From: Arfa Daily on

"Amanda Ripanykhazov" <dmanzaluni(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 26, 4:11 am, "Arfa Daily" <arfa.da...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> "Amanda Ripanykhazov" <dmanzal...(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message

>> > Yeah, switching one speaker pretty much solved that one.
>>
>> What, solved it as in proved that the amplifier *was* the cause, or
>> solved
>> it as in it wasn't ?
>>
>> Arfa- Hide quoted text -

> When I took out the speaker and put in another one, the hissing sound
> stopped? When I put the speaker in again, the hissing sound started
> again

I don't suppose that you are just comparing apples and oranges here, are you
? All amplifiers hiss to some degree - generally, although not always,
semiconductor ones more so than tube ones. It's not unusual for one channel
to be a little noisier than the other, so you might hear it more on one side
than the other. If you swap a different speaker onto the hissy channel, the
one that you are swapping in, might not have as good a frequency response as
the one you are taking off, so you might not hear the hiss, and think that
you've cured a problem that's not really there in the first place. I guess
you could also have a defective tweeter or crossover in the speaker that you
*think* is good, because it doesn't hiss, when in fact it is actually bad,
because it's not managing to reproduce the hiss that is a characteristic of
the amp, whereas the other one that you think is bad *is* reproducing it.

If you see what I mean ...

Can you hear hiss in headphones plugged into it ? If so, is it equal between
channels. Does it change depending on what input you have selected on the
amp ? Have you tried swapping the speakers that are always connected to the
system, between channels, rather than swapping in different speakers of
possibly unknown condition and specification. One thing at a time, is the
way forward with this sort of 'problem'

Arfa

From: GregS on
In article <7b33e37c-d03a-4938-aa3a-761ada39d91e(a)5g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>, Amanda Ripanykhazov <dmanzaluni(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>On Jul 26, 4:11=A0am, "Arfa Daily" <arfa.da...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> "Amanda Ripanykhazov" <dmanzal...(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message

>ne
>is

>ls

>le
>ty

>er

>d the
>-

>> > Yeah, switching one speaker pretty much solved that one.
>>
>> What, solved it as in proved that the amplifier *was* the cause, or solve=
>> it as in it wasn't ?
>>
>> Arfa- Hide quoted text -

>When I took out the speaker and put in another one, the hissing sound
>stopped? When I put the speaker in again, the hissing sound started
>again

I don't know if my question was ever answered. Where is the hissing
comming from ? Behind speakers means behind the box.

If you can't tell from listening, use a piece of tubing to get location.
You can get it down to less than an inch.

greg
From: Amanda Ripanykhazov on
On Jul 29, 12:43 pm, zekfr...(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:
> In article <7b33e37c-d03a-4938-aa3a-761ada39d...(a)5g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>, Amanda Ripanykhazov <dmanzal...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> >On Jul 26, 4:11=A0am, "Arfa Daily" <arfa.da...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >> "Amanda Ripanykhazov" <dmanzal...(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message

> >ne
> >is

> >ls

> >le
> >ty

> >er

> >d the
> >-

> >> What, solved it as in proved that the amplifier *was* the cause, or solve=
> >> it as in it wasn't ?
>
> >> Arfa- Hide quoted text -

> >When I took out the speaker and put in another one, the hissing sound
> >stopped? When I put the speaker  in again, the hissing sound started
> >again
>
> I don't know if my question was ever answered. Where is the hissing
> comming from ? Behind speakers means behind the box.
>
> If you can't tell from listening, use a piece of tubing to get location.
> You can get it down to less than an inch.
>
> greg- Hide quoted text -

I thought I made this point in the second posting by saying what I did
to try to trace it by pushing in the woofer (you cant push in a
tweeter that easily), the sound is coming from behind the woofer.
From: Arfa Daily on

> On Jul 29, 12:43 pm, zekfr...(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:
>> In article
>> <7b33e37c-d03a-4938-aa3a-761ada39d...(a)5g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>, Amanda
>> Ripanykhazov <dmanzal...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>> >ne
>> >is

>> >ls

>> >le
>> >ty

>> >er

>> >d the
>> >-

>> >When I took out the speaker and put in another one, the hissing sound
>> >stopped? When I put the speaker in again, the hissing sound started
>> >again
>>
>> I don't know if my question was ever answered. Where is the hissing
>> comming from ? Behind speakers means behind the box.
>>
>> If you can't tell from listening, use a piece of tubing to get location.
>> You can get it down to less than an inch.
>>
>> greg- Hide quoted text -

> I thought I made this point in the second posting by saying what I did
> to try to trace it by pushing in the woofer (you cant push in a
> tweeter that easily), the sound is coming from behind the woofer.

I'm thinking now that this is a windup. Looking at the the account that this
has come from.

dmanzaluni ?

Yes, I think that's maybe true ...

Arfa

From: Meat Plow on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:05:54 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

>> I thought I made this point in the second posting by saying what I did
>> to try to trace it by pushing in the woofer (you cant push in a tweeter
>> that easily), the sound is coming from behind the woofer.
>
> I'm thinking now that this is a windup. Looking at the the account that
> this has come from.
>
> dmanzaluni ?
>
> Yes, I think that's maybe true ...
>
> Arfa

My reply to the original post was something like "check to see if there
is a snake behind the speaker."