From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-08-07 13:25:51 +0100, Woody said:

> Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>> Vivienne Dunstan <viv.dunstan(a)one-name.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Have you tried Calibre? It has a built-in ebook reader as well as
>>> conversion software, and will automatically handle ePubs.
>>
>> I've used it for converting to ePubs, but it feels a very clunky app
>> me. Thanks for the suggestion though.
>
> It does have a very clunky cross platform / java / gtk feel to it.
> Useful for certain things but nit the sort of app you want to spend time
> in

I ditched it recently. It didn't do anything that I needed that I
couldn't do in Sigil. Calibre also sprays junk in /usr/bin, with no
obvious way of cleaning them up. Yuck.
--
Chris

From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-08-07 16:56:57 +0100, Jon said:

> On 07/08/2010 10:37am, Jim wrote:
>> Opinions as to the best one? Stanza is kinda-sorta ok, but I feel like
>> I'm always fighting it somewhat. I can never _quite_ get it the way I
>> want it to look.
>>
>> What's the nearest thing to iBooks on the Mac itself?
>>
>> Must be able to read ePubs, which rules out the Kindle app. I think.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Adobe Digital Edition reads ePuns and is free
>
> http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

It is an Adobe program - is it slow, is it riddled with security
misfeatures, and does it have an annoying updater/installer?
--
Chris

From: Woody on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-08-07 13:25:51 +0100, Woody said:
>
> > Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> >> I've used it for converting to ePubs, but it feels a very clunky app
> >> me. Thanks for the suggestion though.
> >
> > It does have a very clunky cross platform / java / gtk feel to it.
> > Useful for certain things but nit the sort of app you want to spend time
> > in
>
> I ditched it recently. It didn't do anything that I needed that I
> couldn't do in Sigil. Calibre also sprays junk in /usr/bin, with no
> obvious way of cleaning them up. Yuck.

Yes, it isn't the nicest, but there are a few things it is good at that
is worth keeping it around for.

Sigil is the ePub creation tool isn't it?

Actually for pdf creation i use pdf rippers and an epub creator (could
use sigil I guess), as calibre is a bit complex at ripping them apart.
It can do everything, you just need to know how!

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-08-07 18:54:56 +0100, Woody said:

> Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

>>> It does have a very clunky cross platform / java / gtk feel to it.
>>> Useful for certain things but nit the sort of app you want to spend time
>>> in
>>
>> I ditched it recently. It didn't do anything that I needed that I
>> couldn't do in Sigil. Calibre also sprays junk in /usr/bin, with no
>> obvious way of cleaning them up. Yuck.
>
> Yes, it isn't the nicest, but there are a few things it is good at that
> is worth keeping it around for.
>
> Sigil is the ePub creation tool isn't it?

yes it is.

> Actually for pdf creation i use pdf rippers and an epub creator (could
> use sigil I guess), as calibre is a bit complex at ripping them apart.
> It can do everything, you just need to know how!

I managed to a better job at PDF->XHTML (for Sigil ePub) using, at
Jim's suggestion, pdftotext -layout from Xpdf. Everything else turned
every line into a paragraph, or every page into a single paragraph. Ick.

I hacked pdftotext slightly to know about italics (my source PDF had
lots of italics) and Bob's your uncle.
--
Chris

From: Woody on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-08-07 18:54:56 +0100, Woody said:
>
> > Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> >> I ditched it recently. It didn't do anything that I needed that I
> >> couldn't do in Sigil. Calibre also sprays junk in /usr/bin, with no
> >> obvious way of cleaning them up. Yuck.
> >
> > Yes, it isn't the nicest, but there are a few things it is good at that
> > is worth keeping it around for.
> >
> > Sigil is the ePub creation tool isn't it?
>
> yes it is.
>
> > Actually for pdf creation i use pdf rippers and an epub creator (could
> > use sigil I guess), as calibre is a bit complex at ripping them apart.
> > It can do everything, you just need to know how!
>
> I managed to a better job at PDF->XHTML (for Sigil ePub) using, at
> Jim's suggestion, pdftotext -layout from Xpdf. Everything else turned
> every line into a paragraph, or every page into a single paragraph. Ick.
>
> I hacked pdftotext slightly to know about italics (my source PDF had
> lots of italics) and Bob's your uncle.

Wouldn't pdftohtml been worth using?

--
Woody