From: Amanda Ripanykhazov on
Anyone know what this means? This hissing sound isnt constant, it is
irregular: It isnt related to the music or any movement of the cone
or any signal put through it, though it doesnt happen when no sound is
put through the speaker.

Frankly it sounds more mechancial than electronic (as if there is
something behind there!) but as I say, it isnt related to whatever is
coming through the speaker though it does increase and decrease with
adjustment of the volume control. Andit is louder than most signals
put through the woofer itself??

Is it indicative of some pot in the crossover needing cleaning or is
there something else going on please? (I have seen reference to people
improving the sound of AR11s by bypassing the tone controls in the
speaker completely). This speaker is quite elderly and I would
imagine that if it does use mechanical pots, they must be fairly dirty
by now
From: GregS on
In article <fe92a44c-5b5f-4e6d-aa00-d46fe01e48b8(a)s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, Amanda Ripanykhazov <dmanzaluni(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>Anyone know what this means? This hissing sound isnt constant, it is
>irregular: It isnt related to the music or any movement of the cone
>or any signal put through it, though it doesnt happen when no sound is
>put through the speaker.
>
>Frankly it sounds more mechancial than electronic (as if there is
>something behind there!) but as I say, it isnt related to whatever is
>coming through the speaker though it does increase and decrease with
>adjustment of the volume control. Andit is louder than most signals
>put through the woofer itself??
>
>Is it indicative of some pot in the crossover needing cleaning or is
>there something else going on please? (I have seen reference to people
>improving the sound of AR11s by bypassing the tone controls in the
>speaker completely). This speaker is quite elderly and I would
>imagine that if it does use mechanical pots, they must be fairly dirty
>by now

Looks like a closed box and my first thought is an leak. Don't understand"behind woofer"
Inside ?? Outside ?? Or sounds like behind woofer from the front.

I would troubleshoot a woofer with low frequency test tones, without
any high frequencies being generated. I used to do a quick test with AM radio.

Changing frequency will likely change the sound. Get close, feel around.
Can't tell from your description, but could be the woofer itself making
mechanical surround, voice coil, or suspension sounds.

greg
From: William Sommerwerck on
If the AR11 were a ducted-port speaker (I don't think it is), it would
likely be the "port noise complaint" (OUCH!), with air "rushing" or
"whistling" through the port.

It's hard to believe the sound /is/ coming from the speaker when you say "it
isn't related to the music or any movement of the cone or any signal put
through it". Speakers are passive, and do not produce sounds on their own --
other than, perhaps, loud crashing/breaking noises when they're knocked off
a shelf.

From: Meat Plow on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:30:48 -0700, Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:

> Anyone know what this means? This hissing sound isnt constant, it is
> irregular: It isnt related to the music or any movement of the cone or
> any signal put through it, though it doesnt happen when no sound is put
> through the speaker.
>
> Frankly it sounds more mechancial than electronic (as if there is
> something behind there!) but as I say, it isnt related to whatever is
> coming through the speaker though it does increase and decrease with
> adjustment of the volume control. Andit is louder than most signals put
> through the woofer itself??
>
> Is it indicative of some pot in the crossover needing cleaning or is
> there something else going on please? (I have seen reference to people
> improving the sound of AR11s by bypassing the tone controls in the
> speaker completely). This speaker is quite elderly and I would imagine
> that if it does use mechanical pots, they must be fairly dirty by now

Make sure a snake hasn't crawled behind the speaker.
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:57:56 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
<mhywatt(a)yahoo.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Make sure a snake hasn't crawled behind the speaker.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/58/201963991_64a75623ae.jpg

- Franc Zabkar