From: Peter Huebner on
In article <hj0hrr$isr$1(a)www.shinco.com>, abyss_sujing(a)hotmail.com
says...

> I just bought Canon 500D with lens 18-55MM. I'm trying to take the snap to
> my 8 months baby in the room, but for one thing, it's a little bit dark in
> the room ,and on the other hand, my baby is always moving, so I just could
> not success to take a clear and sharp pic for him.
>
> Could anyone give me a tip?

Three things:

Don't use the flash directly at the baby's eyes. It can hurt and be very
traumatic.

Get a strong lamp, or two, and direct the light at the ceiling so it
gets reflected down - this will give a good light for your camera.

Get somebody to help you and catch the baby's attention with a doll or a
teddy bear, moving it around, making it say things. You can even do this
yourself if you are confident to shoot the camera with the other hand
only.

-P.
From: DanP on
On Jan 18, 2:43 am, "abyss" <abyss_suj...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I just bought Canon 500D with lens 18-55MM. I'm trying to take the snap to
> my 8 months baby in the room, but for one thing, it's a little bit dark in
> the room ,and on the other hand, my baby is always moving, so I just could
> not success to take a clear and sharp pic for him.
>
> Could anyone give me a tip?
>
> --
>
> Abyss Su

I have a 1 1/2 month baby and a new 500D and very happy with my
results.

Consider:
1. Continuous mode shooting, 3fps. Your baby moves and this shows in
the shots but there would be a moment or two when your baby will be
still long enough.
2. Get a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. (I will have mine tomorrow). Is
fantastic for portraits, best tool for this job.
3. If you don't want to spend on the 50mm lens see it on flickr
http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=50mm+1.8+portrait+baby and think
again.

I would avoid the flash but turn on some extra light, can even be your
TV. Or shoot in daylight but I prefer soft light.
From: DanP on
On Jan 18, 2:43 am, "abyss" <abyss_suj...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I just bought Canon 500D with lens 18-55MM. I'm trying to take the snap to
> my 8 months baby in the room, but for one thing, it's a little bit dark in
> the room ,and on the other hand, my baby is always moving, so I just could
> not success to take a clear and sharp pic for him.
>
> Could anyone give me a tip?
>
> --
>
> Abyss Su

I suspect you have not read the manual. The bit that interests you is:
Set camera mode to AV, rotate the dial to get the lowest F number you
can (less zoom means lower number), press ISO button, pick 1600 then
shoot.
Portrait mode uses ISO 100 with long exposure, avoid it while shooting
children, night portrait uses the flash so poor results.

And take the manual with you when you go to the toilet next time and
leave it there.
From: DanP on
On Jan 21, 11:53 pm, DanP <dan.pe...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2:43 am, "abyss" <abyss_suj...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just bought Canon 500D with lens 18-55MM. I'm trying to take the snap to
> > my 8 months baby in the room, but for one thing, it's a little bit dark in
> > the room ,and on the other hand, my baby is always moving, so I just could
> > not success to take a clear and sharp pic for him.
>
> > Could anyone give me a tip?
>
> > --
>
> > Abyss Su
>
> I have a 1 1/2 month baby and a new 500D and very happy with my
> results.
>
> Consider:
> 2. Get a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. (I will have mine tomorrow). Is
> fantastic for portraits, best tool for this job.

This is me and my boy shot by my wife with the 500D with the 50mm f/
1.8 lens, hand held: http://www.flickr.com/photos/danpetre/4295709063/
..
Just to back up my previous advice.

DanP