From: rbwinn on
On Jul 24, 7:29 am, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 11:47 pm, rbwinn <rbwi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >         The most famous experiment regarding relativity of time
> > conducted in my lifetime was in 1958 when scientists put a cesium
> > clock in the nosecone of a Vanguard missile and then retrieved it
> > after the flight of the missile to compare it with an identical clock
> > kept on the ground.  They reported that the clock in the missile was
> > slower than the clock on the ground by exactly the amount predicted by
> > Einstein's theory of relativity.  Since that time we have a multitude
> > of similar experiments using satellites, etc., all with the same
> > reported results.
> >          The problem I see with this is that scientists used a set of
> > equations to represent relativity that require a length contraction.
> > Scientists who lived before 1887 such as Galileo and Newton would
> > probably have been able to solve the mathematics of this event
> > correctly if they had seen the experiment because they were using the
> > correct equations, the Galilean transformation equations, but with the
> > wrong interpretation of time.  Had they seen an experiment proving
> > that velocity affected the times on clocks, they would doubtlessly
> > have tried to incorporate this information into the equations they
> > were using instead of abandoning the Galilean transformation equations
> > altogether the way more modern scientists did when absolute time did
> > not describe the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment.
>
> Why do you think this is doubtlessly what they would have done?
>
> Just because YOU would have done it that way doesn't mean anyone else
> would have.
>
> I'm sure you've been told this about a great number of things in your
> life.

Everything Newton and Galileo did indicates that they both knew how to
do mathematics.
From: rbwinn on
On Jul 26, 7:15 am, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 24, 2:57 pm, rbwinn <rbwi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > And indeed, the same would be predicted by relativity in the case you
> > > mention!

> > > Which is different than what the Galilean transformations and
> > > Newtonian mechanics predicts.
> > > Newton was in fact quite emphatic that time was absolute and
> > > immutable, regardless of where it is measured.
>
> > > What happens to clocks in orbit actually agrees with relativity very
> > > well.

> > > How does he know his exact altitude, Robert?
>
> > There are a number of ways it could be done. To avoid confusion, maybe
> > we should have scientists on the ground tell him what it is.
>
> So, what you are suggesting is that rather than seeing if two
> different observers make actual measurements to see which set of
> transformations are correct, it's better if one observer just tells
> the other observer not to bother measuring at all, and just to take
> his word for it that the Galilean transformations are correct. Ah.
>
> > Are you saying that the satellite has a different altitude in the
> > frame of reference of the satellite than is observed from the ground?
>
> Yes, of course.

> > > Actually, you can. I'm shocked that you think it can't be done.
>
> > OK, make the calculation.  How do you get a faster speed for the
> > satellite using the Lorentz equations or General Relativity?  They
> > both say v is the same from either frame of reference.
>
> No, the Lorentz transforms and general relativity do NOT say v is the
> same from either frame of reference. That would be true for an
> inertial reference frame, but not for a satellite circling the earth.

> > > What on earth makes you say THAT, Robert?
>
> > v is the same from either frame of reference in Special or General
> > Relativity.
>
> No, only for inertial reference frames, Bobby.
> It would help if you would learn what special and general relativity
> actually say.

They say that velocity is the same from either frame of reference.
From: YBM on
rbwinn a �crit :
> On Jul 26, 7:15 am, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There are a number of ways it could be done. To avoid confusion, maybe
>>> we should have scientists on the ground tell him what it is.
>> So, what you are suggesting is that rather than seeing if two
>> different observers make actual measurements to see which set of
>> transformations are correct, it's better if one observer just tells
>> the other observer not to bother measuring at all, and just to take
>> his word for it that the Galilean transformations are correct. Ah.
>>
>>> Are you saying that the satellite has a different altitude in the
>>> frame of reference of the satellite than is observed from the ground?
>> Yes, of course.

>>> OK, make the calculation. How do you get a faster speed for the
>>> satellite using the Lorentz equations or General Relativity? They
>>> both say v is the same from either frame of reference.
>> No, the Lorentz transforms and general relativity do NOT say v is the
>> same from either frame of reference. That would be true for an
>> inertial reference frame, but not for a satellite circling the earth.

>>> v is the same from either frame of reference in Special or General
>>> Relativity.
>> No, only for inertial reference frames, Bobby.
>> It would help if you would learn what special and general relativity
>> actually say.
>>

> They say that velocity is the same from either frame of reference.

"They" didn't, you're lying as usual.

For instance I gave *you* a mathematical proof that relative speed
from either frame is the same, by using explicitely the fact that
both frames were inertial.

Isn't lying a sin, Robert?

From: BURT on
On Jul 29, 4:35 pm, YBM <ybm...(a)nooos.fr.invalid> wrote:
> rbwinn a écrit :

> >> So, what you are suggesting is that rather than seeing if two
> >> different observers make actual measurements to see which set of
> >> transformations are correct, it's better if one observer just tells
> >> the other observer not to bother measuring at all, and just to take
> >> his word for it that the Galilean transformations are correct. Ah.

> >> Yes, of course.

> >> No, the Lorentz transforms and general relativity do NOT say v is the
> >> same from either frame of reference. That would be true for an
> >> inertial reference frame, but not for a satellite circling the earth.

> >> No, only for inertial reference frames, Bobby.
> >> It would help if you would learn what special and general relativity
> >> actually say.
>
> > They say that velocity is the same from either frame of reference.
>
> "They" didn't, you're lying as usual.
>
> For instance I gave *you* a mathematical proof that relative speed
> from either frame is the same, by using explicitely the fact that
> both frames were inertial.
>
> Isn't lying a sin, Robert?- Hide quoted text -

When you begin to move you propel things through their space in the
opposite direction. It doesn't take energy to make other things move.

Mitch Raemsch
From: YBM on
BURT a �crit :
> When you begin to move you propel things through their space in the
> opposite direction. It doesn't take energy to make other things move.

Did anyone ask for one more of your useless and trivial comments,
Mitch?