From: cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) on
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:35:47 -0400, "Shawn E. Hale"

>I read conflicting info on that SVKP.sys file - sometimes it is good
>and sometimes not. I am using TweakUI 2.10 for XP on 3
>computers (including the one that had the original problem
>that started this thread). The others did not have any SVKP files or
>registry entries - only the one with the reported problem. I removed the
>SVKP.sys file and registry entries on the original computer and Tweak runs
>fine on it still. I am not using the File Shredder Tweak though.

There are some sites that will scan files submitted for assessment (as
opposed to dropping a bot on your PC to scan yout whole PC online,
which isn't such a good idea IMO). Why not submit the SVKP.sys file
for assessment, after first checking to see if it has an ADS attached?

The "ADS" bit is because ADSare NTFS-specific, and may be left behind
when you submit the file. A hostile ADS attached to a legit file will
generally be reported as the legit file by firewalls, Task Manager
etc. and is something you want to know about.

ADS malware's not rare anymore - I had 100 to 200 of the blighters of
the NTFS-afflicted laptop I'm cleaning up at the moment.

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Tech Support: The guys who follow the
'Parade of New Products' with a shovel.
From: Shawn E. Hale on
CORRECTION: I have just realized that Tweak XP is NOT the same as Tweak UI
(what I was referring to) and I am seeing that other people are seeing
similar results as you when using Tweak XP. My apologies.

From: easyone on

Cquirke

Thankyou for your additional comment to those of David Lipman (his were
very helpful) re ADS.

Reports from submitting the SVKP.sys file were clean. However ADS is
new to me, and I had sent the SVKP file without checking for ADS.

Grateful if you would tell me briefly what ADS is and how I should
check the SVKP file for it.

Tony

Shawn

Thanks for letting us/myself know others have come across the same
thing re Tweak XP. Mind you I will if I find out how, check ADS.

Tony

From: cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) on
On 24 Oct 2005 13:50:24 -0700, easyone(a)onetel.com wrote:
>Cquirke

Hi!

>Grateful if you would tell me briefly what ADS is and how I should
>check the SVKP file for it.

ADS have several consequences that attract malware interest:
- they exist only on NTFS file systems
- they are likely lost when transferring files to non-NTFS
- Windows Explorer etc. never show ADS as files etc.
- av and anti-cm scanners may not scan ADS
- non-native OSs hosting formal scanners may miss ADS
- code running in an ADS is "seen" as the original file
- it's fairly easy to programatically create and write to ADS

So in essence, you have something that scanners tend to miss, that's
never visible in Windows shell (Explorer), that can hide code that
when running will appear (to Task Manager, ?firewall) as the host file
process, and that may be left out of malware sample submissions.

What's not to like? Only that as at October 2005, there's no way I
know of whereby code in an ADS can be run without being explicitly
called via other (non-ADS) code or some integration point - which
means that scanners can find the points from which the ADS code is
run. This is the strand on which ADS malware management hangs.

ADS = Alternate Data Streams. In the NTFS file system, the data
within a file is in the default "stream" of that file, and is
referenced transparently when that file is accessed.

It's possible to add non-default (alternate) streams that can be
accessed via syntax like this...

C:\Some\Path\SomeName..txt:NameOfStream

....which can have interesting wrinkles when the parent file is called
"A"with no file name extension.

There's no extra directory entry for an ADS, which is why the shell
doesn't show them. You have to know what the ADS is called, to access
it via the above syntax. The actual contents of the ADS are appended
to the default stream's cluster chain.

Because there's no directory entry for the ADS content, there's no
file name extension or file association limitations, no date stamps,
etc. AFAIK material in ADS is not added in when you select files and
do a Properties to see the size and disk space used - that's why when
I see "where's my HD capacity going??" posts, I'm inclined to wonder
about ADS use. You could hide an FTP server full of stuff in ADS.

ADS is (or should I say "may be") preserved when copying from one NTFS
volume to another, including AFAIK via network. Some NTFS-aware
archivers may include them, but how this will be extracted to a
non-NTFS file system is anyone's guess.

The reason why ADS were added to NTFS was to cope with the Mac OS file
system practice of storing "related information" within an extra
"fork" of a file's contents. NTFS natively prefers to store such info
as metadata within the extended directory entry attributes, but the OS
does use ADS natively, e.g. for thumbnails of graphic files.

Applications can use ADS too, e.g. Office may store document summary
info there, and some antivirus scanners store integrity information
within an ADS attached to each code file.

My preferred way of managing ADS is to use FATxx instead, which is
practical only if you don't need any NTFS features, and if you are
using current Windows that still supports FATxx. Using FATxx instead
of NTFS kills the ADS problem stone dead.

>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -
I'm baaaack!
From: easyone on
cquirke

Thankyou so much for your detailed explanation of ADS, though I must
admit I only understand the jist, as the technical detail is beyond me.

Luckily I have A FAT formatted computer - what a relief.

ADS's sound scarey.

Norton is continuing to warn of the Hacktool.Rootkit virus in the
SVKP.sys file. Thankfully to David Lipman and yourself I am wiser and I
think I can ignore it. I'll wait a bit to see if Norton adjusts its
scan for virus. I can always remove Tweak XP which will take away the
SVKP.sys file.

Tony

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7