From: Richard B. Gilbert on
hadi motamedi wrote:
> On Jul 31, 9:38 am, Chris Ridd <chrisr...(a)mac.com> wrote:

>>> Sorry . I need to stick on solaris8 as some of my old pre-installed
>>> applications just working on solaris8.Please let me know how to do it
>>> on solaris8?
>> As Ian said, run your old applications on Solaris 10. Solaris is
>> *highly* backwards compatible.
>>
>> If you really cannot, then run them in a Solaris 8 container, on Solaris 10.
>> --
>> Chris
>
> Thank you very much. According to you, I will try to install solaris10
> on it . I will send feedback to you upon completion . Please let me
> have your technical support if I get outstanding issues .

I would suggest that you make a FULL backup of your disk before you make
any changes! With that backup you can always go back to where you are
today!

Usually, a Solaris upgrade just installs and works. If your upgrade is
one of the rare case where something breaks, you need to be able to back
out the upgrade. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
From: Ian Collins on
On 07/31/10 05:29 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:
> On Jul 31, 9:24 am, Ian Collins<ian-n...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 07/31/10 05:21 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All
>>> Can you please let me know how can I add external usb disk to my
>>> solaris8 machine?
>>
>> The best way is to upgrade to Solaris 10. Seriously, USB on Solaris 8
>> is a dog.

[please don't quote signatures]

> Sorry . I need to stick on solaris8 as some of my old pre-installed
> applications just working on solaris8.Please let me know how to do it
> on solaris8?

If you are unable to reinstall applications on a new system, create a
flash archive of your existing one and use this to build a Solaris 8
container under the Solaris 10. The process is straightforward and well
documented.

I've migrated a couple of fragile legacy systems this way.

--
Ian Collins
From: Dariusz Dolecki on
On Aug 1, 12:11 am, Ian Collins <ian-n...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/31/10 05:29 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:

> >> The best way is to upgrade to Solaris 10.  Seriously, USB on Solaris 8
> >> is a dog.
>
> [please don't quote signatures]
>
> > Sorry . I need to stick on solaris8 as some of my old pre-installed
> > applications just working on solaris8.Please let me know how to do it
> > on solaris8?
>
> If you are unable to reinstall applications on a new system, create a
> flash archive of your existing one and use this to build a Solaris 8
> container under the Solaris 10.  The process is straightforward and well
> documented.
>
> I've migrated a couple of fragile legacy systems this way.
>
> --
> Ian Collins

Where is this documented? I could not find it, sorry for the bother, I
need this.
From: ITguy on

Did you even TRY Google? http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/containers/
From: hadi motamedi on
On Aug 1, 9:11 am, Ian Collins <ian-n...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/31/10 05:29 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:

> >> The best way is to upgrade to Solaris 10.  Seriously, USB on Solaris 8
> >> is a dog.
>
> [please don't quote signatures]
>
> > Sorry . I need to stick on solaris8 as some of my old pre-installed
> > applications just working on solaris8.Please let me know how to do it
> > on solaris8?
>
> If you are unable to reinstall applications on a new system, create a
> flash archive of your existing one and use this to build a Solaris 8
> container under the Solaris 10.  The process is straightforward and well
> documented.
>
> I've migrated a couple of fragile legacy systems this way.
>
> --
> Ian Collins

Sorry. My solaris8 applications can just be installed through
Jumpstart installation,as the following :
ok>boot cdrom - install
Can you please confirm if I can still make use of solaris containers
for this purpose ?