From: me on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:43:06 +0800, "abyss" <abyss_sujing(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I just bought Canon 500D with lens 18-55MM. I'm trying to take the snap to
>my 8 months baby in the room, but for one thing, it's a little bit dark in
>the room ,and on the other hand, my baby is always moving, so I just could
>not success to take a clear and sharp pic for him.
>
>Could anyone give me a tip?

First tell us waht settings you have used. Make sure the
AF-illuminator is on. Set Tv (shutter speed) mode and set a reasonable
shutter speed like 1/25 s or faster. Bump up the iso as needed to get
the apeture smaller (larger F-stop) if desired. You'll also want to
enable high iso NR if bumbing the iso and shooting directly to jpgs.
From: J�rgen Exner on
me <me(a)mine.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:43:06 +0800, "abyss" <abyss_sujing(a)hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I just bought Canon 500D with lens 18-55MM. I'm trying to take the snap to
>>my 8 months baby in the room, but for one thing, it's a little bit dark in
>>the room ,and on the other hand, my baby is always moving, so I just could
>>not success to take a clear and sharp pic for him.
>>
>>Could anyone give me a tip?
>

>First tell us waht settings you have used. Make sure the
>AF-illuminator is on. Set Tv (shutter speed) mode and set a reasonable
>shutter speed like 1/25 s or faster. Bump up the iso as needed to get
>the apeture smaller (larger F-stop) if desired.

I think you meant the other way round: large aperture (small F-number
because it's a fraction "f/....").

jue
From: Robert Coe on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 04:53:59 -0800 (PST), ransley <Mark_Ransley(a)Yahoo.com>
wrote:
: On Jan 17, 8:43�pm, "abyss" <abyss_suj...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
: > I just bought Canon 500D with lens 18-55MM. I'm trying to take the snap to
: > my 8 months baby in the room, but for one thing, it's a little bit dark in
: > the room ,and on the other hand, my baby is always moving, so I just could
: > not success to take a clear and sharp pic for him.
: >
: > Could anyone give me a tip?
: >
: > --
: >
: > Abyss Su
:
: Do you also need advise on driving a car, you bought a 800$ camera and
: dont know it has a flash or anything about it, your tip is read about
: it.

It is *so* "1990s" to expect a user to learn anything about the equipment
he/she needs to use. We get it at work all the time with computer users. When
you try to explain something to a user, the usual dismissal is "I'm not
technical". But occasionally I'll get a user honest enough to say, "Bob, I
don't *want* to learn anything about the computer. I just want to use it."

Bob
From: ransley on
On Jan 18, 2:25 pm, Robert Coe <b...(a)1776.COM> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 04:53:59 -0800 (PST), ransley <Mark_Rans...(a)Yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> : On Jan 17, 8:43 pm, "abyss" <abyss_suj...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> : > I just bought Canon 500D with lens 18-55MM. I'm trying to take the snap to
> : > my 8 months baby in the room, but for one thing, it's a little bit dark in
> : > the room ,and on the other hand, my baby is always moving, so I just could
> : > not success to take a clear and sharp pic for him.
> : >
> : > Could anyone give me a tip?
> : >
> : > --
> : >
> : > Abyss Su
> :
> : Do you also need advise on driving a car, you bought a 800$ camera and
> : dont know it has a flash or anything about it, your tip is read about
> : it.
>
> It is *so* "1990s" to expect a user to learn anything about the equipment
> he/she needs to use. We get it at work all the time with computer users. When
> you try to explain something to a user, the usual dismissal is "I'm not
> technical". But occasionally I'll get a user honest enough to say, "Bob, I
> don't *want* to learn anything about the computer. I just want to use it."
>
> Bob

Its a shame because of most all cameras unused potentail, the operator
is the limiting factor. He thinks because he spent near 1000$ he
deserves 1000$ pictures by turning it on and pressing the button. We
should be telling him he needs a 5d and L glass.
From: me on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:02:00 -0800, J�rgen Exner
<jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I think you meant the other way round: large aperture (small F-number
>because it's a fraction "f/....").

No, I meant smaller apertures to get more depth of field. By default
in shutter priority mode it should have the aperture wide open in a
dim environment. If you want proper expeosure with more dof you need
to bump up the iso. If this were a Nikon, it is much easier to use
aperture priority and auto-iso to conrol this automatically for you.