From: Phil Allison on

"Krooburg Science"
"Phil Allison"
" Six fingered Ron" <r...(a)lunevalleyaudio.com>

> > Btw, the shell of an xlr shouldn't be grounded to pin one.
>
> ** Except in the case of the female plug that goes into a microphone.
>
> Cos otherwise the shell of the plug may not be earthed at all and hence
> become a source of noise when a person touches it.
>
> Buzzzzzzzzzz.............

Not that I've opened up every model of mic that their is, it seems
most have pin 1 bonded to the shell internally already.

** Of course - but that does NOT ground the XLR plug shell.

I think you misread the comment.

The SM57/58 would be one example of arguably the most common mics in the
world.

** And one of the WORST culprits for losing ground on its own case - cos
the case is only grounded by one tiny, reverse threaded screw that holds
the XLR insert in the handle. Any rust or corrosion on the mating surfaces
and there is no longer a ground connection.

I'd be interested to know of any that float the shell for future reference
though.

** The shell of the XLR plug can wind up floating (or intermittently
floating ) with nearly all mics.

That is WHY a shell ground terminal is provided in the female plug.

..... Phil

From: Arny Krueger on
"liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote in message

> "Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message

>> You pathetic excuse for a BULLSHIT ARTIST !!!

>> .... Phil

> Best description of armi I have ever heard.

Perfect examples of the sort of brainless bashing that keeps AAPLS from
being a first rate forum.

Getting back on topic, people seem to be missing the fact that all good
shielding and grounding is designed to be effective against all of the kinds
of EMI that are generally encountered, not just one kind of source. If your
guitar picks up noise from a nearby fluorescent fixture or wiring, there is
a general grounding and/or shielding problem. If you have grounding and/or
shielding problems, fixing them will be effective against a wide variety of
EMI sources.

The last time I had a fluorescent lighting situation, that correlated with
noise picked up by an electric bass, it turned out to be an electronically
balanced input on an ADA8000 that stopped being balanced. Moving the mic
cable from the DI box down one position and repatching the input fixed it
instantly.

From: Arny Krueger on
"Michael Dobony" <survey(a)stopassaultnow.net> wrote in
message news:ggt9jrr78zip.5eu8jjlm41so$.dlg(a)40tude.net

> DUHHHH! That's what I get for rushing. I looked at the
> stage sockets too fast. Hot and ground are reversed!!!
> Resolder time!

As predicted, it was a generalized grounding problem.

From: Ron on
Arny Krueger wrote:
> "liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote in message
>
>> "Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>> You pathetic excuse for a BULLSHIT ARTIST !!!
>
>>> .... Phil
>
>> Best description of armi I have ever heard.
>
> Perfect examples of the sort of brainless bashing that keeps AAPLS from
> being a first rate forum.
>
> Getting back on topic, people seem to be missing the fact that all good
> shielding and grounding is designed to be effective against all of the kinds
> of EMI that are generally encountered, not just one kind of source.

Not all pro gear does have well designed shielding tho.

If your
> guitar picks up noise from a nearby fluorescent fixture or wiring, there is
> a general grounding and/or shielding problem. If you have grounding and/or
> shielding problems, fixing them will be effective against a wide variety of
> EMI sources.

Certain guitars are renown for picking up stray field - Fender Strat for
example. there`s virtually no shielding around the pots and switch save
for a thin bit of foil, the pickups are single coil and unshielded. Just
standing close by your own amplifier will produce buzz. No amount of
tinkering with the grounding on the amp or guitar lead will fix that

From: Denny Strauser on
Michael Dobony wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:53:31 -0500, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
>
>> never use the female locking xlr's
>> I have dozens of snakes now, i started with locking connectors and soon
>> found what a PITA they are
>> the occasional connection coming lose is not nearly the hgeadache the
>> locking female xlr's cause
>> George
>
> Thanks for the info. Since they need rebuilding anyway I will look for
> non-locking XLR's.

What is even more of a pain is the push button breaking off of the XLR-F
connectors; then you need a tiny screwdriver to push the remaining
piece of the button down to pull out the male XLR.
If you can't find non-locking XLR jacks, you can remove the locking
button by loosening the tiny set-screw that holds the XLR insert in the
chassis mount, then remove the lock button. Now you'll have non-locking
XLR's.

-Denny
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7