From: Jim Riggs on
On Aug 6, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Sandra Kachelmann wrote:

> Hmm...
>
> I just tried to update an outdated system with:
>
> $ portmaster --no-confirm -G -m 'BATCH=yes' -a
>
> after a while it asked me whether I want to delete pcre - so -m
> BATCH=yes does not work.

Somewhere along the thread you lost your -d.

From: "B. Estrade" on
On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 04:37:42PM +0200, Sandra Kachelmann wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Sandra Kachelmann
> > <s.kachelmann(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hmm...
> >>
> >> I just tried to update an outdated system with:
> >>
> >> $ portmaster --no-confirm -G -m 'BATCH=yes' -a
> >>
> >> after a while it asked me whether I want to delete pcre - so -m
> >> BATCH=yes does not work.
> >
> > Come on, please read the man page.
>
> Ignore me if you don't want to help. The man page is too huge.

The man page is not that big, I just checked due to my interest in
this thread. portmaster seems to be very configurable and scriptable,
but I would suggest that among the "examples" in the man page be the
idiom(s) one might want to use if a complete batch process is desired.

Cheers,
Brett

From: Doug Barton on
On 08/06/2010 04:52, Martin Schweizer wrote:
> Hello Sandra
>
> I was in a similar situation. I found the following paramters very usefull:
>
> portmaster -a -d --no-confirm
>
> -a: Take all installed ports
> -d: Delete any dependicies

That's not what -d means. You would be better off with the option to not
delete any distfiles, along with occasionally running the standalone
feature to clean distfiles.

hth,

Doug

a domain name makeover! http://SupersetSolutions.com/

-- Pablo Picasso

From: Doug Barton on
On 08/06/2010 05:44, Sandra Kachelmann wrote:

> Thank you for your answer (and everyone else who replied). This is
> exactly the reason why I keep going back to portupgrade. Default
> OPTIONS almost always work for me - if not I go to the ports directory
> and run make config then let the --batch option of portinstall deal
> with everything.
>
> It would be extremely nice if there would be a --batch option that
> would act like portupgrade.

Now that you've been more specific about what you want, I have good news
for you. :) In the current development version of portmaster I have
revamped the -G option so that it acts more like BATCH=YES in the sense
that it specifically skips all OPTIONS dialogs. Therefore you should be
able to accomplish at least this part of what you want with -G alone,
without using BATCH=YES at all.

I plan to commit the update very soon, hopefully this weekend. I'm
currently doing an extensive code review/whitespace realignment/etc.

From: Jim Trigg on
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Doug Barton <dougb(a)freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 08/06/2010 04:34, jhell wrote:
>> Do not prompt for a backup package creation failure
>
> I need to add an option for this, but it will likely be an "expert"
> option that you can set in the rc file. The theory is that package
> creation failure should be a rare thing, and since portmaster has no way
> to know what packages are really critical to any given system it treats
> inability to safely recover from an upgrade failure as a critical error.
> However, having the ability to disable this is an oft-requested feature,
> I just haven't gotten to it yet.
>
>> and force creation of whatever you have on the system already?
>
> Not sure what this means, can you explain it in more detail?

One example I have (unfortunately): I accidentally wiped out
/usr/local/. Reinstalling all my ports was easy -- first reinstall
portmaster and then run "portmaster -af". The problem was that for
every single port I had to say "Yes, ignore the fact that the port
wasn't already there". So I had to tend the process all the way
through. An option to force ignoring the package creation failure
would allow that to be an unattended process.

Jim