From: Meat Plow on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:21:24 -0500, Chuck wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:30:48 -0700 (PDT), Amanda Ripanykhazov
> <dmanzaluni(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyone know what this means? This hissing sound isnt constant, it is
>>irregular: It isnt related to the music or any movement of the cone or
>>any signal put through it, though it doesnt happen when no sound is put
>>through the speaker.
>>
>>Frankly it sounds more mechancial than electronic (as if there is
>>something behind there!) but as I say, it isnt related to whatever is
>>coming through the speaker though it does increase and decrease with
>>adjustment of the volume control. Andit is louder than most signals put
>>through the woofer itself??
>>
>>Is it indicative of some pot in the crossover needing cleaning or is
>>there something else going on please? (I have seen reference to people
>>improving the sound of AR11s by bypassing the tone controls in the
>>speaker completely). This speaker is quite elderly and I would imagine
>>that if it does use mechanical pots, they must be fairly dirty by now
>

> I once lived in an old mansion that had been converted into an apartment
> building where one of my KLH 32 speakers was mounted by the main
> electrical entrance for the building. There sometimes was a soft noise
> from the tweeter without the amplifier being on. Later on we discovered
> that the owner of the building had replaced one of the cartridge fuses
> in series with the hot 120 AC in with a piece of copper pipe that was
> arcing at the fuse clips. I know this sounds apocryphal but I spent 32
> years in the consumer audio field as a technician, and service and store
> manager so you can be reasonably sure, in this case, that I'm not a
> troll . Chuck

An old friend used to live within a hundred feet of a radio station. He
swears that on one occasion he could hear programming coming from a
filling in one of his molars.
From: William Sommerwerck on
> The tweeter, capacitor and woofer are all effectively
> in series as a loop in the speaker box...

Duh. I should surrender my BSEE.

From: Arfa Daily on

"Meat Plow" <mhywatt(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:21:24 -0500, Chuck wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:30:48 -0700 (PDT), Amanda Ripanykhazov
>> <dmanzaluni(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone know what this means? This hissing sound isnt constant, it is
>>>irregular: It isnt related to the music or any movement of the cone or
>>>any signal put through it, though it doesnt happen when no sound is put
>>>through the speaker.
>>>
>>>Frankly it sounds more mechancial than electronic (as if there is
>>>something behind there!) but as I say, it isnt related to whatever is
>>>coming through the speaker though it does increase and decrease with
>>>adjustment of the volume control. Andit is louder than most signals put
>>>through the woofer itself??
>>>
>>>Is it indicative of some pot in the crossover needing cleaning or is
>>>there something else going on please? (I have seen reference to people
>>>improving the sound of AR11s by bypassing the tone controls in the
>>>speaker completely). This speaker is quite elderly and I would imagine
>>>that if it does use mechanical pots, they must be fairly dirty by now
>>

>> I once lived in an old mansion that had been converted into an apartment
>> building where one of my KLH 32 speakers was mounted by the main
>> electrical entrance for the building. There sometimes was a soft noise
>> from the tweeter without the amplifier being on. Later on we discovered
>> that the owner of the building had replaced one of the cartridge fuses
>> in series with the hot 120 AC in with a piece of copper pipe that was
>> arcing at the fuse clips. I know this sounds apocryphal but I spent 32
>> years in the consumer audio field as a technician, and service and store
>> manager so you can be reasonably sure, in this case, that I'm not a
>> troll . Chuck
>
> An old friend used to live within a hundred feet of a radio station. He
> swears that on one occasion he could hear programming coming from a
> filling in one of his molars.

This is quite common. The BBC used to operated a long wave transmitter in
the county where I live. It was 200kW during the daylight hours, and 470kW
at night. There were always reports in the local newspaper of people
experiencing oddball reception events, and picking up radio 'in your head'
was a regular one. Apparently, it happens more when fillings are new, and
the oxide layers or what have you, are still building. Supposedly, the
filling acts as a simple diode detector, and if the field strength is high
enough, actually 'rattles' mechanically. The vibration from this passes out
of the tooth and up the jawbone into the skull, where it is picked up
directly by the ears. I have also seen the phenomenon explained as the
detected audio voltage passing out of the tooth, and directly stimulating
nerves that are part of the hearing centre. I suppose that's possible, but
it sounds less likely to me, than the first explanation.

Another few favourites for 'ghost' reception near this transmitter, were
electric cookers, stereo systems that were turned off, and mattress springs
!!

Arfa

From: Meat Plow on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 01:18:22 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <mhywatt(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:21:24 -0500, Chuck wrote:

>>> I once lived in an old mansion that had been converted into an
>>> apartment building where one of my KLH 32 speakers was mounted by the
>>> main electrical entrance for the building. There sometimes was a soft
>>> noise from the tweeter without the amplifier being on. Later on we
>>> discovered that the owner of the building had replaced one of the
>>> cartridge fuses in series with the hot 120 AC in with a piece of
>>> copper pipe that was arcing at the fuse clips. I know this sounds
>>> apocryphal but I spent 32 years in the consumer audio field as a
>>> technician, and service and store manager so you can be reasonably
>>> sure, in this case, that I'm not a troll . Chuck
>>
>> An old friend used to live within a hundred feet of a radio station. He
>> swears that on one occasion he could hear programming coming from a
>> filling in one of his molars.
>
> This is quite common. The BBC used to operated a long wave transmitter
> in the county where I live. It was 200kW during the daylight hours, and
> 470kW at night. There were always reports in the local newspaper of
> people experiencing oddball reception events, and picking up radio 'in
> your head' was a regular one. Apparently, it happens more when fillings
> are new, and the oxide layers or what have you, are still building.
> Supposedly, the filling acts as a simple diode detector, and if the
> field strength is high enough, actually 'rattles' mechanically. The
> vibration from this passes out of the tooth and up the jawbone into the
> skull, where it is picked up directly by the ears. I have also seen the
> phenomenon explained as the detected audio voltage passing out of the
> tooth, and directly stimulating nerves that are part of the hearing
> centre. I suppose that's possible, but it sounds less likely to me, than
> the first explanation.
>
> Another few favourites for 'ghost' reception near this transmitter, were
> electric cookers, stereo systems that were turned off, and mattress
> springs !!
>
> Arfa

So Amanda may live near a 500kw transmitter that plays wildlife sounds.
That would explain the snake hissing behind her speaker.

--
This is a test sig
From: Michael A. Terrell on

Arfa Daily wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <mhywatt(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:21:24 -0500, Chuck wrote:

> >> I once lived in an old mansion that had been converted into an apartment
> >> building where one of my KLH 32 speakers was mounted by the main
> >> electrical entrance for the building. There sometimes was a soft noise
> >> from the tweeter without the amplifier being on. Later on we discovered
> >> that the owner of the building had replaced one of the cartridge fuses
> >> in series with the hot 120 AC in with a piece of copper pipe that was
> >> arcing at the fuse clips. I know this sounds apocryphal but I spent 32
> >> years in the consumer audio field as a technician, and service and store
> >> manager so you can be reasonably sure, in this case, that I'm not a
> >> troll . Chuck
> >
> > An old friend used to live within a hundred feet of a radio station. He
> > swears that on one occasion he could hear programming coming from a
> > filling in one of his molars.
>
> This is quite common. The BBC used to operated a long wave transmitter in
> the county where I live. It was 200kW during the daylight hours, and 470kW
> at night. There were always reports in the local newspaper of people
> experiencing oddball reception events, and picking up radio 'in your head'
> was a regular one. Apparently, it happens more when fillings are new, and
> the oxide layers or what have you, are still building. Supposedly, the
> filling acts as a simple diode detector, and if the field strength is high
> enough, actually 'rattles' mechanically. The vibration from this passes out
> of the tooth and up the jawbone into the skull, where it is picked up
> directly by the ears. I have also seen the phenomenon explained as the
> detected audio voltage passing out of the tooth, and directly stimulating
> nerves that are part of the hearing centre. I suppose that's possible, but
> it sounds less likely to me, than the first explanation.
>
> Another few favourites for 'ghost' reception near this transmitter, were
> electric cookers, stereo systems that were turned off, and mattress springs
> !!

WLW in Cincinnati, Ohio used to run 500 KW on 700 KHz under an
experimental license. Local farmers reported talking and singing fence
wire or a few miles from their tower.

http://hawkins.pair.com/wlw.shtml has some photos and a description,
along with a simplified schematic of the beast. It also has one of the
few remaining Blaw-Knox diamond towers.

WSM in Nashville has another Blaw-Knox tower. http://www.wsmonline.com