From: cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) on
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:12:47 GMT, Jeremy Pollard
<jeremy.pollard(a)uwe.ac.uk> wrote:

>Standard antivirus software packages such as Norton and McAfee are
>unable to find many types of rootkit, because of the way rootkits work.

Also because the way these antivirus programs work - they are running
from within the infected code base, so there's a limit to how
effective they can be expected to be.

>Rootkit revealer works differently to these antivirus packages and is
>much more likely to find this type of malware. Its freeware and is one
>of the only tools that can detect the types of rootkits which standard
>antivirus software cannot.

There's also F-Secure's Blacklight Beta, which is easier to use and
more of an editorializing scanner (either "you have a rootkit" or "you
do not have a rootkit") whereas RKR is more like hiJackThis; it simply
lists the anomaties it finds, and it's up to you to decide how you
intend to interpret the results and proceed from there.

Once rootkits are not running, they become just another file (or
collection of files) that the scanner can examine. So another
approach to rootkits is to us antivirus scanners that are run from an
uninfected OS, such as a Bart CDR boot.

>It may be worth running rootkit revealer, just to check whether your
>antivirus software has missed anything. Here's the link:

>http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html

So far, I've not seen rootkits found by RKR or Blacklight, though I've
seen plenty of malware named "rootkit" this and "rootkit" that when
formally scanning (i.e. running av scanners from non-HD boot).

The general rule:
- run "static" file scanners and integration checkers formally
- run "live" behavior checkers from within the infected OS

Scanners like antivirus, AdAware etc. and integration checkers like
HiJackThis fall into the first category, and rootkit detectors and
process watchers fall into the second. It can be hard do determine
which category some tools fall into, such as service listers; are they
listing "live" services, or enumerations from CurrentControlSet etc.?

Also, anything that reads the registry or other settings files, has to
know to look to the inactive settings files on the HD, and not the
"live" ones in effect, if you are running these tools formally (i.e.
without booting any infected code off the HD) - otherwise they will be
operating on the wrong material, and will be misleading.

See...

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

....and...

http://www.paraglidernc.com/RunScanner.html

....on building a bootable maintenance OS (Bart PE Builder), and
equipping this OS with support for "transparent" access to inactive HD
registry hives (RunScanner plugin for Bart), respectively.

Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...
From: easyone on
I've found after Norton Update 19/10/05, when I try to open Tweak XP
with Norton enabled , it stops me with a High Risk Virus warning - 'The
file C:\wimdows\system32\SVKP.sys is infected with the Hacktool.Rootkit
virus'. When Norton is disabled I can open Tweak File Shredder without
the virus warning.

Looked on the internet to see what SVKP is. It is SVK Protector a
security software used by others legitimately.

I've got a feeling the SVKP files are used by Tweak as with other
software. Norton recognizes the SVKP.sys file and assumes it is a
virus. When I uninstalled Tweak the SVKP file on my computer
dissapperared and OK. Then on reinstalling it appears.

My computer is running allright from what I see.

If this is the case hopefully it relieves others and myself of the
worry of the Hacktool.rootkit virus.

Much appreciate if others could comment.

Tony

From: Shawn E. Hale on
Interesting but I am not seeing that here. I read conflicting info on that
SVKP.sys file - sometimes it is good and sometimes not. I am using TweakUI
2.10 for XP on 3 computers (including the one that had the original problem
that started this thread). The others did not have any SVKP files or
registry entries - only the one with the reported problem. I removed the
SVKP.sys file and registry entries on the original computer and Tweak runs
fine on it still. I am not using the File Shredder Tweak though. I am
pretty sure though that the definitions in that 10/19 Norton download is the
problem though. If you look at what was added in that definition package,
there is a reference to SVKP.sys in the W32.loxbot.A description.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Shawn E. Hale" <SEHaleNOSPAM1(a)comcast.net>

| Interesting but I am not seeing that here. I read conflicting info on that
| SVKP.sys file - sometimes it is good and sometimes not. I am using TweakUI
| 2.10 for XP on 3 computers (including the one that had the original problem
| that started this thread). The others did not have any SVKP files or
| registry entries - only the one with the reported problem. I removed the
| SVKP.sys file and registry entries on the original computer and Tweak runs
| fine on it still. I am not using the File Shredder Tweak though. I am
| pretty sure though that the definitions in that 10/19 Norton download is the
| problem though. If you look at what was added in that definition package,
| there is a reference to SVKP.sys in the W32.loxbot.A description.

That's right. One can NOT simply go by a file name. It is often the objective to use the
name of a legitimate file to obfuscate the its malicious purpose.

Please submit a sample of any suspicious file to Virus Total --
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
The submission will then be tested against many different AV vendor's scanners.
That will give you an idea what it is and who recognizes it. In addition, unless told
otherwise, Virus Total will provide the sample to all participating vendors.

When you get the report, please post back the exact results.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: easyone on

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Shawn E. Hale" <SEHaleNOSPAM1(a)comcast.net>
>
> | Interesting but I am not seeing that here. I read conflicting info on that
> | SVKP.sys file - sometimes it is good and sometimes not. I am using TweakUI
> | 2.10 for XP on 3 computers (including the one that had the original problem
> | that started this thread). The others did not have any SVKP files or
> | registry entries - only the one with the reported problem. I removed the
> | SVKP.sys file and registry entries on the original computer and Tweak runs
> | fine on it still. I am not using the File Shredder Tweak though. I am
> | pretty sure though that the definitions in that 10/19 Norton download is the
> | problem though. If you look at what was added in that definition package,
> | there is a reference to SVKP.sys in the W32.loxbot.A description.
>
> That's right. One can NOT simply go by a file name. It is often the objective to use the
> name of a legitimate file to obfuscate the its malicious purpose.
>

> Please submit a sample of any suspicious file to Virus Total --
> http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
> The submission will then be tested against many different AV vendor's scanners.
> That will give you an idea what it is and who recognizes it. In addition, unless told
> otherwise, Virus Total will provide the sample to all participating vendors.
>
> When you get the report, please post back the exact results.
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

David

Thanks for your suggestion of Virus Total - their reply below:

Results of a file scan
This is a report processed by VirusTotal on 10/23/2005 at 17:01:44
(CET) after scanning the file "SVKP.sys.zip" file.
Antivirus Version Update Result
AntiVir 6.32.0.6 10.22.2005 no virus found
Avast 4.6.695.0 10.21.2005 no virus found
AVG 718 10.21.2005 no virus found
Avira 6.32.0.6 10.22.2005 no virus found
BitDefender 7.2 10.22.2005 no virus found
CAT-QuickHeal 8.00 10.22.2005 no virus found
ClamAV devel-20050917 10.21.2005 no virus found
DrWeb 4.32b 10.23.2005 no virus found
eTrust-Iris 7.1.194.0 10.23.2005 no virus found
eTrust-Vet 11.9.1.0 10.21.2005 no virus found
Fortinet 2.48.0.0 10.22.2005 no virus found
F-Prot 3.16c 10.20.2005 no virus found
Ikarus 0.2.59.0 10.21.2005 no virus found
Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 10.23.2005 no virus found
McAfee 4610 10.21.2005 no virus found
NOD32v2 1.1263 10.21.2005 no virus found
Norman 5.70.10 10.21.2005 no virus found
Panda 8.02.00 10.23.2005 no virus found
Sophos 3.98.0 10.22.2005 no virus found
Symantec 8.0 10.22.2005 no virus found
TheHacker 5.8.4.127 10.21.2005 no virus found
VBA32 3.10.4 10.23.2005 Virtool.SVKProtector

Hope some help.

Grateful if you would advice what I should do with VBA32

Thanks a lot

Tony

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7