From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Michael Dobony" <survey(a)stopassaultnow.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:24:49 -0500, gwatts wrote:
>
>> Michael Dobony wrote:

>>> 6 different cables are doing the same thing, including 3 premium new
>>> cables, Live wire Elite, Planet Waves (case shorted to ground), and
>>> Mogami
>>> Gold.
>>

>> Does the hum go away when the fluorescent lights are turned off? That
>> hasn't been stated. If so, maybe their ballasts are polluting the AC
>> line.
>
> Hum goes away when I turn the stage fluorescent light off. The rest of the
> multitude of lights do not affect it.

there is always a place to start
first I would pull the jack and examine the wiring, next I'd reduce the
system to speakers , amp(bypass everything, mixer, installed wiring, get to
a point where there are no variables) and a line source(cd player would
work) and add stuff to system until humm happens

From: liquidator on

"Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> You pathetic excuse for a BULLSHIT ARTIST !!!
>

> .... Phil

Best description of armi I have ever heard.

From: Phil Allison on

" Six fingered Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com>

>>> Mike Dope

>>> 6 different cables are doing the same thing, including 3 premium new
>>> cables, Live wire Elite, Planet Waves (case shorted to ground), and
>>> Mogami
>>> Gold.

> Btw, the shell of an xlr shouldn't be grounded to pin one.

** Except in the case of the female plug that goes into a microphone.

Cos otherwise the shell of the plug may not be earthed at all and hence
become a source of noise when a person touches it.

Buzzzzzzzzzz.............

...... Phil

From: Phil Allison on

"Michael Dobony"

>> DUHHHH! That's what I get for rushing. I looked at the stage sockets too
>> fast. Hot and ground are reversed!!! Resolder time!
>
> I just went down to rewire the connector and I see why I didn't catch it
> the first time. Everything is over 1 post. Hot is on 1, cold is on 2,
> ground is on 3.

** LOL - must be a bunch of old mic leads somewhere wired like that at the
male plug end.

So, with a correctly wired mic lead, the mics' signals were connected
between pins 2 and ground ( at the mixer input) while the mic cable shields
and mic bodies were wired to pin 3 - making them VERY sensitive to
capacitively coupled noise.

Amazing that it was quite usable like that with the fluoros off.

Would not have been the case with any light dimmers in the vicinity.

...... Phil

From: Krooburg Science on
On Dec 10, 4:32 pm, "Phil Allison" <phi...(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:
> " Six fingered Ron" <r...(a)lunevalleyaudio.com>

> > Btw, the shell of an xlr shouldn't be grounded to pin one.
>
> ** Except in the case of the female plug that goes into a microphone.
>
> Cos otherwise the shell of the plug may not be earthed at all and hence
> become a source of noise when a person touches it.
>
>  Buzzzzzzzzzz.............
>
> .....  Phil

Not that I've opened up every model of mic that their is, it seems
most have pin 1 bonded to the shell internally already. The SM57/58
would be one example of arguably the most common mics in the world.
I'd be interested to know of any that float the shell for future
reference though.

K.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7