candy with most everything
between at some point or other.

I think many of us have settled on something like Fluxbox, perhaps with
gkrellm in the slit, some serious slang apps (mutt, slrn), and a raft of
GUI terminals stashed all over everywhere doing different things. I can
launch the Gimp and run CLI ImageMagick stuff. I can run Audacity and
sox on CLI. Mix and match GUI and CLI as appropriate.

Best of both/many worlds means choosing what works best, and having the
best means having all options at hand.

Just a thought...

Longfellow

From: Alan Connor on
On comp.os.linux.misc, in <1132105571.611524.150710(a)g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "silicono2(a)yahoo.com" wrote:

Good topic. I run Linux from the commandline. No X at all.

And none of the other people posting here can say that. Not
even Chris.

But I don't help people who have so little commitment to the
Usenet they can't be bothered to learn to use a real newsreader
and don't even include a name in their From header, which
indicates a tendency to nymshift. And the address you are using
is a throwaway.

Besides, you are running Windoze and certainly couldn't follow
anything I'd have to say on the subject.

So have a day. Somewhere else.

You aren't wasting any more of my time, and I type at about
a hundred words per minute.

AC

--
URLs of possible interest in my headers.
From: silicono2 on
Hey hey hey...!
I might not be a UNIX user (yet) but I can follow the gist. And there's
no blaming me that my ISP isn't bothering with a news server so I have
to use google's simple but underpowered reader. Just because I ask a
lot of questions and I'm not expert doesn't mean I'm trolling--if any
flame wars ever start it's not my fault.

Seb

From: Michael Heiming on
In comp.os.linux.misc silicono2(a)yahoo.com:
> Hey hey hey...!
> I might not be a UNIX user (yet) but I can follow the gist. And there's
> no blaming me that my ISP isn't bothering with a news server so I have
> to use google's simple but underpowered reader. Just because I ask a
> lot of questions and I'm not expert doesn't mean I'm trolling--if any
> flame wars ever start it's not my fault.

Hi!

We don't know to whom or in which context you are talking, unless
you quote the article probably you are following up to.

Please read this before posting anything else:

http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google

Good luck

mail: echo zvpunry(a)urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 153: Big to little endian conversion error