From: Shawn E. Hale on
Thanks to you guys who replied with a wealth of advice and information. I
appreciate that and the patience you have taken.

There is a lot to work through but so far, in addition to what I already
listed, I did the things that were suggested in the Symantec site (re: safe
mode virus scanning, registry entry purging, etc.). I also ran the Panda
and Micro Trend online scans, safe mode virus scanning, system restore
purging and turning back on, deleting temp files, and checking the
downloaded applications folder. I also checked the running services and if
I could not identify something, I googled it to see what it was. Everything
was clean with no infected files and no bad services. I am leaning towards
believing that I had initially wiped it out and the latest Symantec
definitions caught an orphan. I was able to find a list of what was in the
Symantec definitions that were downloaded on 10/19 and there was a piece
that looked for the SVKP.sys file. Since I am not having any other slow
downs and issues, I think I have it beat. I will get to Mr. Lipman's advice
this weekend.

Thanks again.

> [...]
> |
> | Yesterday, 10/19/05, Norton Antivirus downloaded the latest definitions
and
> | I came home to find this pop-up warning from Norton (no one had been on
the
> | computer all day and it was fine when I left in the morning):
> |
> | Virus scanner, Hacktool.rootkit, Quarantined file, Virus Source:
> | C:\windows\system32\svkp.sys. (A related registry key was also
removed).
> | The virus definitions date that found this problem was 10/19/05.
> |
> | I did some more research and found that SVKP.sys may be a legitimate
file,
> | or it may not (depending on the source). There were registry entries
for
> | Legacy_SVKP which I deleted. Rebooted several times, ran Norton full
virus
> | scan a few times, no problems or error messages.
> |
> | Here are my questions/concerns:
> |
> | In the original Norton message about msdirectx, what does it actually
mean
> | "repair failed" and "access denied." Is that a good thing that Norton
> | stopped it or is it a bad thing that Norton didn't catch it in time?
> |
> | Would I be correct in assuming that the new virus definitions downloaded
on
> | 10/19 simply found a remnant of the original hacktool.rootkit and
scrubbed
> | it out OR is this thing still in my system and somehow regenerating
itself?

> | If it is regenerating itself, should I really be too concerned or is it
more
> | of an annoyance? We have the XP firewall running and WEP encryption on
our
> | home wifi network.
> |
> | I don't want to go thru the process of re-formatting and re-installing
if I
> | don't have to. I guess I am looking for confirmation of my suspicion
that
> | the new anti-virus definitions took out a remnant/orphan of the original
> | problem and that since I am having no other problems (before or now
after),
> | I am OK. Am I just wishful thinking?
> |
> | Thanks for any advice.
> |

> Shawn:
>
> Please excute; %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc
>
> Then examine *all* services. Look for NON Microsoft services with oddball
names.
> Lsets say that you find a service called; meaoi
>
> Use the Resource Kit utility, DELSRV.EXE, and execute; delsrv meaoi
> Reboot and then scan the system using the following Multi AV scanning
tool.

> I posted the DELSERV.EXE utility in a ZIP file...
>
> Post Subject: DELSRV for Hacktool.Rootkit
> Posted in: alt.binaries.comp.virus
>

> Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
> http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Multi_AV.exe
>
> It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script
Interpreter {
> http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } 4 batch files, 6 Kixtart scripts,
one Link
> (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and
WGET.EXE. It will
> simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend, Kasperski and McAfee Anti
Virus Command
> Line Scanners to remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.
>
> C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS}
> This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in
Normal Mode.
> This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web
site.
> The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and
Reboot the PC.

> You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files
or you can
> download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have
downloaded the files
> needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into
Safe Mode [F8 key
> during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you want
to run in Safe
> Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal
Mode.

From: Panda_man on
Yeah,I think you have it beaten !
My congratulations !!!

Panda_man

From: Scherbina Vladimir on
In addition to "what is a rootkit".

There is an interesting article where author explains how to create rootkits
and how to detect them,
http://www.security.org.sg/code/SIG2_DefeatingNativeAPIHookers.pdf
The problem is that rootkit usually implemented as a driver, that hooks
windows api in kernel mode.
You may think that you've deleted some "bad" file, or registry value, but
actually not - driver just hooked CreateFile(A,W), RegCreateKey(Ex),
RegOpenKey(Ex) and returnes invalid values for a "needed" file, registry
value.

Another problem is that removing rootkit is unsafe operation. One may write
a driver that should restore Service Dispatch Table, or perform restoring in
user mode using \device\physicalmemory.

There are no guranties that all will be removed successfully, so you need
cross you fingers and hope everything will be ok, and OS would not fall into
bluse screen of death.

--
Scherbina Vladimir.

From: Jeremy Pollard on
Standard antivirus software packages such as Norton and McAfee are
unable to find many types of rootkit, because of the way rootkits work.

Rootkit revealer works differently to these antivirus packages and is
much more likely to find this type of malware. Its freeware and is one
of the only tools that can detect the types of rootkits which standard
antivirus software cannot.

It may be worth running rootkit revealer, just to check whether your
antivirus software has missed anything. Here's the link:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html

From: Shawn E. Hale on
I sure do appreciate all of the advice I have been getting. Thanks to all
for your time generosity.

I ran the RootkitRevealer and, thank God, only got one hit. The date stamp
is from the day we got the computer (or real close to it). Google tells me
it is not a problem. Here is the message:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\webcal\URL Protocol 9/7/2005 12:24 PM 13 bytes Data
mismatch between Windows API and raw hive data.

Many thanks again. I will keep monitoring it. Still no other errors or
problems.

"Jeremy Pollard" <jeremy.pollard(a)uwe.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Standard antivirus software packages such as Norton and McAfee are
> unable to find many types of rootkit, because of the way rootkits work.
>
> Rootkit revealer works differently to these antivirus packages and is
> much more likely to find this type of malware. Its freeware and is one
> of the only tools that can detect the types of rootkits which standard
> antivirus software cannot.
>
> It may be worth running rootkit revealer, just to check whether your
> antivirus software has missed anything. Here's the link:
>
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: HotPOP.com infected