From: Meat Plow on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 08:04:14 -0700, Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:

> On Jul 30, 5:41 pm, Meat Plow <mhyw...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:03:39 -0700, Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
>> > Thank you for your confidence everyone: If I wanted to wind everyone
>> > up, dont you think I would have found a funnier way of doing it than
>> > this?
>>
>> Not if you're just not too funny in the first place.
>>
>> > If someone can get me a way of posting a wav file to a NG, let me
>> > know and I will stick a microphone in front of the speaker and post
>> > whatever it records
>>
>> > Meanwhile I will take the speaker out and report back if/when I have
>> > a result
>>
>> But you've already subbed the speaker and the hiss went away or so I
>> thought I had previously read.
>
> Call me an old cynic and obviously I am not a technical expert but
> doesnt simple logic mandate that when you sub a speaker and the sound
> goes away, all it means is that (what I thought blindingly obvious from
> the symptoms and there being no apparent logical connection between the
> source and the hissing, which was why I posted here: Because "The
> problem is that you are describing something that doesn't seem to make
> any sense, or have any obvious explanation" so I wondered whether anyone
> had come across it before) the sound wasnt coming from the source? Or
> did I have to add that when i put the speaker back again, the sound came
> back?

Sorry if you have been labeled a troll. You seem to have enough sense to
effect a repair so please do.
From: Meat Plow on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:25:38 -0700, nesesu wrote:

> On Jul 31, 9:30 am, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> Call me an old cynic and obviously I am not a technical expert but
>> doesnt simple logic mandate that when you sub a speaker and the sound
>> goes away, all it means is that (what I thought blindingly obvious from
>> the symptoms and there being no apparent logical connection between the
>> source and the hissing, which was why I posted here: Because "The
>> problem is that you are describing something that doesn't seem to make
>> any sense, or have any obvious explanation" so I wondered whether
>> anyone had come across it before) the sound wasnt coming from the
>> source? Or did I have to add that when i put the speaker back again,
>> the sound came back?
>>
>> Your speakers are passive devices. They cannot make any sort of sound
>> on their own.
>>
>> If hissing is coming from one of them (but not the other, when driven
>> from the same amp), the speaker must be therefore be the source of the
>> hiss. But as there is nothing in the speaker that could, by itself,
>> create sound, then the speaker must be altering or distorting its input
>> to produce the hiss. However, you say that the presence or level of the
>> hiss is not related to the program material.
>>
>> This makes no sense. The logical conclusion is that A: you are grossly
>> mis-describing the symptoms, or B: this is a troll.
>>
>> I think it's B. I really don't have any more time for this
>> tsuris/tsimmes. Take your pick.
>
> There is a slight possibility that there is an issue with the crossover
> in this speaker that de-stabilizes the driving amplifier, causing an HF
> oscillation in the amp, yet the amp IS stable with the other speaker.
> I worked on an Pioneer amp that was marginally stable and would
> oscillate depending on the load. The clue it was oscillating was a
> 'sizzle' in the speaker and the overload lamp was always lit. Other than
> that it appeared to work fine to the owners old ears, although there was
> a slightly perceptable clipping distortion on louder passages. A slight
> adjustment of the R-C feedback in the amp returned the rock solid
> stability and eliminated the perceived 'hiss'. That system had been to
> two 'professional' shops; one said there was nothing wrong and the other
> said it could not be repaired.
>
> Neil S.

I wouldn't bet on it and I'm not going back through the thread because I
don't thread or keep or watch articles but, I thought Amanda said the
speaker hissed on its own without an amp powered up.
From: William Sommerwerck on
> Sorry if you have been labeled a troll. You seem to have
> enough sense to effect a repair so please do.

If you do effect a repair, please let us know what the problem was. I would
be delighted to learn that I was wrong.

From: William Sommerwerck on
> I wouldn't bet on it and I'm not going back through
> the thread because I don't thread or keep or watch
> articles but, I thought Amanda said the speaker
> hissed on its own without an amp powered up.

My memory is that she said it didn't -- the amp had to be on. But there
seemed to be no correlation between the program's content or volume.

Put a 'scope on the amp's output, if you can.

From: Michael A. Terrell on

Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:

> Thank you for your confidence everyone: If I wanted to wind everyone
> up, dont you think I would have found a funnier way of doing it than
> this?
>
> If someone can get me a way of posting a wav file to a NG, let me know
> and I will stick a microphone in front of the speaker and post
> whatever it records
>
> Meanwhile I will take the speaker out and report back if/when I have a
> result

1: Google doesn't allow any attachments.

2: This is not a binaries newsgroup so any message with an attachment
won't propagate to most news servers.